Investment Account Bank Register and Register balances do not agree

Dave Kremer

16 May, 2019 02:07 PM

The 2019 versions of MoneyDance have a problem where the Bank Register and Register for an invesment account do not have matching balances. The register has the correct balance and the bank register has an incorrect balance (a large negative balance in my case). The 2017 versions of MoneyDance showed the correct balance in both registers.

The following threads have reported this issue with no response from MoneyDance support. One was closed by the system with no response and the other closed by the system after a post from a user:

https://infinitekind.tenderapp.com/discussions/problems/51057-2019-bank-register
https://infinitekind.tenderapp.com/discussions/investments/4041-bank-register-within-investments

Is this behavior a feature or a bug? If it's viewed as a feature, please explain why and what value there is in having a wildly inaccurate balance on the bank register.

1. System closed this discussion on 15 Aug, 2019 02:10 PM.

2. Dave Kremer re-opened this discussion on 09 Jun, 2020 11:20 PM

3. 1 Posted by Dave Kremer on 09 Jun, 2020 11:20 PM

So after reopening https://infinitekind.tenderapp.com/discussions/suggestions/9036-transaction-merge and getting a response, I think I'll try my luck with this one. I know it's only a year old, but it's worth trying. :-)

4. 2 Posted by Bob B on 30 Jun, 2020 07:27 PM

I to have the same question. I don't know if the balances are supposed to match, but they definitely don't. I decided to test with a brand new MD file created with the new 2020 release. The bank register does not match the other register after a buy or sell tx. The cash received/spent does not impact or adjust bank register balance.

So again, is this a bug or just the way it works?

If this is just the way it works, what does the balance in the bank register tell you?

5. 3 Posted by Dave Kremer on 30 Jun, 2020 07:58 PM

The lack of answers from support or the developer for questions like this have made me decide to move on from MoneyDance. For whatever reason, they seem to believe that ignoring questions is better than providing answers of any type when the question requires something other than a simple response..

I even tried asking about the lack of responses in a private message to support and they ignored that as well.

6. 4 Posted by Bob B on 01 Jul, 2020 02:27 AM

I have usually had very good responses from MD. Sometimes it takes a few day but they have always gotten back to me.

Reply to this discussion

Internal reply

Formatting help / Preview (switch to plain text) No formatting (switch to Markdown)

Attaching KB article:

»

Attached Files

You can attach files up to 10MB

If you don't have an account yet, we need to confirm you're human and not a machine trying to post spam.

Keyboard shortcuts

Generic

? Show this help
ESC Blurs the current field

Comment Form

r Focus the comment reply box
^ + ↩ Submit the comment

You can use Command ⌘ instead of Control ^ on Mac