iCoud Sync - Moneydance quits unexpectedly

Mark Zeppel

12 Oct, 2021 12:20 AM

I have just installed the new version of Moneydance. After installing the program I attempted to change syncing from Dropbox to iCloud. When I did this, the program quit unexpectedly and continues to do so each time I reopen it. I have given Moneydance full disk access.
An error report file is attached.

1. 1 Posted by stepmcnul on 12 Oct, 2021 04:55 AM

I have the same problem. I reinstalled the older version so I can still use the app. Seems odd they would release a new production version with such a massive bug.

2. 2 Posted by Stuart Beesley ... on 12 Oct, 2021 08:17 AM

Stuart Beesley - JUST A FELLOW USER and Toolbox ‘guy’'s Avatar

What version of MacOS?

Can you find and post the error log after a crash? It’s called errlog.txt.

3. 3 Posted by Stuart Beesley ... on 12 Oct, 2021 01:46 PM

I just tried swapping and it's fine for me so....

What version of MD?
    What version of MacOSx?

Can you post this file after the crash/exit:
    /Users/YOURNAME/Library/Containers/com.infinitekind.MoneydanceOSX/Data/Library/Application Support/Moneydance/errlog.txt

(not support, just a fellow user)

4. 4 Posted by Mark Zeppel on 12 Oct, 2021 10:32 PM

Moneydance Version: 2022 (4055)
    macOS Big Sur Version 11.6 (20G165)
    There is no err log.txt file and no com.infinitekind folder.
    See attached file from Terminal

5. 5 Posted by stepmcnul on 13 Oct, 2021 02:13 AM

This was captured in Terminal "WARNING: An illegal reflective access operation has occurred
    WARNING: Illegal reflective access by com.bulenkov.darcula.DarculaLaf (file:/Applications/Moneydance.app/Contents/Java/darcula.jar) to constructor com.apple.laf.AquaLookAndFeel()
    WARNING: Please consider reporting this to the maintainers of com.bulenkov.darcula.DarculaLaf
    WARNING: Use --illegal-access=warn to enable warnings of further illegal reflective access operations
    WARNING: All illegal access operations will be denied in a future release"

Is this what is causing the issue?

6. 6 Posted by Mark Zeppel on 13 Oct, 2021 03:59 AM

I have no idea what that means

7. 7 Posted by Mark Zeppel on 13 Oct, 2021 04:14 AM

Do you have Java installed?

8. 8 Posted by stepmcnul on 13 Oct, 2021 04:26 AM

No, JAVA isn’t installed. Should it be?

Regards

Stephen

Date: Wednesday, 13 October 2021 at 12:14 pm
    To: [email blocked] <[email blocked]>
    Subject: Re: Moneydance quits unexpectedly [Problems #73394]

// Please reply above this line
    ==================================================

Do you have Java installed?

On Tue, Oct 12 at 08:59 PM PDT, Mark Zeppel wrote:

I have no idea what that means

Having trouble reading this? View this discussion online: Moneydance quits unexpectedly.

To unsubscribe and stop receiving emails from https://infinitekind.tenderapp.com, visit this page

9. 9 Posted by Mark Zeppel on 13 Oct, 2021 04:44 AM

I only asked because there was a reference to Java in one of the warnings.
    I tried installing Java but MD still crashed.

10. 10 Posted by dwg on 13 Oct, 2021 05:11 AM

I'm a fellow user.

While I'm not a Mac user I will make a couple of comments

1. Moneydance comes bundled with a specific version of Java that it uses, it will not use any installed system Java.

2. I believe Apple have changed directory structures with Big Sur. with the upper level Moneydance location something like /Users/<username>/Library/Containers/Moneydance/Data/

If you have any trouble finding your Home Library folder you can open Finder and hold down the option key while selecting the Go menu and the Library folder option should occur or you can open Finder and select Go → Go to Folder and copy and paste in the following:

~/Library

This should pull up your local Library folder.

You could also potentially use Finder to see if you can locate the file errlog.txt

iCloud support for the desktop was introduced in one of the Moneydance 2021 preview releases, I have seen no reports of any problems with it.

11. 11 Posted by dwg on 13 Oct, 2021 05:36 AM

Assuming there is some consistency in file locations I think the error log could be at:

~/Library/Containers/Moneydance/Data/Library/Application Support/Moneydance/errlog.txt

12. 12 Posted by stepmcnul on 13 Oct, 2021 05:50 AM

You're right. I just found it there, thanks. Thankfully I can still use the old version whilst this issue is sorted out

13. 13 Posted by Mark Zeppel on 13 Oct, 2021 07:22 AM

I uninstalled the new version, installed a previous version, then installed the new version replacing the old version. Keeping syncing using Dropbox, the new version works.

14. 14 Posted by Stuart Beesley ... on 13 Oct, 2021 08:54 AM

@stepmcnul - NO >> the message "WARNING: An illegal reflective access operation has occurred "is nothing to worry about....

