Problem with currency exchange rates in Moneydance 2019.3

Sarah McQuaid

05 Dec, 2019 08:38 AM

I recently upgraded from a very old version of Moneydance to Moneydance 2019.3, but on the new version I don't seem to be able to save currency exchange rates; when I make a change to the rate in the currency panel, as soon as I close the panel it defaults back to a random exchange rate that's quite different from the one I chose. How can I fix this so that the exchange rate I choose is saved for future transactions?

1. Support Staff 1 Posted by Maddy on 05 Dec, 2019 10:41 AM

Hi Sarah,

We are sorry to hear about the problem you have encountered.

Can you check you're running the latest version of the Quotes and Exchange Rates extension? To do this, choose Extensions --> Manage Extensions. The latest version of the extension is v.1024. You should see an 'Update' button if you're using an older version, or remove the extension and re-install.

Moneydance previously obtained rates using Yahoo, but unfortunately they stopped supporting downloads to third party applications in the last year or so. Since then we've been trying to locate other services we can include, but few are free and reliable. We currently use Alphavantage and IEX Trading.

Alphavantage worked well for some time, but recently changed their services and introduced a premium membership. This has limited the number of downloads per minute for free accounts, so you may find the updates are slower.
    We've included IEX trading as another source for updating rates. This website includes a list of eligible symbols IEX trading uses - https://iextrading.com/trading/eligible-symbols/

Recently, a knowledgeable Moneydance customer and developer (Mike Bray) has created a third party extension called 'Quotes Loader'. This extension doesn't adhere to the same limitations as the program and is able to connect with Yahoo. You can find more information about the extension in this thread(the latest free third-party Quote Loader is post 205) from the public discussion board.
    Download the PDF attached to post 205 and have a read.

To get an overview take a look at the YouTube video by using the link on page one of the PDF.

I hope this information is helpful. Please let me know if you have further questions or need any assistance.

--
    Maddy, Infinite Kind Support

2. 2 Posted by Sarah McQuaid on 05 Dec, 2019 11:42 AM

Hi Maddy, I don’t think the extension is what I want. What I want - as I was always able to do before - is to be able to enter an exchange rate for a given currency and have that exchange rate be the default exchange rate for that currency until such time as I choose to change it. This is because when I’m doing my taxes, I work out an average exchange rate for the year for my income and expenses in that currency, and use it for all transactions in that tax year. It was never a problem before I updated - I just entered the rate I wanted in the Currencies menu (under Tools) and that rate became the default until such time as I changed it. Is there a way to make that happen?

Many thanks and all the best,

Sarah McQuaid
    sarahmcquaid.com

Facebook • Twitter • Instagram • YouTube • Bandcamp

3. Support Staff 3 Posted by Maddy on 05 Dec, 2019 12:36 PM

Hi Sarah,

What's your base currency? Can you see the change you made when clicking on a different currency on the same window?

If it's easier, you can send me a screenshot of what you're seeing. You can read instructions for taking a screenshot here - https://www.take-a-screenshot.org/

Thank you

--
    Maddy, Infinite Kind Support

4. 4 Posted by Sarah McQuaid on 05 Dec, 2019 01:42 PM

Hi Maddy, my base currency is British Pound (I live in the UK). So — when I go to Tools and pull down to “Currencies”, I get a window with “Edit Currencies/Exchange Rates” at the top. I then select “US Dollar” from that dropdown menu and a “Currency/Security History” window comes up, with a a rather random figure of “0.880952” in the “Rate” box. I change that to 0.74 which is the rate I want to use for all my US Dollar transactions in this tax year, and then click the red dot to exit the window (there doesn’t seem to be any kind of “Save” button — the only buttons are “New”, “Remove”, “Clear All” and “Import…”. When I create a new transaction in either my “Cash - USD” account or my US bank account, the exchange rate comes up as “0.88091797”, and when I go back to look at the Edit Currencies/Exchange Rates selection for US Dollar again, it’s defaulted back to 0.880952 as the rate. Again, I’ve no idea where that rate has come from — it isn’t anywhere in the history for that currency. I can work around the problem by manually entering 0.74 as the rate in any new transactions I create, but that’s a bit of a pain to have to do that every time I create a new transaction, and I didn’t have to do it in the old version of Moneydance. Is it just a bug in the app? Any likelihood of an update to resolve it?

