Restoring from archive file

Donald C Mazlin

16 Sep, 2020 01:30 AM

As my files were getting too large I deleted several years data now the system has gone mad. i'm trying to restore from an earlier date moneydancearchive file but can't get the old system going. I've tried Putting .zip on the end of the old archive file and using winzip to unzip the archive file and then using Restore from backup but it doesn't give me the old data in fact nothing happens. Your help would be appreciated. I have Moneydance 2015.

1. 1 Posted by dwg on 16 Sep, 2020 01:35 AM

I'm a fellow user.

Instructions for restoring a backup in Moneydance 2015 can be found in the Knowledge Base:

https://infinitekind.tenderapp.com/kb/archive-moneydance-2014-and-2015/archive-opening-a-backup-file-in-moneydance-2015

2. 2 Posted by Don Mazlin on 16 Sep, 2020 04:28 AM

Thanks I've tried this and it doesn"t work.

Don

3. 3 Posted by dwg on 16 Sep, 2020 04:44 AM

If you append the zip extension and open it up in your archive software what files and structure is in the archive?

4. 4 Posted by Don Mazlin on 16 Sep, 2020 06:18 AM

5. 5 Posted by dwg on 16 Sep, 2020 06:54 AM

I have had a look at the archive in 7-Zip and it is a valid backup in the correct format.

I then stripped off the .zip extension. The file name:

90Oct2016.2020-09-07moneydancearchive

Is an invalid name for a Moneydance backup, either it was saved with an invalid name or the name has been changed.

A valid Moneydance backup file has a name in the form of :

FileName.moneydancearchive

The file extension must be .moneydancearchive for the file to be recognized as a Moneydance backup.

Hence if you rename it something like:

90Oct2016_2020-09-07.moneydancearchive

You should be able to restore it. I have installed Moneydance 2015 and tested this file and it did restore.

6. 6 Posted by Don Mazlin on 17 Sep, 2020 01:34 AM

Thanks very much for your efforts. After reading your last email I
    discovered the full stop in the file name was in the wrong place possibly
    because "moneydancearchive" is an unusual file extension. Once I moved the
    stop to the correct place and unzipped the backed up file I was able to
    restore the old data.

Two questions I would like to bother you with:

7. 7 Posted by Don Mazlin on 17 Sep, 2020 01:45 AM

Sorry about the inadvertent premature send but the questions are:

Can I upgrade from version 2015 to 2020 without losing any data?

Is there some way of getting rid of some of the old data without screwing
    things up?

Thanks ever so much.

Don

8. 8 Posted by dwg on 17 Sep, 2020 02:02 AM

I'm a fellow user.

I have made some comments below.

Can I upgrade from version 2015 to 2020 without losing any data?

You will need to purchase a upgrade license at a 50% discount, but yes you should be able to upgrade straight to version 2020 without problem. I have tested data from many older versions, back to around 2010 and had no problems. That being said I would strongly recommend taking a backup of Moneydance before starting just in case.

Is there some way of getting rid of some of the old data without screwing things up?

The short answer is no. If you really understand how Moneydance works it is not impossible, but it can be a lot of work and I would not even think about it if Investments are involved. It usually however does not give the desired result. Many people wish to remove older data in the belief that it will reduce the size of the data set, Moneydance though uses a journal method of managing data so it has the opposite effect and actually increases the size of your data set.

The approach that is recommended in Moneydance is to do things like marking old accounts and categories that are no longer used as inactive, remove no longer used accounts from the Summary page and the side bar and to use the filters in the register to restrict the amount of data being displayed.

9. 9 Posted by Don Mazlin on 18 Sep, 2020 07:06 AM

Dear  DWG,

Thank you so much for all your help and advice. It is much appreciated.

Don

Reply to this discussion

Internal reply

Formatting help / Preview (switch to plain text) No formatting (switch to Markdown)

Attaching KB article:

»

Attached Files

You can attach files up to 10MB

If you don't have an account yet, we need to confirm you're human and not a machine trying to post spam.

Keyboard shortcuts

Generic

? Show this help
ESC Blurs the current field

Comment Form

r Focus the comment reply box
^ + ↩ Submit the comment

You can use Command ⌘ instead of Control ^ on Mac