Unable get back to last saved accounts

Ron Powell's Avatar

Ron Powell

08 Mar, 2021 06:01 PM

I always 'Save' and close file when it says Finished saving data.
Sometimes when I reopen my file rather than opening last file saved it takes me back to 2019 - see attached
I can no longer find my last save file - which would be yesterdays date - 7 March 2021
What am I doing wrong and more importantly how can I recover my yesterdays saved file
I am running on an Apple Mac running version 10.15.7

  1. 1 Posted by Stuart Beesley ... on 08 Mar, 2021 06:23 PM

    Stuart Beesley - JUST A FELLOW USER's Avatar

    Wow! you must be doing something wrong when opening your dataset..? Do you double click on a filename to open? Some people open the backup by mistake and this creates a new file with a number on the end and so on.....

    What version of MD?

    There is no File/Save option? Nor File / Close option?

    Go to Help Show>Documents Folder. Keep finder open, and then quit Moneydance.

    Can you find the most recent folder/file (called *.moneydance)? If you think you've found it, rename it to something like "finances.moneydance" and then relaunch Moneydance and File/Open finances...

    (not support, just a fellow user)

  2. 2 Posted by Ron Powell on 08 Mar, 2021 06:44 PM

    Ron Powell's Avatar

    Hi Stuart - I have been having this problem for a couple of years and it seems to happen every few months and I have to put in the backlog manually which you will appreciate takes me ages.

    Here is the icon from where I start to open my file

    It then opens as follows:-

    Then a second one opens as follows bt which I simply cancel:

    When I finish and to close down I save what I have done as follows

    Herewith info on version etc:

    As long as I don’t inadvertently click on a wrong key whilst opening no problem I get back to my last saved version - However a wrong key pressed to open then I get back t0 2019 and unable find my last yesterday version - very frustrating

  3. 3 Posted by Stuart Beesley ... on 08 Mar, 2021 06:53 PM

    Stuart Beesley - JUST A FELLOW USER's Avatar

    I can't follow what you are doing, but some comments:

    • It looks like your data is on an iCloud synchronised folder... If so, this is a very bad idea with Moneydance.. It needs to exist on a non-cloud local folder.

    The screen shots are of a moneydancearchive file. These are backups and not live datasets...

    did you look at this?

    Go to Help Show>Documents Folder. Keep finder open, and then quit Moneydance.

    Can you find the most recent folder/file (called *.moneydance)? If you think you've found it, rename it to something like "finances.moneydance" and then relaunch Moneydance and File/Open finances...

    (not support, just a fellow user)

  4. 4 Posted by Ron Powell on 08 Mar, 2021 07:05 PM

    Ron Powell's Avatar

    I fear because you are not sitting next to me I won’t be able to follow what you are saying and what you want me to do.

    I am attaching screen shots of old icons when I lost data and had to restart again.

    Sorry Stuart I am 81 years old and no longer savvy with this program

  5. 5 Posted by Stuart Beesley ... on 08 Mar, 2021 07:07 PM

    Stuart Beesley - JUST A FELLOW USER's Avatar

    Hi. Before we go any further, what version of MD are you running? I can see it’s old.

  6. 6 Posted by Ron Powell on 08 Mar, 2021 07:13 PM

    Ron Powell's Avatar


    On 8 Mar 2021, at 19:07, Stuart Beesley - JUST A FELLOW USER <[email blocked]> wrote:

    // Please reply above this line 
    ================================================== 

    From: Stuart Beesley - JUST A FELLOW USER

    Hi. Before we go any further, what version of MD are you running? I can see it’s old.

    On Mon, Mar 08 at 11:05 AM PST, Ron Powell wrote:

    I fear because you are not sitting next to me I won’t be able to follow what you are saying and what you want me to do.

    I am attaching screen shots of old icons when I lost data and had to restart again.

    Sorry Stuart I am 81 years old and no longer savvy with this program

    Having trouble reading this? View this discussion online: Unable get back to last saved accounts.

    Reply with #ignore to stop receiving notifications for this discussion.


  7. 7 Posted by Stuart Beesley ... on 08 Mar, 2021 07:25 PM

    Stuart Beesley - JUST A FELLOW USER's Avatar

    OK, so 2017 version..

    I'm guessing but I think you open Moneydance by double-clicking a filename. This is wrong and I think you are opening a backup file (.moneydancearchive) rather than a normal dataset (.moneydance).. When you do this you are restoring a backup and creating yet another file.... This will end up being a right old mess....

    You need to open the app by opening Moneydance from the Applications Folder, or by locking the moneydance application icon onto your Dock and then by clicking that.

