Latest version of Moneydance will not download share prices

David Dowzell

25 Jun, 2020 05:28 PM

I installed the latest version and now find I can download currency rates to GBP but when I attempt to download share prices in my base currency of GBP (all shares are GBP in pence) I get a message saying "Unable to get rate from to GBP" Please advise how I should proceed. I have used Alphavantage as the source for share prices since it was offered a few years ago.

Regards
David

1. Support Staff 1 Posted by Maddy on 25 Jun, 2020 10:17 PM

Hi David,

We are sorry to hear about the problem you have encountered.

Can you check you're running the latest version of the Quotes and Exchange Rates extension? To do this, choose Extensions --> Manage Extensions. The latest version of the extension is v.1024.

We've included IEX trading as another source for updating rates. This website includes a list of eligible symbols IEX trading uses - https://iextrading.com/trading/eligible-symbols/

Recently, a knowledgeable Moneydance customer and developer (Mike Bray) has created a third party extension called 'Quotes Loader' that has been verified by us.

You can find more information about the extension in this thread(the latest free third-party Quote Loader is post 205) from the public discussion board.

To get an overview take a look at the YouTube video by using the link on page one of the PDF.

The latest build 3021 of Quote Loader is available within Moneydance, under Extensions –> Manage Extensions.

The system provides an end to end solution, obtaining quotes from a choice of two sources and entering them into the relevant History window, all from a single window within Moneydance. The system can obtain Security Prices, Exchange Rates, Market Indices, Cryptocurrency Rates and prices for Cryptocurrency Investments. The system provides quotes from many stock exchanges, US, Canada, UK, Europe and Australia to name but a few. The process of obtaining quotes from the selected source is fast and error free.

Download the attached PDF, follow the instructions on how to use Quote Loader.

The PDF also contains links to a Quick Start Video Guide, a Short Tutorial Video and a Full Tutorial Video, all on YouTube.

The second PDF covers the creation and importing of Cryptocurrencies and Market Indices into Moneydance.

Please keep this thread to this subject on how to use Quote Loader:
    https://infinitekind.tenderapp.com/discussions/investments/4914-the...

Finally, it might be useful referring you to this thread containing the last update from Mike Bray.

I hope this information is helpful. Please let me know if you have further questions or need any assistance.

--
    Maddy, Infinite Kind Support

2. 2 Posted by jeanette and da... on 26 Jun, 2020 10:43 AM

Hi Maddy

I’m an 81 year old man and have difficulty following tech advice so want to keep to a simple solution if possible. ( A Moneydance user for numerous years without to much problem!)?. I’ve perhaps made a mistake by updating to your version 2020 (1914) which has unfortunately caused my share price download problem. Previous updates have been fine and the prior version worked well using Alphavantage although slow but it served my needs.

I am using Quotes and Exchange Rates Updater v.1024 with none of the other modules installed. I see that your reply refers to Mike Bray’s latest build as being 3021 but the Manage Extension list states that 3025 is the current build so I’m reluctant to use this instead of v.1024 without advice.

Can you advise if this would work if I removed v.1024; replaced it with 3025? Would I then need to download Mike’s link or would that be activated just by using Quote Loader v3025? Thirdly, would the share price download source automatically change from Alphavantage and IEX to his chosen sources and continue to recognize the same ticker codes for the London Stock Market?

The other option would be for me to step back to the prior version of Moneydance, if you can supply a link to that, although I’ve always chosen to use the latest MD version over many years which has served me well.

I’m just nervous so any help in laypersons language would be gratefully received.

Regards
    David

3. Support Staff 3 Posted by Maddy on 26 Jun, 2020 08:18 PM

Hi David,

You can find a very useful and comprehensive guide in post 38 at

Download the PDF attached to posts 38 and have a read.

To get an overview take a look at the YouTube videos by using the links on page 1 and 2 of the PDF.

--

4. 4 Posted by derekkent23 on 26 Jun, 2020 09:12 PM

I am not support staff, just a user.
    Hi David

The latest build of Quote Loader is 3025 and work with both Moneydance 2019 and 2020.

As a UK user you will find the source FT or Yahoo will meet your needs.

Just download the PDF attached to post 38 and use the links on page 1 and 2 of the PDF to watch the YouTube tutorial video. Then read the PDF.

A more direct link to post 38 recommended my Maddy is

Hope this helps.

5. 5 Posted by jeanette and da... on 27 Jun, 2020 11:20 AM

Hi Maddy & Derek

Thank you so very much for the help you have both provided. I’m delighted to report that I have now successfully used Quote Loader and find it absolutely brilliant. Even for a non-tech individual like me the guidance was easy to follow.

Although in the much earlier days of Moneydance the quotes were received fairly rapidly by Google -- unlike the slow replacement downloading by Alphavantage – I have now found the FT download to be extremely quick as are the currencies.

Regards & thanks again

David

Sent from Mail<https://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?LinkId=550986> for Windows 10

6. 6 Posted by derekkent23 on 27 Jun, 2020 03:54 PM

I am not support staff, just a user.
    Hi David.

Glad we were able to Help and you find Quote Loader brilliant.
    Keep your eye open for new builds.

Have Fun, Stay Safe.

7. Support Staff 7 Posted by Maddy on 27 Jun, 2020 09:04 PM

You are welcome, David! I'm very pleased to hear that.
    Once again, a massive thank you Derek for you attention to the other customers. That's very kind of you.
    I'll close this discussion for now, but do not hesitate to contact us again, if you need further assistance.

--

8. Maddy closed this discussion on 27 Jun, 2020 09:04 PM.

Comments are currently closed for this discussion. You can start a new one.

Keyboard shortcuts

Generic

? Show this help
ESC Blurs the current field

Comment Form

r Focus the comment reply box
^ + ↩ Submit the comment

You can use Command ⌘ instead of Control ^ on Mac