manual match downloaded transaction

pabigot

22 Aug, 2009 11:31 PM

I've downloaded transaction information from Fidelity and have it queued up to record, but Moneydance insists that each one is a "New Transaction (No Match)". They are matchable: I can click on the transaction I want it to match, which is off by one day but has the right amount. But I can't find a way to make Moneydance accept that as a match.

How do I force it to match to a specific transaction?

1. 1 Posted by -Kevin N. on 23 Aug, 2009 02:07 AM

Hi pabigot, I don't think it's possible in the current version of MD. There's talk of improving the user matching abilities in the 2010 version. For now just Delete the duplicate downloaded transactions. -Kevin N.

2. 2 Posted by Ben Spencer on 23 Aug, 2009 01:51 PM

Hi pabigot,

If the amount is the same and you are only off by one day I am surprised that Moneydance does not offer it as a match. What do you have set for the option "Only match downloaded transactions that are at most [ ] days apart". See the attached screen shot. The option is under File->Preferences->Networking.

Sincerely

Ben Spencer

3. 3 Posted by pabigot on 25 Aug, 2009 01:57 AM

Does it look like the sample database I sent for the other problem will help identify why the transaction does not match?

Peter

4. 4 Posted by Ben Spencer on 26 Aug, 2009 02:44 PM

Hi pabigot

I cannot see any reason why the transaction included in the sample xml file you sent would not match. And I can only see the transaction that is in the register so I cannot compare them to determine what the problem might be. Just to be sure that I am understanding you correctly.

Ben

5. 5 Posted by pabigot on 26 Aug, 2009 04:44 PM

Doesn't the demonstration file include the unresolved downloaded
    transaction, as well as the transaction in the register that I believe it
    should match? When I clicked on the "you have unresolved transactions" link
    at the bottom right of the register I could see the problem.

Peter

6. 6 Posted by Ben Spencer on 29 Aug, 2009 06:48 PM

You are correct your file does include the downloaded transaction. My mistake. I am not sure why it is not matching. I'll have to check in with the developer and likely run the debugger while processing your file. I'll get back to you when I have more information.

Sincerely

Ben Spencer

7. 7 Posted by pabigot on 05 Sep, 2009 11:05 AM

What's particularly odd is that it is finding the transaction, since that little box that highlights the possible match is correct. However, clicking "record" ends up putting it in as a new transaction.

For some reason, deleting the transaction isn't working reliably for me anymore either, i.e. next time I download, some of them show up again.

8. 8 Posted by Ben Spencer on 11 Sep, 2009 08:12 PM

Hi pabigot

I finally got around to asking the developer about the matching problem you are experiencing. I am sorry this has take me so long. I have no excuse.

The answer is that transactions imported into the investment accounts are not ran through the matching algorithm. This is deliberate as typical transaction in investment accounts are rather complicated and we do not expect users to enter them by hand. I am sorry I did not have this information to hand when I first read your enquiry. We have an intention to implement matching in investment acounts at some point and this is not something that is going to happen in the short term.

Sincerely

Ben Spencer

9. 9 Posted by pabigot on 12 Sep, 2009 12:08 AM

Well, y'all are doing something, since it does find and display the correct matching transactions in a fixed window at the bottom of the screen. It just won't let me accept the match.

The current matching algorithm works fine. Rather than write a new one, a better priority would be to allow users to specify the matching transaction, and accept it even if it wasn't one Moneydance suggested. I think I saw that was already on somebody's wish-list.

(Doesn't anybody else transfer money into investment accounts in order to purchase securities? Certainly those are ones that would normally be entered by hand, as they are paired with entries in other accounts.)

10. 10 Posted by pabigot on 12 Sep, 2009 01:43 PM

My mistake; looking closer, the box on the bottom of the screen looks like the transaction, but is just a new one that's very very close.

I still think a manual override override is a critical feature, but we might as well close this one.

Comments are currently closed for this discussion. You can start a new one.

Keyboard shortcuts

Generic

? Show this help
ESC Blurs the current field

Comment Form

r Focus the comment reply box
^ + ↩ Submit the comment

You can use Command ⌘ instead of Control ^ on Mac