Annual non-prorated budget items display incorrectly

s©tt

15 Jul, 2010 02:20 PM

I have created a budget with several items in them. When displaying the budget for any particular period (e.g. month to date), then items with "Annually (not prorated)" do not display correctly if the actual expense amount for the period being displayed is 0.

For example, I have a budget with start date 01/01/2010 and end date 31/12/2010. In it, I have the item:
   Hobby:Photography, €145, Annually (not prorated), start date 01/01/2010, end date 31/12/2010.
I spent €22.50 in January, and nothing since then.
It's now July and if I display the budget for "this month", then the bar next to it shows as red on both the budget and home pages, and the amounts show as €0 spent (which is correct) of €0 budgeted (but it should read €145). If I hover above the bar on the home page, it displays "-- %" (presumably since 0/0 is undefined).

Version info: Moneydance 2010r3 (751), Win7x64, Java 1.6.0_21

1. 1 Posted by Tom Freeman on 21 Jul, 2010 06:59 PM

HI,

When you use the non-prorated function on the budget reports it does keep track of the expenditures but only within the time span it was set up in. If you switch to a year span or year to date span you will see the info as you expected. When you switch to a monthly view you will see only what you have budgeted and spent for that month.

While you have budgeted 145 GBP for the year non-prorated, moneydance recognizes that for July you have nothing budgeted for Hobby. If you had a Hobby transaction for that month is would show what was spent and the total budget for that account.

Tom

2. 2 Posted by s©tt on 21 Jul, 2010 07:09 PM

Hi Tom,

The problem is not with its tracking of expenditures. You are correct, it does that properly. The problem is with its display of the budgeted amount and in the percentage spent. In the example I give above, it tracks the expenditures properly as I already said (i.e. 0 spent in the period displayed), HOWEVER it shows the budgeted amount as 0, whereas it should be 145 (the original budget, non-prorated), and it displays the bar in red rather than green/grey and - if you hover over the bar - a percentage of "--%", whereas it should have been "0%" for the period displayed.

Hint: the "--%" is already a sign that something is wrong, because of the 0 budget it is not able to calculate a correct percentage, since 0/0 is undefined.

Try the example above, exactly as I've given it. You'll find that it does it correctly if you change from annually non-prorated to, say, monthly non-prorated.

Scott.

3. 3 Posted by Tom Freeman on 21 Jul, 2010 07:56 PM

Scott,

I've put in a ticket with the developers with your suggestion on including the total annual non-prorated budget when in the monthly view.

The ticket is attached to this response.

Tom

4. 4 Posted by s©tt on 21 Jul, 2010 09:17 PM

Thanks Tom, but just to clarify, I am not asking them to add a feature, but to correct a bug. If you change the Hobby:Photography example above from Annually non-prorated to Tri-Monthly non-prorated, then all of the information (budget amount, bar and percentage) display correctly, even in the monthly view (the budget amount is 145, the bar is grey because there have been no expenditures in the period being displayed and the percentage is 0%). The only situation which seems to cause the bug is where the budget is set to Annually non-prorated.

regards,
    Scott.

5. System closed this discussion on 31 Mar, 2015 03:29 PM.

Comments are currently closed for this discussion. You can start a new one.

Keyboard shortcuts

Generic

? Show this help
ESC Blurs the current field

Comment Form

r Focus the comment reply box
^ + ↩ Submit the comment

You can use Command ⌘ instead of Control ^ on Mac

Recent Discussions

27 Jan, 2021 10:37 AM
27 Jan, 2021 10:36 AM
27 Jan, 2021 10:09 AM