Account has consistently wrong transaction description after qfx imports

Brian

08 Aug, 2020 10:02 PM

On the accounts where I use qfx (as apposed to csv via the csv plugin) imports, each transaction ends up having 2 description lines. The first line is very often not correct (and if it is correct, it matches the second line exactly), and has no reference to the qfx file itself. These descriptions do end up sharing the first few characters. As an example, the transaction may have "PAYPAL *STORE1" as the first line, and "PAYPAL *STORE2" as the second line. If I look at the qfx file itself, I see that the NAME and MEMO fields say "PAYPAL *STORE2", and there is no reference at all in the file to "PAYPAL *STORE1", but far in the past I did have a transaction for "PAYPAL *STORE1" (which had "PAYPAL *STORE1" on both lines of the transaction).

I'm not sure if this is some sort of intentional behavior or not, but it is really, really annoying. It's difficult for me to figure out which is the actual name at a glance, I always forget if it's the top or the bottom one.

1. 1 Posted by -Kevin N. on 08 Aug, 2020 11:03 PM

Hi Brian,

When you go to Confirm these STORE1 transactions, does the 'Similar Payees' section of the Confirmation sidebar offer a suitable payee description?

-Kevin N. (not a member of MD support)

2. 2 Posted by Brian on 08 Aug, 2020 11:10 PM

Ah yes! I guess I didn't read the sidebar, and always hit the top confirmation bar, instead of the lower "transaction as downloaded" one. If I click the lower confirmation bar, then both lines change to be the same correct text.

Any idea if it's possible to modify other transactions that were already confirmed? I don't see an option to unconfirm something, and the "Mark as uncleared" and "Mark as reconciling" don't seem to do anything.

3. 3 Posted by -Kevin N. on 09 Aug, 2020 01:52 AM

Hi Brian,

In order to edit multiple transactions, I think your best bet would be to use Batch Change.

Batch Change is a powerful tool. Make a copy or backup of your data file before tinkering with Batch Change; just incase.

You can select non-contiguous transactions by holding down CTRL while clicking.
    Hold down SHIFT to select contiguous transactions.

Once selected, right-click (CTRL-click for Mac) any of the highlighted transactions.

From the resulting context menu, select Batch Change > Description. Doing so will change the Description field of the highlighted transactions to what you type in the Batch Change box.

There's some more information on using Batch Change here:
    https://infinitekind.tenderapp.com/kb/register-and-transactions/bat...

-Kevin N. (not a member of MD support)

4. 4 Posted by Brian on 09 Aug, 2020 09:56 PM

Unfortunately it looks like batch change can only change entries to a specific string. With a most entries being unique, it would be a mostly manual job.

Reply to this discussion

Internal reply

Formatting help / Preview (switch to plain text) No formatting (switch to Markdown)

Attaching KB article:

»

Attached Files

You can attach files up to 10MB

If you don't have an account yet, we need to confirm you're human and not a machine trying to post spam.

Keyboard shortcuts

Generic

? Show this help
ESC Blurs the current field

Comment Form

r Focus the comment reply box
^ + ↩ Submit the comment

You can use Command ⌘ instead of Control ^ on Mac