Exporting MD data into an Excel (MS365) spreadsheet

dwk

05 Dec, 2019 02:56 AM

I see the following question has been asked before but those discussions seemed to be closed: I simply wish to export an MD report into Excel so that I can work with the data. I have tried Copy from MD and Paste into Excel but the file in Excel appears to be text, not numeric. Comma or Tab delimited do not work as well. I do not understand why IK does not offer a simple way to do what I would think many users need.

1. 1 Posted by dwk on 05 Dec, 2019 03:25 AM

From dwk: Again, I tried Copy and then Save, but the Saved file contains "$"symbols which Excel or Numbers cannot interpret.

2. Support Staff 2 Posted by Andrew on 05 Dec, 2019 12:52 PM

Hi DWK,

Please try the following path: Choose File - Export - Format - tab delimited

If you need any other assistance please let us know.

--
    Andrew, Infinite Kind Support

3. 3 Posted by dwk on 05 Dec, 2019 07:48 PM

Andrew -

Thank you for a prompt response. But your answer confuses me.

First, your solution appears to cover export of a broad set of all my data. That is, not the specific Report that I wish to export.

Second, when I 'Copy' my Report (at the bottom), then go to Excel and paste it ('command-V' on a Mac) I get all the data in appropriate columns but the format is incorrect ... numbers are in cells as text, not numeric.

Do I have to go back to Quicken or some other software ( which I do not wish to do ) to get a Report file in an appropriate format that I can use?

Thank you,

David (dwk)

4. Support Staff 4 Posted by Maddy on 06 Dec, 2019 10:48 AM

Hi ,

We are sorry to hear about the problem you have encountered.

Firstly, memorizing your report will save the settings that were used to generate it to the list of memorised graphs or reports, as outlined in this article of the Knowledge Base.

When using the "Save" option, your report will export to a folder of your choice, within your system.

Once you have saved your report into a folder (e.g: on your desktop), you should be able to open it within Excel or equivalent.

I hope this information is helpful. Please let me know if you have further questions or need any assistance.

--
    Maddy, Infinite Kind Support

5. 5 Posted by dwg on 06 Dec, 2019 11:02 AM

Support.

The problem with the Moneydance Save as CSV option from a spreadsheet perspective is that the data is saved with display/formatting information e.g. currency indicators, thousand separators etc. This can cause spreadsheets to read what is really numeric data as text. Such a situation requires extra work before importing it into a spreadsheet or within the spreadsheet itself. What is needed is for Moneydance to be able to save the reports as raw CSV data without the display options.

6. Support Staff 6 Posted by Andrew on 06 Dec, 2019 01:42 PM

Hi DWK,

Here are a couple of options:
    1) you can go into the currency list in Moneydance and set the prefix for USD as empty. That way, reports (and everything in MD) will not put the $ in front of any numeric values. Hopefully Excel would then see the numbers as currency values.
    2) you can select the relevant column of numbers in excel and set them as currency values.

Please let us know if it helps.

--
    Andrew, Infinite Kind Support

Reply to this discussion

Internal reply

Formatting help / Preview (switch to plain text) No formatting (switch to Markdown)

Attaching KB article:

»

Attached Files

You can attach files up to 10MB

If you don't have an account yet, we need to confirm you're human and not a machine trying to post spam.

Keyboard shortcuts

Generic

? Show this help
ESC Blurs the current field

Comment Form

r Focus the comment reply box
^ + ↩ Submit the comment

You can use Command ⌘ instead of Control ^ on Mac