15. 15 Posted by Stuart Beesley ... on 13 Oct, 2021 08:55 AM

@stepmcnul and @Mark... You do not need to install Java.. The MD package self-contains Java....

16. 16 Posted by Stuart Beesley ... on 13 Oct, 2021 08:56 AM

@Mark Zeppel.... Can you confirm if you are now using Dropbox on MD2022(4055) or iCloud Sync? Thanks

17. 17 Posted by Stuart Beesley ... on 13 Oct, 2021 09:00 AM

This is the error... I suspect a bug. I have reported it...

Terminating app due to uncaught exception 'NSInvalidArgumentException', reason: 'Invalid domain=nil in -[NSError initWithDomain:code:userInfo:]'

18. 18 Posted by Mark Zeppel on 13 Oct, 2021 09:02 AM

Yes, using Dropbox on MD2022(4055) not iCloud Sync

19. 19 Posted by stepmcnul on 13 Oct, 2021 03:27 PM

Thanks. It was Dropbox but the crashes happened immediately when I switched to iCloud

Regards
    Stephen

20. Support Staff 20 Posted by Sean Reilly on 13 Oct, 2021 10:18 PM

Big Sur shouldn't be a problem since that's what I've been using for development, and there's nothing specific to recent iCloud Drive APIs in use here anyway.

For anyone having this problem, could you go to System Preferences, select the "Apple ID" section, and check the "Apps on this Mac using iCloud" list to see if iCloud Drive is enabled? In addition, if you click the "Options..." button next to iCloud Drive, does the Moneydance entry lin the window that appears have a checked checkbox next to it?

Thanks,
    Sean

--
    Sean Reilly
    Developer, The Infinite Kind
    https://infinitekind.com

21. Support Staff 21 Posted by Sean Reilly on 13 Oct, 2021 10:19 PM

Also, in the Apple ID section of System Preferences, is the "Optimise Mac Storage" checkbox selected?

Thanks,
    Sean

--
    Sean Reilly

22. 22 Posted by voyager on 14 Oct, 2021 03:19 AM

iCloud Drive is enabled
    Moneydance is listed as an app using.
    Optimise Mac Storage is not checked

23. 23 Posted by stepmcnul on 14 Oct, 2021 05:13 AM

same here:
    iCloud Drive is enabled
    Moneydance is listed as an app using.
    Optimise Mac Storage is not checked

But it still keeps crashing on startup. Error log attached

24. 24 Posted by Stuart Beesley ... on 14 Oct, 2021 05:58 AM

@stepmcnul your log is incomplete and does not show any crash... Can you launch Terminal and run this...:

/Applications/Moneydance.app/Contents/MacOS/Moneydance -d

and copy/paste the output back here....

25. 25 Posted by Stuart Beesley ... on 14 Oct, 2021 08:07 AM

Sean, a tests:

If I unset iCloud Drive or unset "Apps on this Mac using iCloud", restart MD, then when selecting iCloud sync I see message:
    ICloudContainer.isContainerAvailable(): nativeGetICloudPath: null message (but there is no java crash..

26. 26 Posted by stepmcnul on 14 Oct, 2021 09:53 AM

Last login: Thu Oct 14 17:50:54 on ttys000

Stephen@Stephens-New-MacBook-Pro ~ % /Applications/Moneydance.app/Contents/MacOS/Moneydance -d

debugging...

MacHelper2: loaded platform helper

loading machelper library

2021-10-14 17:52:38.390 Moneydance[23401:948567] initialising ICloudContainer. Should think of something to do here!

2021-10-14 17:52:38.390 Moneydance[23401:948567]  jcloud: ubiquityToken: {length = 20, bytes = 0x441d31c45343f8de295d0f28ed5a8286772decf8}

2021-10-14 17:52:38.390 Moneydance[23401:948562] time for NSFileManager.URLForUbiquityContainerIdentifier to return: 0.000577 seconds

2021-10-14 17:52:38.391 Moneydance[23401:948562]  jcloud: ubiquity URL: file:///Users/Stephen/Library/Mobile%20Documents/iCloud~com~infinitekind~moneydancesync/

initial iCloud availability: UNKNOWN

iCloud is available (after 00 seconds)

loaded platform-specific helper

Starting Moneydance 2022 (4054) at Thu Oct 14 17:52:38 SGT 2021

Settings Folder: /Users/Stephen/Library/Containers/com.infinitekind.MoneydanceOSX/Data/Library/Application Support/Moneydance

Java: 15.0.1 (AdoptOpenJDK)

