two users on same mac having trouble with saving file

itsroger

02 Jul, 2009 04:44 AM

Hopefully this will be an easy question... We have one of the latest iMac 24 computers with the latest 10.5 whatever leapard system. We have the latest Moneydance for MAC version. My wife and I are set up as two different log-on/users on this same computer. We each make our own entries into Moneydance, but want to use the same file. When either I or she has used Moneydance on the same day, either her or I get a message saying we don't have writes to either over-write the data file or save the file to the same location each time. This causes us to rename the data file and tell each other what data file to open when we go to use your program. This is getting old. I tried everything, to allowing access (as we are both administrators on this computer) to storing the data file in the shared users folder and everyday we face the same issue. Can you advise where to store this data file and how we can both use it? I have each side of Moneydance (her's and mine) set up NOT to make any backups, as we have Time-Machine set up (along with an online backup service). Yes we have chosen to encrypt the data file.

Thank you.

1. 1 Posted by Ben Spencer on 02 Jul, 2009 02:52 PM

With OS X you need to create a group that both users are a member of and set the access permission of the Moneydance data file to allow access from that group.

This isn't a Moneydance issue this is just mow mac OS X handles multiple users and file permissions.

Here is a link to the apple help page for creating groups on 10.5

http://docs.info.apple.com/article.html?path=Mac/10.5/en/11626.html

Sincerely

Ben Spencer

2. Ben Spencer closed this discussion on 02 Jul, 2009 02:52 PM.

3. itsroger re-opened this discussion on 03 Jul, 2009 12:07 AM

4. 2 Posted by itsroger on 03 Jul, 2009 12:07 AM

I tried this and it's no different than setting file permission
    levels. Anyway, I followed this direction and still can't save the
    file. I make changes in Moneydance and save them to the same folder
    (shared in group) then my wife makes changes in Moneydance hours
    later, hits the close button, the program asks if she wants to save,
    she replies yes and it won't save under the same file name and in the
    same folder. She has to rename the file everytime. Then when I get
    on the computer, I have to see what she renamed the file with in order
    to keep Moneydance up to the most recent changes.

She gets this warning when she trys to save the changes under the same
    file/folder name as previous: "Errorsaving file:java.io.FileNotFound
    Exception:" This sounds like a java or Moneydance issue to me.

We can share other files and itunes music and etc. and never get this
    kind of message. Please help more. Thx.

5. 3 Posted by Ben Spencer on 16 Sep, 2009 06:39 PM

I am sorry I have nt responded sooner.

I am afraid that I am not sure what the problem is here. If you are getting a file not found exception are you sure that you computer has the remote drive mounted? I believe that OS X does not automatically mount reote directories on startup.

I am inclined to believe that this type of question. i.e. managing user groups in OS X is outside the scope of the Moneydance forum and am not sure that I am able to assist you further.

I do however have a alternative recommendation. There is a free service called dropbox. I personally use this to share my moneydance data between multiple computer on a variety of different operating systems. Other Moneydance users also use this service and are very happy with it. Dropbox is a service that stores your files on a remote server on the internet. You install a small application on each of the computers you want to use and dropbox will maintain a folder on each of those machines, and sync the files stored in that folder with all the other machines you have dropbox installed on. Here is the link to the site if you want to experiment with it.

http://www.getdropbox.com/

The service removes the headache of users and file permission even when using different operating systems.

Sincerely

Ben Spencer

6. Raimund Buchholz closed this discussion on 31 Jan, 2010 11:25 PM.

Comments are currently closed for this discussion. You can start a new one.

Keyboard shortcuts

Generic

? Show this help
ESC Blurs the current field

Comment Form

r Focus the comment reply box
^ + ↩ Submit the comment

You can use Command ⌘ instead of Control ^ on Mac