Sets of data

Mike Josey

17 May, 2020 08:55 AM

Good morning

I seem suddenly to have acquired a second set of accounts. Briefly, I have our own accounts and a second set for a church support group of which I am the Treasurer. They are called "RealMulberry" and "Real St George's". The new set is called "RealMulberry2" and came complete with a full set of accounts, replicating the originals. I deleted all of the accounts in "RealMulberry2" but cannot find a way to get rid of it itself: I don't know what to call it - shall we say the "RealMulberry2 summary"

Whilst it's nothing more (i hope) than a nuisance, it's annoying that there seems to be no way of getting rid of it.

All ideas welcome!

Thanks

1. 1 Posted by dwg on 17 May, 2020 09:07 AM

I'm a fellow user.

I assume you means you have an extra data set, accessed via the menu command File --> Open.

It is not possible to delete data sets from within Moneydance, you can think of this as a safety measure to help prevent accidental deletion. You need to use Operating system tools to delete a data set, the details are in the Knowledge Base article:

https://infinitekind.tenderapp.com/kb/file-locations-and-changes/deleting-files

2. 2 Posted by Mike Josey on 17 May, 2020 10:38 AM

dwg - you are a star!!!

Thanks so much……..it was a silly thing but it was really bugging me.

Cheers - have a good day

Mike Josey

3. 3 Posted by derekkent23 on 17 May, 2020 11:00 AM

I am not support staff, just a user.
    Hi Mike

Just a thought on where the data set “RealMulberry2” may have come from.

Moneydance auto backup has the naming convention yourdatasetname.yyyy-mm-dd.moneydancearchive

When you restore an automatic backup, FILE (MONEYDANCE on Mac) – RESTORE FROM BACKUP you do not overwrite your existing data set, a new data set is created, yourdatasetname (plus at number).moneydance
    e.g. RealMulberry2

Hope this explains what happened.

4. 4 Posted by Mike Josey on 17 May, 2020 11:06 AM

Thanks, Derek - yes that explains it. I always feel a complete fool with these things as, for about 30 years I was in IT going from programmer (using Basic Assembler on an IBM360/30 in 1964) to Service Manager and folding up with stress in 1993. However, things have changed enormously in the interim (and, also, I’ve got older!)

Thanks again

Mike

5. Maddy closed this discussion on 19 May, 2020 12:05 AM.

Comments are currently closed for this discussion. You can start a new one.

Keyboard shortcuts

Generic

? Show this help
ESC Blurs the current field

Comment Form

r Focus the comment reply box
^ + ↩ Submit the comment

You can use Command ⌘ instead of Control ^ on Mac