Is in sandbox: true; restricted file access: false

Library path: /Applications/Moneydance.app/Contents/MacOS:/Applications/Moneydance.app/Contents/PlugIns/vm.jdk/Contents/Home/lib

initialized extension moneyforesight in 0.293 seconds

trying to verify external module: findandreplace

findandreplace (0): 10-14 17:52:38.813|Initialized build 1211 ok

initialized extension findandreplace in 0.013 seconds

trying to verify external module: moneyPie

initialized extension moneyPie in 0.004 seconds

trying to verify external module: txtimport

initialized extension txtimport in 0.005 seconds

trying to verify external module: yahooqt

loaded font java.awt.Font[family=Dialog,name=SF Pro Display,style=plain,size=13] from descriptor: SF Pro Display-13

loaded font java.awt.Font[family=Gill Sans,name=Gill Sans,style=plain,size=13] from descriptor: Gill Sans-13

loaded font java.awt.Font[family=Helvetica,name=Helvetica,style=plain,size=13] from descriptor: Helvetica-13

loaded font java.awt.Font[family=Dialog,name=Hack,style=plain,size=13] from descriptor: Hack-13

Initializing fonts:

default: [[SF Pro Display, SF Display, Helvetica Neue, Helvetica, Lucida Grande, Dialog]]

printing: [[Helvetica, SF Pro Display, SF Display, Helvetica Neue, Helvetica, Lucida Grande, Dialog]]

monospaced: [[Gill Sans, Menlo, Monaco, Monospaced]]

coding: [[Hack, Monospaced]]

loaded font java.awt.Font[family=Dialog,name=SF Pro Display,style=plain,size=13] from descriptor: SF Pro Display-13

loaded font java.awt.Font[family=Helvetica,name=Helvetica,style=plain,size=12] from descriptor: Helvetica-12

loaded font java.awt.Font[family=Gill Sans,name=Gill Sans,style=plain,size=13] from descriptor: Gill Sans-13

loaded font java.awt.Font[family=Hack,name=Hack,style=plain,size=13] from descriptor: Hack-13

loaded font java.awt.Font[family=Dialog,name=SF Pro Display,style=plain,size=32] from descriptor: SF Pro Display-32

loaded font java.awt.Font[family=Dialog,name=SF Pro Display,style=plain,size=15] from descriptor: SF Pro Display-15

fonts resolved:

default: SF Pro Display:13.0:style0

mono: Gill Sans:13.0:style0

coding: Hack:13.0:style0

print: Helvetica:12.0:style0

header: SF Pro Display:15.0:style0

register: SF Pro Display:12.0:style0

reportTitle: SF Pro Display:32.0:style0

calendarTitle: SF Pro Display:12.0:style0

reportHeader: SF Pro Display:11.0:style0

detailTitle: SF Pro Display:15.0:style0

WARNING: An illegal reflective access operation has occurred

WARNING: Illegal reflective access by com.bulenkov.darcula.DarculaLaf (file:/Applications/Moneydance.app/Contents/Java/darcula.jar) to constructor com.apple.laf.AquaLookAndFeel()

WARNING: Please consider reporting this to the maintainers of com.bulenkov.darcula.DarculaLaf

WARNING: Use --illegal-access=warn to enable warnings of further illegal reflective access operations

WARNING: All illegal access operations will be denied in a future release

detected system appearance: org.violetlib.vappearances.VAppearanceImpl@18271936

Setting look and feel class to org.violetlib.aqua.AquaLookAndFeel

Unable to map image: java.lang.IllegalArgumentException: argument type mismatch

loaded font java.awt.Font[family=Helvetica,name=Helvetica,style=plain,size=12] from descriptor: Helvetica-12

loaded font java.awt.Font[family=Hack,name=Hack,style=plain,size=13] from descriptor: Hack-13

loaded font java.awt.Font[family= (truncated)

27. Support Staff 27 Posted by Sean Reilly on 14 Oct, 2021 04:07 PM

One more question for those seeing this crash: Do you remember if Moneydance is set to re-open the last file upon launch, or does it bring you to the "Welcome to Moneydance" window that shows a list of files and some opening/import options?

Thanks,
    Sean

--
    Sean Reilly

28. 28 Posted by Jeff on 14 Oct, 2021 06:08 PM

I'm experiencing the crash too and yes, MD is set to re-open the last file on launch.

29. 29 Posted by Mark Zeppel on 14 Oct, 2021 07:42 PM

I see the crash and have MD set to re-open the last file upon launch.

30. 30 Posted by stepmcnul on 15 Oct, 2021 01:52 AM

same here, last file upon launch

Reply to this discussion

Internal reply

Formatting help / Preview (switch to plain text) No formatting (switch to Markdown)

Attaching KB article:

»

Already uploaded files

• Untitled.rtf 146 KB

Attached Files

You can attach files up to 10MB

If you don't have an account yet, we need to confirm you're human and not a machine trying to post spam.

Keyboard shortcuts

Generic

? Show this help
ESC Blurs the current field

Comment Form

r Focus the comment reply box
^ + ↩ Submit the comment

You can use Command ⌘ instead of Control ^ on Mac