    I see your MD icon on the dock.. If you right click that when MD is running, can you select Options->Keep in Dock? This should fix that issue. Use this to launch MD..

    Right - on your file list above, in finder, can you go to View -> As list (rather than as icons) and send list - this will be more useful as we can then see dates....

    (not support, just a fellow user)

  8. 8 Posted by Ron Powell on 09 Mar, 2021 04:04 AM

    Ron Powell's Avatar

    You are absolutely right when you say that I open Moneydance by double clicking the file name which is an archive file

    I downloaded the latest version of Moneydance clicked on app to open but that just brought up the same old archive file so I have gone back to opening Moneydance with the 2017 version.

    I am scared I might loose everything and just get back to a fresh no data screen and I just dare not risk that scenario.

    When I have my file open and under file I see no list view. However the window icon there is a Welcome Moneydance icon and when I click on that I get the following:

    However clicking to open any of the above file dates simply opens a 2018 or 2019 file

  9. 9 Posted by Stuart Beesley ... on 09 Mar, 2021 09:44 AM

    Stuart Beesley - JUST A FELLOW USER's Avatar

    Hi,

    Ok - you should not really mix 2017 and 2021 versions....

    Let's go back to basics..

    SEE SCREENSHOTS

    1. You must start opening MD by using the app icon and NOT by double clicking the file... this is because you are opening the wrong file(s). As I said, please do this first. Launch Moneydance (however you want). You will then see the Moneydance icon on the Dock bar at the bottom of the screen. Two finger or right click the running icon and a popup menu will appear. Drag the mouse over the Options option and then ensure that keep in dock is ticked. Now exit MD. Does the icon stay in the dock bar at the bottom? If so, great, ALWAYS use this to launch Moneydance. It will remember the current file you are using. If OK, then go to step 2.

    2. As I said, launch Moneydance, Then Help Show Documents Folder. This launches Finder. KEEP FINDER OPEN and close Moneydance. Go back to Finder. In Finder there is a menu at the top. Click View as List. Then click the arrow on the heading to sort by date modified. You want the most recent at the top. At the top can you see a file something.moneydance - with .moneydance and NOT .moneydancearchive on the end? If you see one that looks the most recent, write down the name and then double click it to open. If it's correct, close Moneydance and then in Finder, change the name to Finances.moneydance then double click it to open.. If all is well, then this file will open very time..???

  10. 10 Posted by Ron Powell on 09 Mar, 2021 05:07 PM

    Ron Powell's Avatar

    See my reply in Red

  11. 11 Posted by Stuart Beesley ... on 09 Mar, 2021 05:26 PM

    Stuart Beesley - JUST A FELLOW USER's Avatar

    Hi, you cannot reply by writing below the “=====“ line - it gets ignored, so I cannot see your reply..? Can you try again?

  12. 12 Posted by Ron Powell on 09 Mar, 2021 05:37 PM

    Ron Powell's Avatar
    1. When I open/launch the Moneydance app from my applications folder it does not go straight into the Doc - It opens at the top of my screen with the word Moneydance - I then have to enter my password to decrypt  the file which then opens - as follows:


    On 9 Mar 2021, at 17:07, Ron Powell <[email blocked]> wrote:

    See my reply in Red

    On 9 Mar 2021, at 09:44, Stuart Beesley - JUST A FELLOW USER <[email blocked]> wrote:

    // Please reply above this line 
    ================================================== 

    From: Stuart Beesley - JUST A FELLOW USER

    Hi,

    Ok - you should not really mix 2017 and 2021 versions....

    Let's go back to basics..

    SEE SCREENSHOTS

    1. You must start opening MD by using the app icon and NOT by double clicking the file... this is because you are opening the wrong file(s). As I said, please do this first. Launch Moneydance (however you want). You will then see the Moneydance icon on the Dock bar at the bottom of the screen. Two finger or right click the running icon and a popup menu will appear. Drag the mouse over the Options option and then ensure that keep in dock is ticked. Now exit MD. Does the icon stay in the dock bar at the bottom? If so, great, ALWAYS use this to launch Moneydance. It will remember the current file you are using. If OK, then go to step 


      When I open/launch the Moneydance app from my applications folder it does not go straight into the Doc - It opens at the top of my screen with the word Moneydance - I then have to enter my password to decrypt  the file which then opens - as follows:<Screenshot 2021-03-09 at 16.57.43.png>




    2. As I said, launch Moneydance, Then Help Show Documents Folder. This launches Finder. KEEP FINDER OPEN and close Moneydance. Go back to Finder. In Finder there is a menu at the top. Click View as List. Then click the arrow on the heading to sort by date modified. You want the most recent at the top. At the top can you see a file something.moneydance - with .moneydance and NOT .moneydancearchive on the end? If you see one that looks the most recent, write down the name and then double click it to open. If it's correct, close Moneydance and then in Finder, change the name to Finances.moneydance then double click it to open.. If all is well, then this file will open very time..???

