Moneydance crashes when I try to open it

ccjay52

14 Mar, 2020 04:55 PM

I've recently upgraded to Catalina, and Moneydance crashes when I open it. I had a pretty recent version, but I downloaded the lats one anyway and I am still getting the same result. Screen shot attached

1. Support Staff 1 Posted by Ethan on 14 Mar, 2020 04:58 PM

Hello,

Just to clarify, this is with the version downloaded from http://infinitekind.com/downloads?

Can you send me your errlog.txt file? This should contain error messages about what is happening, even if the program crashes. If you're using Mac OS X, it should be located at one of these locations within your Home folder:

Library/Containers/com.infinitekind.MoneydanceOSX/Data/Library/Application Support/Moneydance/errlog.txt

or:

Library/Application Support/Moneydance/errlog.txt

If you have any trouble finding your Home Library folder, open Finder and select Go -> Go to Folder and type in:

~/Library

This should pull up your local Library folder.

Ethan
    Infinite Kind Support

2. 2 Posted by ccjay52 on 14 Mar, 2020 05:03 PM

Here it is attached

3. 3 Posted by ccjay52 on 14 Mar, 2020 05:45 PM

Just confirming you got the log

4. 4 Posted by ccjay52 on 14 Mar, 2020 08:11 PM

More experimentation reveals that if I start the computer with the shift key down, Moneydance will run. Is that of any help in figuring out the problem?

5. 5 Posted by jeff_l on 15 Mar, 2020 10:42 AM

Hi ccjay52,

As you know, starting your MAC holding down Shift forces the OS to start in “Safe Boot” mode.

As MD works normally in Safe Mode, this indicates that some other App or Util is causing MD to crash. Only you will be able to discover which one is the offender!

Your errorlog.txt shows MD stopping as it tries to load your Data Set. This indicates to me a problem with disk access.

But first I would suggest you try the latest beta of MD 2019.4 (1904)
    download here:- https://infinitekind.com/preview

If that does not fix your issue, I would suggest going into Catalina System Preferences -->Security & Privacy -->Full Disk Access. Unlock Padlock & add Moneydance.

See attached screen shot.

Hope this helps, if not you will have to wait for the official cure from support staff.

Jeff - Fellow Mac User

6. 6 Posted by sth on 15 Mar, 2020 04:44 PM

From your errlog.txt file I see that you have a very old extension wandering around. i would suggest removing and reloading all your extensions. If necessary you may have to manually remove the files in the fmodules directory if the extension manager can't find them.

This line jumps out at me as an issue:
    "name and version =CSV Importer Alpha 18 for MD2015=" (not IK Support)

Reply to this discussion

Internal reply

Formatting help / Preview (switch to plain text) No formatting (switch to Markdown)

Attaching KB article:

»

Already uploaded files

• moneyDanceCrash.jpg 272 KB

Attached Files

You can attach files up to 10MB

If you don't have an account yet, we need to confirm you're human and not a machine trying to post spam.

Keyboard shortcuts

Generic

? Show this help
ESC Blurs the current field

Comment Form

r Focus the comment reply box
^ + ↩ Submit the comment

You can use Command ⌘ instead of Control ^ on Mac