Extensions - List of Extensions empty after removing Quote Loader extension (QLe)

carrbigdog

05 Dec, 2019 03:38 AM

Windows 7 Professional SP1 64bit system

A couple of weeks ago, I was using the Quote Loader extension and got an error while saving stocks/currencies I had loaded using the manual load Without thinking, I clicked through the error message without capturing any information.
Since then Quote Loader returns zeroes for stock prices even tho it shows recent transactions for most of the stocks with a date and price.
Today I returned to MD and was going to attempt to remedy the situation by removing the Quote Loader extension which I did with the intent to reinstall it.
Now when I select Manage Extensions the Available List is empty, the installed list shows the three remaining extensions after removing Quote Loader.
I have checked my firewall (Windows Firewall) and MD is allowed both In and Out unrestricted access to the Internet.
I have used Quote Loader since renewing my MD subscription in 2018 and really like it.
Prior to the QLe error, I had added Currencies to the update and they had worked once or twice.

I am looking for information on how to get back to normal operations of MD and if possible using QLe.

Thanks,
MD still a novice but a fan

1. 1 Posted by derekkent23 on 05 Dec, 2019 09:30 AM

I am not support staff, just a user.
    Hi carrbigdog

The fact that within the standard Manage Extension window the Available window contains no extensions and the Installed window only 3 is strange. There should be a lot more standard Moneydance extensions available. You could consider backing up your data and then reinstalling Moneydance, the same version you are currently using, as a first step to sorting things out.

To reinstall Quote Loader for Moneydance 2017 see https://infinitekind.tenderapp.com/discussions/investments/3771-third-party-quote-loader-system#comment_46981702

To reinstall Quote Loader for Moneydance 2019 see https://infinitekind.tenderapp.com/discussions/investments/4039-quote-loader-securitycurrency-price-loader-for-moneydance-2019/page/7#comment_47493595

To provide more help we need to know what version and build of Moneydance you are running, e.g. 2019.4(1894)?

Hope this helps.

2. 2 Posted by dwg on 05 Dec, 2019 10:06 AM

As a quick test I would close Moneydance, rename config.dict, start Moneydance again and try the Manage Extension menu item again and see what the result is.

If the result is the same you can easily restore config.dict, if it corrects the problem it points to something going wrong in the configuration file.

In detail:

If you're using Mac OS X, the file should be located at one of these locations within your Home folder:

~/Library/Containers/com.infinitekind.MoneydanceOSX/Data/Library/Application Support/Moneydance/config.dict

or:

~/Library/Application Support/Moneydance/config.dict

If you have any trouble finding your Home Library folder, open Finder and select Go --> Go to Folder --> and copy and paste in exactly the following:

~/Library

This will pull up your local Library folder, and you can navigate to the locations above.

If you're using Windows, the file should be located at:

C:\Users\(yourusername)\.moneydance\config.dict

Once you've found your config.dict file, close Moneydance ensure it's closed fully. Then rename the file to config.old

Once you've done this, open Moneydance again. It will appear as though you've just installed the program for the first time, so you'll see the Welcome window.
    Your data file should be listed on the right of the window. If not, choose 'Open Other' and navigate to your data file.

Now try the operation you were having trouble with and see if it works as expected.

If it does you can continue using the new configuration file by while viewing your data file, choose Help --> Register Moneydance and input your license key.

If you run into any problems, you can simply close Moneydance and rename the original file back to config.dict. Then open Moneydance again to restore your original settings.

3. 3 Posted by carrbigdog on 06 Dec, 2019 11:17 PM

Thanks for the responses.
    In answer to dereckkent23's question regarding version it is 2019.3 (1880)

I opted to rename the config.dict file and when it created a new file the manage extensions function worked correctly, e.g. displaying the complete list of extensions available.
    However, when I went to register this I could not find the email with the license key and I panicked, so I renamed the current config.dict to config.new and renamed the config.old to config.dict and restarted MD.
    I found my license key data and then tried manage extensions and it is working properly, showing the complete list of extensions.

I have a couple of questions and if they don't belong in this thread, I can search out answers individually.

Question 1:   Should I continue with this config.dict file or work through the one I renamed config.new and register?

Question 2:  dereckkent23 indicated the current version of MD is 2019.4 (1894) but when I select check for update, it says I am current.  Is this a problem?
    Question 3:  I found that I could request the license key information from the InfiniteKind website and the email with the license key information stated "Thank you for purchasing Moneydance 2017 Upgrade".  Does that refer to MD 2019?  The reference to 2017 (my previous version) is a bit confusing to this old person.

On Thursday, December 5, 2019, 5:07:02 AM EST, dwg <[email blocked]> wrote:

|

4. 4 Posted by derekkent23 on 07 Dec, 2019 11:27 AM

I am not support staff just a user.
    Hi carrbigbog

Dwg advice to rename the config.dict file was sound advice.

If you have found that reverting back to the old config.dict now work I would stay with that unless something else happen. Perhaps something in the new config.dict file reset something in your data set.

2019.4(1894) now 1896 is a preview version that fixes bugs and add features and will eventually be replaced as a new released version to replace 2019.3(1880). Some people don’t like using preview versions other want to benefit from bug fixes and feature adds. Preview can be found at https://infinitekind.com/preview
    with this warning “ Please keep in mind that this is beta software, and therefore may contain bugs and cause problems” If you get issues you can always reinstall the released build.

As for you last question not sure, but if you upgraded since the release of 2019 then it would refer to upgrading from 2017 to 2019.

Back to your original issue. If you have not already done so and need to, you can re-install Quote Loader using the PDF attached to this post. https://infinitekind.tenderapp.com/discussions/investments/4039-quote-loader-securitycurrency-price-loader-for-moneydance-2019/page/7#comment_47493595

Hope this helps

5. 5 Posted by carrbigdog on 07 Dec, 2019 07:09 PM

Thanks for all the assistance.
    MD is back and Quote loader is loading security prices.
    All is good (until I mess something else up). 

-----

On Saturday, December 7, 2019, 6:27:55 AM EST, derekkent23 <[email blocked]> wrote:

|

6. 6 Posted by derekkent23 on 07 Dec, 2019 07:48 PM

I am not support staff just a user.
    Hi carrbigbog

Glad I was able to help.

Have Fun.

7. System closed this discussion on 07 Mar, 2020 07:50 PM.

Comments are currently closed for this discussion. You can start a new one.

Keyboard shortcuts

Generic

? Show this help
ESC Blurs the current field

Comment Form

r Focus the comment reply box
^ + ↩ Submit the comment

You can use Command ⌘ instead of Control ^ on Mac