Can No Longer Backup File

robgarr104

04 May, 2020 10:54 PM

I was no longer able to access my Moneydance file. I suspected a corrupted file, so I formatted my computer.
I then downloaded the latest version of MD and was unable to access my original file called "My Finances"
I created a new file call "My Denero" which of course had no data.
I then accessed my original file from the new file, which worked fine.
But then when I tried to back up export my backup to a memory stick I get the message:
"The filename, directory name or volume label syntax is incorrect"
What can I do?

This discussion was closed! See this FAQ for more information:

1. Backups

In this window you can choose the maximum number of backup files to be stored, and select the backup location.

By default, the files will be stored in the default location - accessible from Moneydance by selecting Help --> Show Archive Folder.

preferences_backup_2017.png

See more..
  1. robgarr104 closed this discussion on 04 May, 2020 10:59 PM.

2. Maddy re-opened this discussion on 04 May, 2020 11:19 PM

3. Support Staff 1 Posted by Maddy on 04 May, 2020 11:19 PM

Hi,
    Thank you for contacting Moneydance support.

Moneydance creates automatic backup files. A backup file will be created each time you close your file until the set number exist, then each file will be updated in turn.

If these files are stored in the default location, they're accessible from Moneydance via Help --> Show Backup Folder.

To amend the backup file settings, choose Moneydance --> Preferences, then select the 'Backups' tab, as outlined in this article of the Knowledge Base.

From this window, you can amend the backup location, and choose the maximum number of backups to be stored.

You could amend the backup location, so the automatic backup files are sent elsewhere. For example, you could choose an external drive, or a shared folder location like Dropbox. This will ensure your data is accessible from another system, even if you were to encounter complete computer failure.

You can also create manual backup files whenever you want, and store these files anywhere. To create a manual backup file, choose File --> Export Backup. This will create a .moneydancearchive backup file - the same format as the auto backup files.

I hope this information is helpful. Please let me know if you have further questions or need any assistance.

--
    Maddy, Infinite Kind Support

4. 2 Posted by robgarr104 on 05 May, 2020 05:29 PM

When I close MD, the file is backed up in the default location on my computer...
    The problem I am having is exporting backup to a memory stick...I keep getting the error message discussed above

5. Support Staff 3 Posted by Ethan on 05 May, 2020 06:08 PM

Hello,

Can you clarify exactly how you are trying to create this backup? Are you going to File -> Export Backup from the menu bar, or are you using some other method?

It sounds like there is an invalid character in either the file name or a folder along the file path. Can you make sure that there are no special characters in the file name or any of the containing folders?

If that doesn't help, do you have a different result when you try to export the file to a location you know you can regularly save to, like your desktop?

Ethan
    Infinite Kind Support

6. 4 Posted by robgarr104 on 05 May, 2020 06:22 PM

I have used the Export Backup to a memory stick for a long time, as I was
    having problems syncing with Dropbox...
    However, recently I could not access my MD file...the data wouldn't load.
    As I have discussed above, since I cleaned out my computer, I have been
    unable to to use the Export Backup function, getting the error message I
    indicated. I have tried different memory sticks to no avail...

7. Support Staff 5 Posted by Ethan on 05 May, 2020 07:00 PM

Did you try saving it to a different location as I suggested, like your Desktop? Can you also answer the question about special characters in the file name or file path?

Does the error appear immediately after you go to File -> Export Backup, or does it appear after you try to save the file in that location?

Ethan
    Infinite Kind Support

8. 6 Posted by robgarr104 on 05 May, 2020 07:09 PM

I get the error message when I select save...tried saving to the Desktop
    with the same results as the memory stick...

9. Support Staff 7 Posted by Ethan on 05 May, 2020 07:28 PM

Ok. And the question of special characters? I'm sorry I have to keep asking, that's just what the error message is suggesting.

Can you please recreate this error, and then before you do anything else in the program, please find your errlog.txt file and send it to us. Hopefully this will have captured more detailed error messages.

