Moneydance 2019 printing error

duncanfinlayson33

09 Oct, 2019 04:30 PM

I have just upgraded to 2019, and cannot print to an HP printer, but can print to pdf. This seems to be the same problem is in a discussion "Can not print after update" started by Robert Macdonald in Jan19, the last word on which was from Sean Riley in May, the conclusion being that a new Java code release was needed and not yet available. The discussion was closed in August.
My version is 2019.3(1880).
Can support staff please say what the current situation is?

1. Support Staff 1 Posted by Maddy on 13 Oct, 2019 09:30 AM

Hi Duncan,

We are sorry to hear about the problem you have encountered.

We would recommend upgrading to the latest free preview version.
    Moneydance 2019.4 (1888) is available to download from this page

For a full list of improvements in the preview version, please refer to this page.

Build 1888:
    - Fixed report printing problem from last preview build - Improved report printing clarity, column sizing, and spacing

I hope this information is helpful. Please let me know if you have further questions or need any assistance.

--
    Maddy, Infinite Kind Support

2. 2 Posted by duncanfinlayson... on 13 Oct, 2019 11:26 AM

Hi Maddy.
    Build 1888 has the same error:
    <html>Error: <b>An unexpected error occurred null</b>
    I am running Windows 10 version 1803 and the printer is an HP Officejet
    Microsoft Print to PDF works with no problem except that there are no
    margins, so text is lost to the left when the pdf is printed.
    I have also noticed it seems no longer possible to change the width of
    columns in a report.
    You can imagine it is a bit frustrating to go backwards when there is a new
    release. I am reluctant however to go back to 2017, because 2019 has fixed
    the problem of large file sizes and long shutdown time.
    Any further help possible?
    Best regards
    Duncan

3. 3 Posted by duncanfinlayson... on 13 Oct, 2019 02:16 PM

Hi Maddy,
    Having read the build log it seems that column autosizing was put in by build 1884. If that means they are also fixed, that is not really an advance, as truncating longer titles is often necessary to get a balanced display.
    Duncan

4. Support Staff 4 Posted by Maddy on 14 Oct, 2019 09:29 AM

Hi Duncan,

Unfortunately, it seems that this is a known issue with certain printer drivers on Windows. Our lead developer confirmed that it will be fixed by the next preview which will be released, as soon as possible.

I flagged this discussion, so that you will be notified as soon as the new preview becomes available.

--
    Maddy, Infinite Kind Support

5. 5 Posted by davet65 on 04 Nov, 2019 03:05 AM

I have the same problem with 1888 running on a Mac OS10.13.6, and it isn't printer driver related. I cannot adjust column width on-screen when the report is first generated as I cannot see any grab bars to drag.

6. 6 Posted by duncanfinlayson... on 11 Dec, 2019 03:49 PM

Hi Maddy,
    Having recently installed 2019.4 1896, I find that the error encountered when printing to an HP Officejet 4620 is no longer present, and printing is possible.
    However the print is scaled to the printable limit, and is not affected by File>Page Setup>Set Margins.. Also, as noted by davet65 and myself, the column sizes are no longer user adjustable on the display, which would in turn affect the size of the printout.
    So two questions:
    1. How can I set reasonable print margins (the default is supposed to be 1" 25.4mm, but I can only print with 6mm margins)?
    2. Are you going to reinstate the ability of the user to change column widths?

Many thanks
    Duncan

7. 7 Posted by Art on 13 Dec, 2019 03:21 PM

I think the print margin issue and column widths will become more important as tax season rolls around and people want to print year-end reports. There are workarounds like saving the report to an html file, opening it with a browser and printing from there or use copy and paste the report into excel, but these aren't really good solutions.

I'm glad to see IK has taken on improving reports and hopefully the margin/print control issue will get fixed soon.

Art

8. System closed this discussion on 13 Mar, 2020 03:30 PM.

Comments are currently closed for this discussion. You can start a new one.

Keyboard shortcuts

Generic

? Show this help
ESC Blurs the current field

Comment Form

r Focus the comment reply box
^ + ↩ Submit the comment

You can use Command ⌘ instead of Control ^ on Mac