Deleted transaction comes back

dlbrett

15 Nov, 2019 02:30 PM

Months ago, I accidentally assigned a transaction to the wrong account.

-On a Monday, I was looking at the "paid-to" account and assigned it to the correct "paid-from" account.
-On a Tuesday, I was looking at the "paid-from" account and didn't notice it was already in the ledger. I assigned it to the incorrect "paid-to" account.
-I later found the duplication and deleted the incorrect "paid-to" transaction. After deleting, the account balances were correct.

Several days later, the deleted transaction returned from the dead and I deleted it again. Since then, it has returned many times and I have deleted it each time. How do I delete it forever?

Don

1. Support Staff 1 Posted by Maddy on 16 Nov, 2019 11:25 AM

Hi Don,
    Thank you for contacting Moneydance support.

Moneydance contains a feature called "Batch Change", which allows you to make changes to a single transaction, or multiple transactions at once.

Batch Change allows you to make changes to the Description, Check#, Memo, Tags, Category, and Account fields in the register.

For further details about this function, please refer to this article in the Knowledge Base.

I hope this information is helpful. Please let me know if you have further questions or need any assistance.

--
    Maddy, Infinite Kind Support

2. 2 Posted by dwg on 16 Nov, 2019 11:38 AM

I'm a fellow user.

I think it would be useful if you described your setup. Specifically I think the following information could prove useful.

1. What version(s) of Moneydance are you using

2. Are you syncing your data between different devices, if so what devices and what version of Moneydance is on each device.

3. Is your data in the default location or have you moved it, if you have moved it where have you moved it to.

3. 3 Posted by dlbrett on 27 Nov, 2019 02:27 PM

Hi Maddy, sorry for the delay, I had an emergency at home.  Good idea,
    but I now have two transactions; one going to HELOC and one going to
    Checking.  If I delete the Checking entry, it comes back later.  How do
    I delete it permanently?

Don

4. 4 Posted by dlbrett on 27 Nov, 2019 02:40 PM

Sorry for the delay, I had an emergency at home.  Sure, here it is:

What version(s) of Moneydance are you using?  It's Moneydance Version
    2015.8 (1372)
    Are you syncing your data between different devices?  No, I just have a
    single instance of Moneydance on a Win10 box
    Is your data in the default location or have you moved it?  No, it's in
    the default location.

Don

5. Support Staff 5 Posted by Maddy on 27 Nov, 2019 06:10 PM

Hi Don,
    Hopefully things are sorted at home.

Thank you for the additional information.

Since Moneydance uses the double entry method of accounting, which means that every transaction is a link between accounts (or categories).
    The value of one account or category will increase and another will decrease when a transaction is made.
    Transactions can be between a financial account and an expense or income category, or between two financial accounts (such as a transfer from a checking to a savings account). So, if the delete transaction reappears, you could get the reconciled balance back to the correct value by simply entering an adjustment, either to the account's starting balance or by entering an adjustment transaction and marking it as cleared.

I hope this information is helpful. Please let me know if you have further questions or need any assistance.

--

6. 6 Posted by dlbrett on 28 Nov, 2019 02:15 PM

Yes the deleted transaction does reappear and the balance does change. Are you suggesting that I fudge it by putting in a fake entry?

7. Support Staff 7 Posted by Maddy on 28 Nov, 2019 02:23 PM

Hi,

You can either try that or the following:

• Check that the filter at the top of the register is set to "All".

The button that toggles between split and combined mode is at the top-right corner of the register. If it is in split mode, all unconfirmed transactions will be shown in a second register which appears below the regular register.

This can sometimes be collapsed ,so that all it shows is a bar with a label that says "N unconfirmed transactions".

Please keep us posted on your progress, thank you!

If you see that bar, drag it up vertically and you'll see the unconfirmed transactions in that list. Confirming those transaction should fix the issue.

--

8. 8 Posted by dlbrett on 09 Dec, 2019 02:39 PM

I solved my problem. I changed the category of the checking entry to HELOC, synced the two entries manually, then deleted the original HELOC entry. The deleted entry is staying deleted.

Don

9. Support Staff 9 Posted by Maddy on 09 Dec, 2019 06:37 PM

Hi Don,
    I'm very pleased to hear that!
    I'll close this discussion for now, but do not hesitate to contact us again, if you need further assistance.

--

10. Maddy closed this discussion on 09 Dec, 2019 06:37 PM.

Comments are currently closed for this discussion. You can start a new one.

Keyboard shortcuts

Generic

? Show this help
ESC Blurs the current field

Comment Form

r Focus the comment reply box
^ + ↩ Submit the comment

You can use Command ⌘ instead of Control ^ on Mac