2021 crashing on Mac OS

Ben Field

26 Oct, 2020 06:36 PM

2020.2 works fine but 2021 is crashing on Mac OS X 10.15.6 when I try to do literally anything.

Crashed Thread: 25 Java: Java2D Queue Flusher

Exception Type: EXC_BAD_ACCESS (SIGABRT)
Exception Codes: KERN_INVALID_ADDRESS at 0x0000000000000000
Exception Note: EXC_CORPSE_NOTIFY

1. 1 Posted by derekkent23 on 26 Oct, 2020 07:27 PM

I am not support staff, just a user.
    Hi en

This from Sean the Moneydance software developer posted on 22-10

An update on the crashing issue for this release:
    it happens on macOS (all versions as far as I can tell) primarily but not necessarily only when there is an external display connected.
    the crash is at the java/vm level so we'll need the fix to come from there. A new build of the AdoptOpenJDK is due out any day now
    this same crash is affecting other java apps with much more widespread use so people are working on it and I'm confident that a newer openjdk build (see above) will fix it.

Hope this informs

2. 2 Posted by ttf3289 on 26 Oct, 2020 08:01 PM

Is this correct? Apparently since I opened my DropBox synched data with the upgrade, the data will now no longer synch with the previous version!

Initial Sych of previous MD version to DropBox never completes.

3. 3 Posted by derekkent23 on 26 Oct, 2020 09:01 PM

Hi ttf3289

You should always run the same version and build of Moneydance if you want to use Moneydance syncing.

When I upgraded, I installed 2021 on all my 3 windows 10 and 1 Linux computer, before opening Moneydance on any of them. When I had completed the upgrade to 2021 syncing was still working as before and also synced to my 2 Android phones. I did not have to take any steps to re-establish syncing.

If you are having problems then I would suggest you reset syncing and start again. If you are not sure how to do this just post and state the operating systems of the devices you want to sync.

Hope this helps.

4. 4 Posted by ttf3289 on 26 Oct, 2020 09:15 PM

Hello derekkent23
    Just to clarify .. I dropped the upgrade executable over the previous version, in the applications folder (which is allowed in MacOS), and the data opened correctly in the upgrade. However, when selection is made in the upgrade, it crashes (as now documented), so updates or changes to data cannot be made.
    Reinstalling the previous version of MD does not resolve this, because it now cannot read the data file. Nor can it be re-synched. Now I have tried to synch to the data file with upgrade version .. but of course that can't be done because the app, crashes in MacOS.
    Having tested software for over 20 years, I believe I understand what is happening (and even what I did wrong). I am just anxious for reply from actual support staff regarding when a fix might be coming, or how I might resolve the synch problem back to the previous version (which I now doubt can be done).
    Thanks for you input.

5. 5 Posted by derekkent23 on 26 Oct, 2020 10:30 PM

Hi ttf3289

I don’t have a Mac, my computers are Windows 10 and Linux.

During testing 2021 I have reinstalled 2020 and then re-installed 2021 many times. Data sets created in either open in the other. Whichever I am running syncing works. I always run the same version/build on all computers.
    There is no reason why this should not be true on a Mac.
    The data set structure is the same all the way back to 2017. You can open the same data set in Windows, Linux or Mac.

Hope this helps.

6. 6 Posted by dwg on 28 Oct, 2020 01:41 AM

Moneydance 2021 Build 2008 has been posted, this is from the change log.

Moneydance 2021.1 build 2008 (Mon, 26 Oct 2020 23:55:00 +0000)
     * handle bad dates properly when reading OFX (with default values upon formatting/parsing errors)
     * update layout of license key entry window to avoid squishing
     * fix bug when importing or un-archiving a file when the main moneydance window is not yet open
     * fix crashes on macs when using multiple monitors
     * fixed bug in OnlineService updates when the connection parameters contain lists or maps

https://infinitekind.com/preview

7. 7 Posted by wintcor on 22 Nov, 2020 10:38 AM

Is there a fix to this problem? I see some of the threads relating to this have been closed without resolution. How do I downgrade to latest working version???

8. 8 Posted by Stuart Beesley ... on 22 Nov, 2020 10:42 AM

Stuart Beesley - JUST A FELLOW USER's Avatar

Are you on Big Sur?

9. 9 Posted by wintcor on 22 Nov, 2020 10:43 AM

No not yet

10. 10 Posted by Stuart Beesley ... on 22 Nov, 2020 10:45 AM

I'm unclear, have you downloaded the latest preview version (with many fixes)? 2021.8?

11. 11 Posted by wintcor on 22 Nov, 2020 10:48 AM

No, is that the solution?

I generally don’t download preview versions, to avoid issues like with this one

12. 12 Posted by Stuart Beesley ... on 22 Nov, 2020 10:49 AM

(I'm not from support). It seems pretty good and has fixed many issues in the initial 2021 release. (yes, I'm running it).

13. 13 Posted by wintcor on 22 Nov, 2020 10:57 AM

Thanks, I will try it.

You seem to know a lot about this SW

14. 14 Posted by Stuart Beesley ... on 22 Nov, 2020 10:59 AM

(just a fellow user)

Reply to this discussion

Internal reply

Formatting help / Preview (switch to plain text) No formatting (switch to Markdown)

Attaching KB article:

»

Attached Files

You can attach files up to 10MB

If you don't have an account yet, we need to confirm you're human and not a machine trying to post spam.

Keyboard shortcuts

Generic

? Show this help
ESC Blurs the current field

Comment Form

r Focus the comment reply box
^ + ↩ Submit the comment

You can use Command ⌘ instead of Control ^ on Mac