Autofill overrides what I want in a field

dyno7351

07 Apr, 2020 10:53 PM

I type in a transaction with a specific label (Social Security for example). The funds are in the deposit column. Next, I enter a new transaction in which I want to remove the same amount. I enter "Social Security - Removed" and put the same amount in the payment column. For some reason MD changes the deposit description to "Social Security - Removed". If I delete the removed amount entry, the deposit entry is also deleted. This has happen in other instances also.
Why is this happening and how do I prevent it?

1. Support Staff 1 Posted by Ethan on 07 Apr, 2020 11:28 PM

Hello,

I'm not quite sure I follow what you are describing entirely. What field are you putting this "label" in for "Social Security"? I assume the category field? If so, is the "Social Security - Removed" also a category you are using? And you are writing the same thing in the description fields?

For clarity, could you try to write out the main fields for these two types of transactions? For example:

Transaction 1:
    Description: Social Security
    Category: Social Security
    Deposit: $xxx

Transaction 2: ...

Alternatively, you could attach a screenshot of these transactions. If you're not sure how to take a screenshot, please see http://www.take-a-screenshot.org/

Ethan
    Infinite Kind Support

2. 2 Posted by dyno7351 on 08 Apr, 2020 09:27 PM

Let me clarify: This is what I want to occur.
    I have a bank account called salary. I just want to keep track of Taxes paid on the income deposited. To this end, I insert a new deposit transaction with the Description: Social Security and Category: Social Security. There are two splits Gross and Taxes. Because I don't want to track spending from this bank account, I want to immediately remove the net funds via a followup transaction that has the same description and category (no splits though) and a payment equal to the net deposit from above. This should leave the account with a balance of zero.

The problem occurs when I go back to a previous date and edit a transaction that was missing its description entry (in this example the deposit transaction). The "matching" payment transaction description was also blank until I filled in the missing description from the deposit. Now, both transactions have the same descriptions even though I did not make any change to the payment transaction (one is a deposit and the other is a payment). If I delete the payment transaction, the deposit transaction sharing the same category in the split portion is deleted. If I alter the amount in either transaction the "companion" transaction is affected. I have done the above several times. Somehow this two entries are linked together.

But, when create these two transactions manually one at a time on the last entry in the account (today's date) they worked fine. There is no linkage effect. If I recall correctly the "linked" transaction originated as reminder transactions.

3. System closed this discussion on 08 Jul, 2020 09:30 PM.

Comments are currently closed for this discussion. You can start a new one.

Keyboard shortcuts

Generic

? Show this help
ESC Blurs the current field

Comment Form

r Focus the comment reply box
^ + ↩ Submit the comment

You can use Command ⌘ instead of Control ^ on Mac