Can't install on Surface Pro x

Larry

15 Jan, 2020 01:52 AM

I downloaded the most current version and it won't install (says not compatible "This App won't run on your PC".

I've tried older 32 bit versions, they install but don't work.
Is there a version that I should use? Or something I need to change on the surface pro x?
System Type ARM64-based PC
OS Name Microsoft Windows 10 Home
Version 10.0.18362 Build 18362
Processor Microsoft SQ1 @ 3.0 GHz, 2995 Mhz, 8 Core(s), 8 Logical Processor(s)

1. 1 Posted by tgilbert666 on 15 Jan, 2020 04:48 AM

Hi Larry,
    A fellow user. I'm not a Surface expert but can you clarify exactly which "most current version" of Moneydance you're trying to install?

Microsoft itself says here https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/surface/surface-pro-arm-app-perfor...

64-bit (x64) apps won’t work. You'll need 64-bit (ARM64) apps.

Did you manage to find a 64-bit(ARM64) version of Moneydance or Java 13 somewhere? I'm not aware of either (which isn't proof of anything!) but - according to MS - they'd be required

Cheers,
    Tony

2. 2 Posted by dwg on 15 Jan, 2020 05:01 AM

I'm a fellow user.

The key is the processor.

Moneydance 2019 is a 64 bit application only and to run on your system would require an ARM64 build of the software. As far as I am aware there is currently no ARM64 version of the Java platform that Moneydance uses.

According to Microsoft it is supposed to be able to run x86 application using an emulator (WOW). Whether this means it could run the Java x86 Virtual Machine I do not know.

As I basic test I suppose you could see if Java itself starts. Moneydance installs (assuming a standard install) java into the directory:

C:\Program Files\Moneydance\jre\bin>.

Going to that directory and typing: java --version should run and print information about the Java virtual machine

3. 3 Posted by Larry on 15 Jan, 2020 09:25 PM

Tony, I downloaded the 2019 64 bit and that for sure will not run, it's not ported to ARM64. 32bit should run, it starts up but nothing works (I went back to the latest 32bit version).

IMHO, what needs to happen is MoneyDance needs ported to ARM64.

Reply to this discussion

Internal reply

Formatting help / Preview (switch to plain text) No formatting (switch to Markdown)

Attaching KB article:

»

Attached Files

You can attach files up to 10MB

If you don't have an account yet, we need to confirm you're human and not a machine trying to post spam.

Keyboard shortcuts

Generic

? Show this help
ESC Blurs the current field

Comment Form

r Focus the comment reply box
^ + ↩ Submit the comment

You can use Command ⌘ instead of Control ^ on Mac