security price updates

Richard

08 Dec, 2019 12:22 AM

my shares are with Australia stock extension yet the prices displayed are not up to date

1. 1 Posted by derekkent23 on 08 Dec, 2019 09:31 AM

I am not support staff, just a user.
    Hi Richard

There are two methods within Moneydance for obtaining security prices automatically.

The extension “Quote and Exchange Rate Updater found under EXTENSIONS – MANAGE EXTENSIONS. Check you are running the latest build v1024. For exchange rates use the source European Central Bank. Alpha Vantage covers the US as well as some securities outside the US, but is very, very slow. It’s my understanding that the source IEX Trading no longer works.

If the Quote and exchange rate updater does not work well for you try the free third-party Quote Loader. Both of the sources in the Quote Loader have good coverage of worldwide securities.

See post 205 at https://infinitekind.tenderapp.com/discussions/investments/4039-quote-loader-securitycurrency-price-loader-for-moneydance-2019/page/7#comment_47493595

Download the PDF attached to posts 205 and have a read.

To get an overview take a look at the YouTube video by using the link on page 1 of the PDF.

Quote Loader will probably provide better coverage in your location, Australia.

If it would help just post a sample selection of your security ticker symbols with there names and I will test.

Let us know how you get on or if you need help just post.

Hope this helps.

2. 2 Posted by Richard Faure-F... on 09 Dec, 2019 10:51 AM

thanks for the interesting idea which i have downloaded however i dont
    understand:
    SELECT, am i supposed to tick this, if i do it says this line doesn't
    have a price which refers to lack of NEW PRICE also NEW PRICE doesnt
    show for evry holding and if it does it seems a strange amount compared
    to the A$ price in LAST PRICE
    What is TRADE DATE
    What is TRADE CURR as the Australian exchange are all in A$

Will these prices automatically appear in my Investments page where i
    list all my holdings etc
    regards
    Richard

3. 3 Posted by Mike Bray on 09 Dec, 2019 11:48 AM

Richard
    The lines in green can be selected as you have a price. The lines in red have not found a price, you need to check the Ticker against Yahoo.

Only funds/equities listed on Yahoo.com or ft.com can be retrieved. Neither Yahoo or FT provide prices for Bonds so I'm afraid Quote Loader can not retrieve prices.

Try changing ANZPD to ANZPD:ASX and changing the source to FT.com
    Mike

4. 4 Posted by Mike Bray on 09 Dec, 2019 12:01 PM

Alternatively select ASX from the Exchange list and change the source to FT. FT has better coverage around the world

5. 5 Posted by derekkent23 on 09 Dec, 2019 04:31 PM

I am not support staff just a user.
    Hi Richard

To add to Mikes comments.

See screen shot, all of your securities returning quotes except

Amp China (AMP )is no longer traded ? see https://www.asx.com.au/asx/statistics/announcements.do?by=issuerId&issuerId=6239&timeframe=D&period=W

PRAECO AU3CB fixed bond jul 2022 is a fixed rate bond and thus not quoted on Yahoo or FT. If you have found a price for this from another source you can edit to add this price and traded date as outlined in the PDF before saving selected values.

For ASX you need to change the ticker symbol from ASX.AX to ASX

Beadell Resources (BDR) no longer traded? see
    https://www.asx.com.au/asx/statistics/announcements.do?by=asxCode&asxCode=BDR&timeframe=D&period=M6

Set up Quote Loader as the seen shot and it should work for you.

All the questions you have asked are covered in the PDF.

After clicking “ Get Prices” to select all the returned New Prices click “Click to Select all lines” then click “Save Selected Value” the Prices are entered into the relevant security price history windows within Moneydance.

As outlined in the PDF some ticker symbols are stock exchange specific. In these cases, if no exchange is selected it is normal to default to a main stock market e.g. ALG is the ticker for Alamo Group, Inc. a US traded company, thus it returns a US dollar price. Ardent Leisure Group Ltd has the same ticker symbol ALG but is traded on the Australian stock exchange, thus it requires the exchange to be selected to enable the correct price to be returned.

TRADED DATE defines the date to which the New Price relates.

TRADED CURRENCY defines the currency in which the security is quoted. Some user have securities that are quoted in a foreign currency, that is not the base currency.

Hope this helps.

Reply to this discussion

Internal reply

Formatting help / Preview (switch to plain text) No formatting (switch to Markdown)

Attaching KB article:

»

Attached Files

You can attach files up to 10MB

If you don't have an account yet, we need to confirm you're human and not a machine trying to post spam.

Keyboard shortcuts

Generic

? Show this help
ESC Blurs the current field

Comment Form

r Focus the comment reply box
^ + ↩ Submit the comment

You can use Command ⌘ instead of Control ^ on Mac