If you're using Windows, it should be located at:

C:/Users/(yourusername)/.moneydance/errlog.txt

Ethan
    Infinite Kind Support

10. 8 Posted by robgarr104 on 05 May, 2020 07:44 PM

Hi Ethan,
    attached is the error log...which is Greek to me...

11. 9 Posted by jeff_l on 06 May, 2020 09:35 AM

Hi,

Translating from the Greek!

Take a look at your own errlog.txt about half way down you will see a line starting:-

loading dataset: C:\Users\robga.moneydance\Documents\My Finances-20180409, & the numbers go on & on & on with date references starting in 2018 thru 2020.

That would appear to be your problem. You need to rename your data set to something simple like My Finances.moneydance (the default is Personal Finances.moneydance)

Hope this fixes it for you.

Jeff – just a fellow user

12. Support Staff 10 Posted by Ethan on 06 May, 2020 03:12 PM

Hello,

I agree with the above comment. For some reason, the file name of your data file is massive:

C:\Users\robga.moneydance\Documents\My Finances-20180409-1141-20181102-1414-20190129-1007-20190130-0933-20190220-1539-20190404-1018 2-20190406-1135 2-20190429-0746 3-20190429-1652-20191030-1513-20200127-1207-20200227-0757-20200323-1013-20200401-1457-20200502-0932.moneydance

It could be that you're running up against the limit for the length of file names. Try renaming it to something much shorter, like eliminating all those numbers (so it's just My Finances.moneydance). See https://infinitekind.tenderapp.com/kb/file-locations-and-changes/re... if you're not sure how to do this.

Ethan
    Infinite Kind Support

13. 11 Posted by robgarr104 on 06 May, 2020 03:56 PM

Nathan,
    Just to go back a page, when I first started having difficulty and couldn't
    access my file "My Finances" I created a new file called "My Denero" I was
    then able to access "My Finances" from an external backup location. I am
    totally confused because when I reopen MD, my original "My Finances 2018"
    opens but when I check the backup folder it only shows "My Denero"
    It looks like "My Finances" is within the "My Denero" file. It now loads
    very quickly, as apposed to 2 or 3 minutes before. I am afraid to fiddle
    with renaming the file for fear of losing all my data, since I have been
    unable to backup to a different source if something goes wrong...
    Regards
    Robert

14. 12 Posted by robgarr104 on 06 May, 2020 03:59 PM

Thanks Jeff,
    If you are following the thread, I have just sent Nathan an update of my
    situation...
    Standing by for further comments...

15. 13 Posted by robgarr104 on 06 May, 2020 06:23 PM

I have tried renaming the file on my laptop, but it does not appear on the list of optional files...am I missing something?

16. 14 Posted by robgarr104 on 06 May, 2020 08:13 PM

Still waiting for a work around this issue. Nothing has worked so far...

New Post...situation solved...my method of backing up was to export backup which creates a new file name each time...that is why my file got so large. I am now backing up directly into my memory stick and the file name doesn't change and limits the backups to 5.
    Works much better and faster this way...
    Sorry to take so long to figure it out and thanks for all your efforts...

17. 15 Posted by robgarr104 on 25 Jun, 2020 03:29 PM

New Post...situation solved...my method of backing up was to export backup which creates a new file name each time...that is why my file got so large. I am now backing up directly into my memory stick and the file name doesn't change and limits the backups to 5.
    Works much better and faster this way...
    Sorry to take so long to figure it out and thanks for all your efforts...

18. Support Staff 16 Posted by Ethan on 25 Jun, 2020 05:39 PM

I'm glad to hear things have been sorted out! Please let us know if we can be of further assistance,

Ethan
    Infinite Kind Support

19. Ethan closed this discussion on 25 Jun, 2020 05:39 PM.

Comments are currently closed for this discussion. You can start a new one.

Keyboard shortcuts

Generic

? Show this help
ESC Blurs the current field

Comment Form

r Focus the comment reply box
^ + ↩ Submit the comment

You can use Command ⌘ instead of Control ^ on Mac