Can't open my Moneydance document

Paul Evans

19 Jul, 2010 07:18 PM

I've seen this listed in your help chains, but ............

Moneydance IS listed in my Applications folder - and the documents ARE listed in my Documents folder.
And yet, when I try to open a Moneydance document, I get the message; "There is no default application specified to open the document Moneydance 03-26-10.md-2010-07-19".
I should add that I'm pretty new to the iMac.
Thank you in advance for your help,
Paul

1. 1 Posted by Ben Spencer on 19 Jul, 2010 08:46 PM

Hi Paul

Moneydance appends the date to the end of a file name when it creates a backup file. The file "Moneydance 03-26-10.md-2010-07-19" is the backup file made on 2010-07-19. You can open these backup files manually in Moneydance by renaming them to remove the date at the end. e.g. rename the file to "Moneydance 03-26-10.md". However you should already have a file called "Moneydance 03-26-10.md" somewhere that is likely newer than the backup file. I encourage you to search for a file called "Moneydance 03-26-10.md" The date in that file name must have been manually entered into the file name when you first saved it.

Ben Spencer
    Moneydance Support

2. 2 Posted by Michael Radclif... on 19 Jul, 2010 09:56 PM

Same problem but on Win 7. I just downloaded the upgrade, when I started the application, I am prompted to open an exiting file (or create a new one) However none of my existing files are listed in the directory where they do exist. It appears you need to go into the directory and append a .md to the existing file, then associate the file and then double click on it.
    I have been using the program for about a year. This is the second time I have basic simple problem with an upgrade. Do any of the developers test these with an existing file to make sure it is seamless before an upgrade is issued?

3. 3 Posted by Paul Evans on 19 Jul, 2010 10:35 PM

Hey Ben,You've always been helpful and I thank you.

I am, however, confused. If the addition of the date invalidates the
    backup, why does Moneydance name it like that? (Why bother if you can't
    open it?)
    How do you re-name the file? How would you open an older file if you wanted
    it?

Paul

===================================

4. 4 Posted by Ben Spencer on 20 Jul, 2010 03:40 PM

Hi Paul

While possible It is not intended that Moneydance users manually open their backup files. We intentionally rename the file such that it cannot be opened to prevent users inadvertently opening an old backup file instead on their current file and becoming alarmed at the thought that they have lost data. Moneydance has a built in feature that is activated should the primary file become corrupted that will present the list of available backup files asking the user if they want to open one.

How you rename a file depends on the operating system you are using. On a mac find the icon for your file. Click once on that icon then click and hold the mouse button down on the file name below it. After about a second of holding down the mouse button the text will become editable and you can type over the file name. However it should not be necessary to open a backup file. You should be able to locate your primary data file and open that instead.

Sincerely
    Ben Spencer

5. 5 Posted by Paul Evans on 20 Jul, 2010 03:47 PM

Wow. That's quite clear.
    Thanks,
    Paul

6. Angie Rauscher closed this discussion on 20 Jul, 2010 05:18 PM.

Comments are currently closed for this discussion. You can start a new one.

Keyboard shortcuts

Generic

? Show this help
ESC Blurs the current field

Comment Form

r Focus the comment reply box
^ + ↩ Submit the comment

You can use Command ⌘ instead of Control ^ on Mac

Recent Discussions

27 Jan, 2021 10:58 AM
27 Jan, 2021 10:37 AM
27 Jan, 2021 10:09 AM