Recovering data

Roben-Marie Smith

11 Mar, 2020 01:42 AM

Hello!

My hard drive crashed and I lost my data. I have a backup on an external drive, but not sure if I can access my money dance data and bring it back into my new computer. Also, so this doesn't happen in the future, can I synch with my laptop and iPhone?

1. 1 Posted by dwg on 11 Mar, 2020 05:21 AM

I'm a fellow user.

Assuming you are using Moneydance 2019 the last part of the following article describes how to restore from a backup:

https://infinitekind.tenderapp.com/kb/backups-and-exporting/backups

Syncing data should never be viewed as a backup or as an alternative to backups. There are situations that they would not be able to be used for restoration and you could lose all of your data. They can be used a last ditch source in a Disaster Recovery scenario but there is no guarantee that you can recover using this source. So you should continue to create backups on your external disk even if you use syncing.

2. Support Staff 2 Posted by Ethan on 11 Mar, 2020 10:03 PM

Just to add: if the above information doesn't help, please let us know the full file name (plus the file extension) of the data file or backup file you are trying to open. Your main data file should end with the .moneydance file extension.

Ethan
    Infinite Kind Support

3. 3 Posted by Roben-Marie Smi... on 12 Mar, 2020 11:07 PM

Hello!

Thanks so much! Unfortunately I was using the 2017 version and I don’t recall every setting it to do a backup. I was hoping when I resorted from my external backup of my computer to my new hard drive that it would restore, but now I am not so sure.

Cheers,
    Roben-Marie

4. Support Staff 4 Posted by Ethan on 12 Mar, 2020 11:40 PM

Hello Roben-Marie,

If you're not sure where you were saving your data file in the 2017 version, it is likely in the default save location, described at: https://infinitekind.tenderapp.com/kb/file-locations-and-changes/de...

If that doesn't help, I recommend searching your entire backup drive for all files that end with the .moneydance extension. If you find your main data file, you can move it to where you want to store it on your computer, and use the open other option from the Moneydance welcome screen or the menu bar (File -> Open -> Open Other) to select your yourfilename.moneydance data set.

Ethan
    Infinite Kind Support

5. 5 Posted by Roben-Marie Smi... on 13 Mar, 2020 04:16 AM

Hey, Ethan!

I think I found the file on my external backup, but when I follow your directions to open other, it doesn’t locate it on my backup drive.

The file is:

Smith Finances.2019-10-15.moneydancearchive

Maybe the problem is that it ends with archive?

I even tried dragging it from my backup drive to my computer and it would not move. Any thoughts before I start from scratch?

Thanks!
    Roben-Marie

6. 6 Posted by dwg on 13 Mar, 2020 04:27 AM

I'm a fellow user.

A file extension of .moneydancearchive indicates a backup/archive file

The last part of the following article shows how to restore from these types of files.

https://infinitekind.tenderapp.com/kb/backups-and-exporting/backups

Reply to this discussion

Internal reply

Formatting help / Preview (switch to plain text) No formatting (switch to Markdown)

Attaching KB article:

»

Attached Files

You can attach files up to 10MB

If you don't have an account yet, we need to confirm you're human and not a machine trying to post spam.

Keyboard shortcuts

Generic

? Show this help
ESC Blurs the current field

Comment Form

r Focus the comment reply box
^ + ↩ Submit the comment

You can use Command ⌘ instead of Control ^ on Mac