End Statement Balance does not become the next Beginning Statement Balance

David

02 Jul, 2009 12:10 AM

I am on a Max OS X 10.4.11. Moneydance 2008r3 (631), Java - 1.5.0_19

This seems to be an issue with the credit card accounts as I have not encountered it with the bank accounts. The ending statement balance does not become the beginning balance for the next reconcile period. With one credit card account I went back and unreconciled the entire account and all was going well as the ending balance became the beginning balance for the next statement. But when I left that account and came back to it the beginning balance had changed and the beginning statement balance amount can not be changed. MD had changed the amount and I can not figure out why. I have also had entries i put in manually become marked as reconciled when I had not reconciled yet.

1. 1 Posted by Ben Spencer on 02 Jul, 2009 03:45 PM

Hi David

The beginning balance for the reconciler is the sum of all transactions that have been marked as cleared plus the initial balance for the account. If you have marked any transactions as cleared after the the end date of the last statement, the beginning statement balance will change. Please make sure all transactions after the end of the last statement are marked as uncleared. You can do this from the transaction register by selecting the transactions, right clicking and selecting mark as uncleared.

Unless you have discovered a bug the only way, other than through the reconcile window, that a transaction can be marked as cleared is by right clicking on it and selecting mark as cleared. Is it possible that you inadvertently did this? I have not experienced transactions spontaneously being marked as cleared and am not receiving reports of this from other users.

Sincerely

Ben Spencer

2. 2 Posted by David on 02 Jul, 2009 10:59 PM

Thanks for the response. I have not used and ending date as only one credit card account has given me the box to mark to put in an ending date none of the others accounts have given me that option which does seem odd. So an ending date does not apply.

I had not gone into the reconcile window yet but was just entering transactions in the credit card account, I was just tabbing through entering the information going from category to amount not right clicking at all, not even using the mouse. When I pulled up the Reconcile Window I noticed the beginning balance was not correct so canceled the reconcile window and that is when I noticed that most of the new entries where marked as reconciled. Was it possible that I inadvertently cleared them, I really don't think so since it does take an extra step or or 2 to get them marked as cleared I was not doing it. Thanks

3. 3 Posted by Ben Spencer on 13 Sep, 2009 04:25 PM

Hi David

I am sorry I haven't responded to you sooner. I am not sure how this case slipped through the cracks, my apologies.

Do you still want assistance with the reconciliation process?

Sincerely

Ben Spencer

4. 4 Posted by mike on 25 Nov, 2009 01:37 PM

I do. In the 5 months I've used MD, I have yet to have any bank account or credit account carry the closing balance forward correctly. I spent two days reviewing all the transactions for my primary bank account, and I'm still off a considerable amount. The best idea I have for you is allow the beginning balance to be entered for each period like Quicken did for manually balanced accounts.

Mike

5. 5 Posted by mike on 03 Dec, 2009 12:50 PM

I have since spent several hours going through every transaction in all my accounts and finally have them in balance. I will see if the next month poses similar problems.

Mike

6. Angie Rauscher closed this discussion on 24 Jul, 2011 07:04 PM.

Comments are currently closed for this discussion. You can start a new one.

Keyboard shortcuts

Generic

? Show this help
ESC Blurs the current field

Comment Form

r Focus the comment reply box
^ + ↩ Submit the comment

You can use Command ⌘ instead of Control ^ on Mac