Crashing on second monitor

Stuart Jones

23 Oct, 2020 06:36 AM

Hi, I've just upgraded to 2021 and when I run Moneydance on my primary monitor, everything is fine. If I move the window to a second monitor though and then try and swap from the summary screen to a bank account or any of the reports, it crashes out.

1. 1 Posted by derekkent23 on 23 Oct, 2020 07:19 AM

I am not support staff, just a user.
    Hi Stuart

2021 user a later version of java an earlier versions of Moneydance.

A comment from Sean Moneydances software developer.

an update on the crashing issue:
    • it happens on macOS (all versions as far as I can tell) primarily but not necessarily only when there is an external display connected. • the crash is at the java/vm level so we'll need the fix to come from there. A new build of the AdoptOpenJDK is due out any day now • this same crash is affecting other java apps with much more widespread use so people are working on it and I'm confident that a newer openjdk build (see above) will fix it.

Hope this informs.

2. 2 Posted by Chris Iliffe on 23 Oct, 2020 06:15 PM

I’ve got the same issue, so pleased I took the free upgrade lol

3. 3 Posted by rslueb on 16 Nov, 2020 03:44 PM

I was able to move Moneydance windows between monitors without problem until I updated to Big Sur.

4. Support Staff 4 Posted by Maddy on 16 Nov, 2020 04:30 PM

Hi all,

Can you try upgrading to the latest free preview version, as this should hopefully fix the problem for you?

Moneydance 2021 (2008) is now available to download from this page.

For a full list of improvements in the preview version, please refer to this page.

I hope this information is helpful. Please let me know if you have further questions or need any assistance.

--
    Maddy, Infinite Kind Support

5. 5 Posted by rslueb on 09 Jan, 2021 02:31 PM

I am hesitant to use preview versions of software so I’m inclined to wait until the next release - can you give me any idea when that may be? In the meantime, I’m avoiding moving Moneydance windows between monitors but I sometime do so by accident. So my question is:

Will these crashes corrupt my data?

Thank you,
    Rick

6. 6 Posted by Stuart Beesley ... on 09 Jan, 2021 04:16 PM

Stuart Beesley - JUST A FELLOW USER's Avatar

Personally, unless you have online bank connections, I would upgrade to 2021 build 3034. It fixes many of these Big Sur issues, including crashes. Consider it a bug fixed version of the non-preview version. Don't do this tho' (yet) if you have working online bank download features......

The other. thing to do is to go to Mac / settings / general / prefer tabs and change to fullscreen or never.

(Yes I use a Mac, upgraded to Big Sur)....

(Not support, just a fellow user)

Reply to this discussion

Internal reply

Formatting help / Preview (switch to plain text) No formatting (switch to Markdown)

Attaching KB article:

»

Attached Files

You can attach files up to 10MB

If you don't have an account yet, we need to confirm you're human and not a machine trying to post spam.

Keyboard shortcuts

Generic

? Show this help
ESC Blurs the current field

Comment Form

r Focus the comment reply box
^ + ↩ Submit the comment

You can use Command ⌘ instead of Control ^ on Mac