    On Mon, Mar 08 at 08:04 PM PST, Ron Powell wrote:

    You are absolutely right when you say that I open Moneydance by double clicking the file name which is an archive file

    I downloaded the latest version of Moneydance clicked on app to open but that just brought up the same old archive file so I have gone back to opening Moneydance with the 2017 version.

    I am scared I might loose everything and just get back to a fresh no data screen and I just dare not risk that scenario.

    When I have my file open and under file I see no list view. However the window icon there is a Welcome Moneydance icon and when I click on that I get the following:

    However clicking to open any of the above file dates simply opens a 2018 or 2019 file

    Having trouble reading this? View this discussion online: Unable get back to last saved accounts.

    Reply with #ignore to stop receiving notifications for this discussion.

    <1.png><2.png>


  13. 13 Posted by Stuart Beesley ... on 09 Mar, 2021 06:23 PM

    Stuart Beesley - JUST A FELLOW USER's Avatar

    I'm sorry, your reply was completely unreadable... You are better off clicking the link at the end of the email to read/write responses directly online.

    • Did you see my email with my points 1 and 2 and also my screenshots to show you how to find what I was saying?

    • All your problems stem from opening the wrong files manually, rather than using the app icon. At the moment MD is opening a version with encryption password set. This can be fixed.

    • I'm sorry, unless you can find your most recent *.moneydance dataset on your computer then I cannot help you further. Once you find this, then we can tell MD to always open this file using the proper icon and we can delete all the other files. We will also need to move your files away from the iCloud sync that you have setup. Can I respectfully ask if there is anyone who can help you hands-on navigate and find the right file? Once you find it, we can go from there....

    (not support, just a fellow user)

  14. 14 Posted by Ron Powell on 09 Mar, 2021 06:47 PM

    Ron Powell's Avatar

    I don’t know why my reply was unreadable as it was written above the line as requested

    I shall try once more

    When I open/launch the Moneydance app from my applications folder it does not go straight to my dock - It opens not as an icon but as a word ‘Moneydance” at the top of my screen - screen copy attached - I then have to enter my password to decrypt the file which then opens - another screen shot attached

    Yes I read and understood all your points and also was able to see your screen shots

    However could not get to do what you want me to do and I am trying to show you what happens when I begin to do what you have asked me to do.

    I am unable to find any Moneydance dataset let alone the most recent as all my backup files are archived

    My Moneydance files are in a folder on my dashboard

    Appreciate you trying to help Stuart but for one reason or another we not getting anywhere so I shall trouble you no more and thank you very much for trying to put me right.

    No doubt if you were sitting next to me you could see - understand and resolve the problem

    All the best

    Ronnie

  15. 15 Posted by Stuart Beesley ... on 09 Mar, 2021 06:54 PM

    Stuart Beesley - JUST A FELLOW USER's Avatar

    Hi Ronnie, yes very frustrating....
    One last thing... Yes, I can see what's happening, but unless you can get into Finder, and search for your files and view by date, I cannot assist.... Take care..
    Sorry I cannot help you further... S

  16. 16 Posted by Stuart Beesley ... on 09 Mar, 2021 07:02 PM

    Stuart Beesley - JUST A FELLOW USER's Avatar

    .

  17. 17 Posted by Ron Powell on 09 Mar, 2021 07:12 PM

    Ron Powell's Avatar

    Stuart thanks for the offer but I feel I should just continue in my old way and not trouble anyone any more - but appreciate you kindness

    My website tells you a little about me

    https://www.ronniepowell.co.uk/ <https://www.ronniepowell.co.uk/>. password. If required - Glossy56

Reply to this discussion

Internal reply

Formatting help / Preview (switch to plain text) No formatting (switch to Markdown)

Attaching KB article:

»

Already uploaded files

  • Screenshot_2021-03-08_at_17.57.21.png 13.4 MB

Attached Files

You can attach files up to 10MB

If you don't have an account yet, we need to confirm you're human and not a machine trying to post spam.

Keyboard shortcuts

Generic

? Show this help
ESC Blurs the current field

Comment Form

r Focus the comment reply box
^ + ↩ Submit the comment

You can use Command ⌘ instead of Control ^ on Mac

Recent Discussions

10 Apr, 2021 12:14 PM
10 Apr, 2021 11:30 AM
10 Apr, 2021 11:16 AM
10 Apr, 2021 11:09 AM
10 Apr, 2021 10:23 AM