Fatal error, can not access my MD info!

woody14619

21 Jul, 2010 06:51 PM

I was updating my MD info and noticed I had a "blank" category for things not categorized with a total in it. So, I looked through a lot of them (many were old imported transactions from years ago), and fixed them all. I then told MoneyDance to "hide" that category, it produced an error and closed. Now when I try to open my MD file I get the same error (error -100663296) and the box closes. MoneyDance never starts!

1. 1 Posted by woody14619 on 21 Jul, 2010 07:08 PM

Btw, I'm using MD2010 on windows (I think it's r3?) with Java 1.6. I'm able to open the file on my linux machine (Md2010r2,also running Java 1.6). I can't seem to get MoneyDance to start at all on the Windows machine now... even after removing the drive with the MasterMD file on it.

2. 2 Posted by Ben Spencer on 21 Jul, 2010 07:15 PM

It might be that your preferences have become corrupted. Please go to C:\Documents and Settings\your-user-account\ and look for a folder called ".moneydance" without the quotes. Rename that folder to ".moneydance.old". Then try running Moneydance again. This will restore Moneydance to its default settings. If moneydance does not produce the error message again you will need to tell it where your moneydance data file is located. Do this by selecting File->Open and then browse to your .md data file. Resetting Moneydance to it default state will also mean you will need to re-enter your license key. If you don't know what it is let me know your full name and I will look it up for you.

Sincerely
    Ben Spencer

3. 3 Posted by woody14619 on 21 Jul, 2010 08:05 PM

Thanks for the quick reply Ben.

I tried that and it still wasn't starting. On a hunch I pulled up the task manager and looked around, it seems MD was running in the background, but there was no UI. I force-killed it, then tried the re-start and it came up asking for registration like a fresh install. So I'm not sure if it was removing the preferences file or not, but it's happy now. (And I still have my key. Love how e-mail baskets never get lost. ;)

It looks like everything is still intact, and the changes I made before the save worked. The version I have on the windows machine is r3 (751). There shouldn't be any issue with using different versions on the same file right? I should probably update to r3 on the N900 as well though. :)

4. 4 Posted by Ben Spencer on 21 Jul, 2010 09:40 PM

There was a change to the file format between MD2008 and MD2010. If you are using MD2010 on both machines you should be fine.

Ben

5. Angie Rauscher closed this discussion on 24 Jul, 2011 08:03 PM.

Comments are currently closed for this discussion. You can start a new one.

Keyboard shortcuts

Generic

? Show this help
ESC Blurs the current field

Comment Form

r Focus the comment reply box
^ + ↩ Submit the comment

You can use Command ⌘ instead of Control ^ on Mac

Recent Discussions

27 Jan, 2021 10:37 AM
27 Jan, 2021 10:36 AM
27 Jan, 2021 10:09 AM