All the best,

Sarah

5. Support Staff 5 Posted by Sean Reilly on 05 Dec, 2019 02:06 PM

Hi Sarah,

I'm very sorry about this problem with Moneydance. I think it must be a low-level issue with the incremental storage in Moneydance. Would it be possible to join me in a screen sharing session so that I can manually reset the base currency in the file? If I can confirm the root cause of this problem then I should be able to fix it in Moneydance itself for the next update.

If that would be ok, please let me know what would be a good date and time for you, as well as your time zone.

Thanks,
    Sean

--
    Sean Reilly
    Developer, The Infinite Kind
    https://infinitekind.com

6. 6 Posted by Sarah McQuaid on 05 Dec, 2019 02:13 PM

Hi Sean, I’m always a wee bit nervous about screen sharing, but if that’s the only way to fix the problem I guess we can do that. Now is fine if that suits — I’m in the UK time zone so it’s 2:10pm here, and I’m not going anywhere until just after 3pm. Or we can leave it until tomorrow if you prefer. Tomorrow I’ll be out between 9:45 and 11:45am, so could do either between 8:30am and 9:45am, or between 11:45am and 3pm. Please let me know what would work best … I take it that there’s no way I can do the reset myself and that my data won’t be affected when you do the reset?

Sarah

7. Support Staff 7 Posted by Sean Reilly on 05 Dec, 2019 03:38 PM

Hi Sarah,

Thanks for agreeing to the screen share. I understand your hesitation and will make it as easy as possible, and I can assure you that you'll be able to disconnect at any time and none of your data will leave your computer unless you explicitly agree (but I can't see that being necessary).

I'm also in the UK and can do noon tomorrow/Friday if that's still ok with you? Do you use a mac or windows? If a mac, the easiest way to do the screen sharing is with the built-in Messages app. Otherwise, I'll send you a link to a standalone screen sharing app that we can use.

Thanks,
    Sean

--
    Sean Reilly
    Developer/Director
    infinitekind.com (http://infinitekind.com)

8. 8 Posted by Sarah McQuaid on 05 Dec, 2019 04:02 PM

Hi Sean — it’s a mac. Only thing is that I’ve just discovered that the wifi signal is terrible in the spot where I’ve set up my new desktop imac (which replaced an ancient laptop that was running the old Moneydance, hence update to new Moneydance and issues with currency exchange rates). I’ve ordered a wifi booster and ethernet cable which should sort the speed issue, but they won’t arrive until next Tues or Weds. Happy to try the screen share tomorrow at noon if you think it’ll work over slow wifi (0.84mbps download, 2.78mbps upload, as opposed to 49.1mbps download/16.9mbps upload when I stand next to our main router) — but if the slow speed is likely to create issues, it might be better to wait until the wifi booster arrives next week. Let me know what you think ....

Sarah

9. Support Staff 9 Posted by Sean Reilly on 06 Dec, 2019 12:09 PM

Hi Sarah,

That might be a bit slow, but I think it's better than nothing. If you have the Messages app on and setup on your computer could you use it to send a message to me at [email blocked]?

Otherwise, we can use the TeamViewer QS app which you can download by clicking this link:
    https://get.teamviewer.com/tikhelp

Once you have downloaded and run the TeamViewer QS app it should automatically register on my system and I can send you a request to begin the connection.

Thanks!
    Sean

--
    Sean Reilly

10. 10 Posted by Sarah McQuaid on 06 Dec, 2019 12:17 PM

Hi Sean, I’m so sorry about this but I have to run out unexpectedly — could we possibly leave it until next week? I can do around this time Mon, Tues or Weds if any of those work for you? So sorry again! Also, your email address is blocked in your email below — can you write it in the form name (at) url.com and hopefully it’ll get through?

Sarah

11. Support Staff 11 Posted by Sean Reilly on 06 Dec, 2019 12:23 PM

Hi Sarah,
    Sure, no problem! When you're ready just contact me at sreilly at infinitekind.com using the Messages app and we'll get connected. Next week will be fine, but I can also do some evenings if that's preferable.

Thanks,
    Sean

--
    Sean Reilly

12. System closed this discussion on 06 Mar, 2020 12:30 PM.

Comments are currently closed for this discussion. You can start a new one.

Keyboard shortcuts

Generic

? Show this help
ESC Blurs the current field

Comment Form

r Focus the comment reply box
^ + ↩ Submit the comment

You can use Command ⌘ instead of Control ^ on Mac