MD freezes up

fasquak

18 Jun, 2010 11:30 PM

I am using MD on a file saved on idisc. It freezes up after about 10 minutes of working with transactions. I can minimize it and access the menu to ask it to quit but it doesn't quit. When I bring it back up from minimizing it is grey (no transactions visible). Sometimes if I ask it to quit and wait a while it will ask me to save then it will shut down and restart OK. Today it won't shut down. Haven't tried to force quit yet - not sure if it saved my work.

1. 1 Posted by Ben Spencer on 19 Jun, 2010 02:06 PM

Hi Annie

If your internet connection to iDisk is very slow or unreliable I could imagine that the auto save in Moneydance is timing out when trying to save. Would you try saving your data file to your local disk rather than to the idisk and and let me know if that resolves the problem. To do this run Moneydance and select File->"Save as" and select a local location.

Sincerely
    Ben Spencer

2. 2 Posted by jharlow on 19 Jun, 2010 09:49 PM

I don't think this issue is limited to iDisks. Since the most recent upgrade, I have seen repeated hangs, usually after the screensaver comes up for a while. I keep my master .md file on an attached (Firewire) local disk. It behaves exactly as Annie says: you can access the menu and tell it to quit, but it won't. Activity Monitor and Force Quit do not show it as unresponsive. The only way out that I have found is to force quit and restart from the backup file, which happily always works without data loss...

I also see similar hangs when I tell it to download all accounts, although this is sporadic and I can't force it to happen.

FYI I am running MacOSX 10.5.8 on a G4-1.25GHz iMac with 2 GB of memory. Moneydance version is 2010r3(751), Java version is 1.5.0_24

3. 3 Posted by fasquak on 20 Jun, 2010 12:24 AM

Ben's solution seems to be working. I've been working on a file saved on my HD all afternoon and no freezes on save. Realized that when I previously asked it to save it did not show the blue save bar along the bottom of the window. It works fine while not connected to idisc. I have Verizon DSL thru my phoneline. Don't have access to cable.
    I have MacOS X 10.6.3 2.4GHz 4MB
    I am VERY HAPPY with Moneydance. Thank you!!! If there are any other suggestions for working thru idisc I would appreciate hearing them. I have 2 computers I'd like to keep sync'd.
    Thanks for your quick response!

4. 4 Posted by fasquak on 20 Jun, 2010 02:56 AM

After saving my work on my laptop, I saved a copy to idisc and tried to open the file on my desktop through idisc but I could not find the most recent file (can see it on idisc on my laptop but not on the desktop). Tried to open MD and got an error code -006
    it is working fine on my laptop.

5. 5 Posted by Angie Rauscher on 21 Jun, 2010 02:21 PM

Annie,

It may simply be that it is taking idisc a long time to sync this file, especially if you have a slow or intermittent internet connection. Would you please try waiting for a few hours after saving the copy to idisc and see if it shows up properly on your desktop? If that doesn't work, do let me know and I'll look into other hints.

Angie Rauscher
    Moneydance Support

6. 6 Posted by fasquak on 21 Jun, 2010 04:26 PM

I was thinking the same thing. When I experienced it last I was not able to even open MD on my desktop and if there is one thing I've learned (finally) is to walk away for a while. I left the issue for a while and was able to open the idisc file on my desktop with no trouble today. I will save to the HD while working on it then save to the idisc when done.
    I'll have to take up the inet issue with Verizon when I have time...
    You guys are awesome with your support. Thank you!

7. 7 Posted by fasquak on 21 Jun, 2010 04:42 PM

One last quick question - what do I do with the Unix files I find on idisc that do not open?

8. 8 Posted by Ben Spencer on 21 Jun, 2010 05:05 PM

I am not sure which files you are referring to. Perhaps you are referring to the auto save file and or backup data files created by Moneydance. Moneydance create an auto save file of you data file at regular intervals. it has the same name as your file and is appended with a chevron. e.g. "myaccounts.md^". I would recommend leaving this file where it is. Backup files have the same file name and are appended with the date of creation. What you do with them is a matter of preference.

Ben Spencer

9. 9 Posted by jharlow on 25 Jul, 2010 04:12 AM

Hey Ben... I never received a response to my comment on Annie's discussion here, so I posted a new thread just now. This problem is not limited to remote discs; I get it on my local drives as well. See new posting tonight....

10. 10 Posted by Angie Rauscher on 25 Jul, 2010 05:54 PM

Jharlow,

Thank you for creating a new thread, we will continue the discussion of your issue there.

Please let me know if I can be of further assistance,

Angie Rauscher
    Moneydance Support

11. Angie Rauscher closed this discussion on 24 Jul, 2011 08:03 PM.

Comments are currently closed for this discussion. You can start a new one.

Keyboard shortcuts

Generic

? Show this help
ESC Blurs the current field

Comment Form

r Focus the comment reply box
^ + ↩ Submit the comment

You can use Command ⌘ instead of Control ^ on Mac