Software not opening fully

Kristna Evans

12 Mar, 2020 12:52 AM

When I open Moneydance (I've tried it from two different locations), the icon shows up on my toolbar, but no windows open. When I hover over the icon, an empty square with "Moneydance" and the X to close the application show up at the top of a blank box. I have tried restarting my computer, which did not fix the problem. I am not having any problems with any other software applications.

1. Support Staff 1 Posted by Ethan on 12 Mar, 2020 02:10 AM

Have you perhaps had a second monitor installed at some point? Sometimes Moneydance can try to open up windows on that other display, even if it isn't connected at the moment.

Can you try resetting your Moneydance preferences and see if that fixes the issue that you're seeing? To do this, you have to rename your config.dict file. If you're using Mac OS X, it should be located at one of these locations within your Home folder:

Library/Containers/com.infinitekind.MoneydanceOSX/Data/Library/Application Support/Moneydance/config.dict

or:

Library/Application Support/Moneydance/config.dict

If you have any trouble finding your Home Library folder, open Finder and select Go>Go to Folder> and type in:

~/Library

This should pull up your local Library folder.

If you're using Windows, it should be located at:

C:/Users/(yourusername)/.moneydance/config.dict

If you're using Linux, it should be located at:

/home/(yourusername)/.moneydance/config.dict

Once you've found your config.dict file, close Moneydance and rename it (to something like config2.dict, for example), then open Moneydance again and it will appear as though you've just installed Moneydance for the first time, so you'll have to re-enter your license key and may have to locate and open your data set again. If you run into any problems, you can simply close Moneydance and rename the original config.dict file back to config.dict and open Moneydance again to restore your original settings.

Ethan
    Infinite Kind Support

Reply to this discussion

Internal reply

Formatting help / Preview (switch to plain text) No formatting (switch to Markdown)

Attaching KB article:

»

Attached Files

You can attach files up to 10MB

If you don't have an account yet, we need to confirm you're human and not a machine trying to post spam.

Keyboard shortcuts

Generic

? Show this help
ESC Blurs the current field

Comment Form

r Focus the comment reply box
^ + ↩ Submit the comment

You can use Command ⌘ instead of Control ^ on Mac