Budget report is ignoring signage on budget values

wisemanja

12 Jul, 2021 09:45 PM

When using negative budget values in a given budget, the budget report ignores them resulting in significant errors in the calculations. In the following example I have defined a negative expense value in my budget. As you can see, the Budget report incorrectly treats it as a POSITIVE value (in this case resulting in an error of nearly $6,000 dollars)

Yes, I know that I can use a non taxable income category, but this is not income. It is a reimbursement of what was originally an expense.

1. 1 Posted by wisemanja on 10 Oct, 2021 02:51 AM

Is anyone looking at this?

2. 2 Posted by wisemanja on 22 Nov, 2021 08:21 PM

Hello?

3. 3 Posted by sth on 23 Nov, 2021 12:39 AM

I am not sure of the concept of a negative expense budget.... That would be an income items? This seems like a very non-standard way to approach budgeting. I am not surprised the MD does not handle it.

This isn't something that has a nice answer so I doubt that many will respond here on the forum.
    (NOT IK Support)

4. 4 Posted by wisemanja on 24 Nov, 2021 06:07 AM

A negative expense is not an income. Neither would it be a taxable or reportable on any government form. These could be for planned reimbursements for expenses that were already dispersed. Planning a budgeted recovery to large unexpected expenses is very useful.

Also, in any spreadsheet, numbers are numbers. For orthogonality, whether they are negative or positive makes no difference and both should always be supported. In fact, I would think it would require exception type coding and extra work to intentionally disallowed negative budget values.

The same argument can be made for liability type accounts such as credit cards. You have to be able to record a negative liability on a card if you have overpaid on it.

Besides, it seems rather silly that although MD will allow negative values to be entered as budgeted amounts and then turn around and throw the signage away when creating reports.

5. 5 Posted by sth on 25 Nov, 2021 04:20 AM

MD is not a spreadsheet. A negative budget is not a standard use of the program. I actually have no feeling one way or another if such a thing should be supported or if by default all budget numbers should be positive. However, I do know that this is not a regular use of the budget process. To avoid errors, the system makes sure that budgets are positive. I am not even sure how the system would try to plot those budget bars. To handle budgets the system makes sure budget numbers are positive along with the various time periods ets.

What I am saying is that it is not clear that this is a bug or a feature. It may not work just as you want. It is not a generalized spreadsheet but a personal financial management program.

Recording a liability is double entry book keeping in MD. This is a more robust and stable version of book keeping than most programs. In this case a any liability has a corresponding asset somewhere (ether in another account or a category). A credit card will carry a positive balance if you overpay. But that is not a budget.

It is true that the input verification is not perfect in the UI giving you that kind of feedback on entry and rejecting a negative number would be helpful.
    (NOT IK Support)

6. System closed this discussion on 24 Feb, 2022 04:30 AM.

Comments are currently closed for this discussion. You can start a new one.

Keyboard shortcuts

Generic

? Show this help
ESC Blurs the current field

Comment Form

r Focus the comment reply box
^ + ↩ Submit the comment

You can use Command ⌘ instead of Control ^ on Mac