Entering New Licence

Kidglove57

24 Oct, 2020 09:19 AM

I cancelled my licence in Sept.!

The product is still working so I have had another play. I now realise that i made a mistake so I have purchased a new licence.

QUESTION: How do I delete the old licence (refunded) and enter my new licence key (just purchased) please?

1. 1 Posted by dwg on 24 Oct, 2020 09:43 AM

I'm a fellow user.

The easiest way is to delete the file config.dict but this will also remove all preferences i.e. Moneydance will act as if it is a new fresh install.

2. 2 Posted by Kidglove57 on 24 Oct, 2020 10:19 AM

Thanks so much!
    I’ll be sure to take a screen shot of my prefs first. Before I do so though - would I have to set up all the reports on my summary page again

3. 3 Posted by dwg on 24 Oct, 2020 10:49 AM

Yes you would.

The other thing you can tray is to take a copy of the config.dict file, then edit the file look for the old key and substitute it for the new key.

The only think that may go wrong that I can think of is that the like may say something like gen.lic_key2019 and that may need to change to gen.lic_key2021.

But as you have a backup you can afford to try it.

4. 4 Posted by Kidglove57 on 24 Oct, 2020 11:56 AM

Thank you again - I really appreciate this.
    The new licence key is now successfully recorded and I did not have to change from gen.lic 2019.

I’m not sure why Moneydance do not invalidate refunded licence keys but I like to stay honest!

5. 5 Posted by dwg on 24 Oct, 2020 07:55 PM

I'm a fellow user.

If there was a way of Moneydance invalidating a license that would mean the Moneydance software on your machine was communicating with a Moneydance server without your knowledge. If it could do that then it could potentially do many other things.

Moneydance values security and privacy so this is just not done.

6. Kidglove57 closed this discussion on 24 Oct, 2020 08:49 PM.

Comments are currently closed for this discussion. You can start a new one.

Keyboard shortcuts

Generic

? Show this help
ESC Blurs the current field

Comment Form

r Focus the comment reply box
^ + ↩ Submit the comment

You can use Command ⌘ instead of Control ^ on Mac