New Computer

Alexandre

22 Nov, 2021 08:17 PM

Hello, how is everything? I had a problem with my iMac and had to switch computers. I have an iMac with HighSierra, I have the backup of the old computer, but I can't open the MoneyDance infos (over 10 years) from there. How can I do it, since I don't know where the information was saved, as it was automatic?

Thanks

1. 1 Posted by sth on 23 Nov, 2021 12:37 AM

Usually the data files are in ~/Library/Containers hierarchy.

Library/Containers/com.infinitekind.MoneydanceOSX/Data/Documents
    Press the option key and use the "Go" menu in the finder to access the Library folder.
    Or open a finder window, press Shift-Option-G and paste in this path
    ~/Library/Containers/com.infinitekind.MoneydanceOSX/Data/Documents

There may be backup files as well at the default address, or somewhere else if you set it in the preferences. "~/Library/Containers/com.infinitekind.MoneydanceOSX/Data/Library/Application Support/Moneydance/Archive"

(NOT IK Support)

2. 2 Posted by davet65 on 23 Nov, 2021 02:11 AM

This is a different "new computer" topic, but it certainly fits the Discussion Title.

I am about to transition from an 11-year old iMac running OS 10.13.6 and MD 2022.3 4061. Is there anything special I should do to successfully - and trouble-free - migrate Moneydance to an M1 Mac Mini? I plan to migrate computer to computer, but could use Time Machine or Super Duper bootable. And though I probably should do a clean install, I prefer to clean up the old machine as best I can and then just migrate, so I don't lose all my settings and history.

3. 3 Posted by sth on 23 Nov, 2021 04:27 AM

@davet65, this is sort of a thread hijack as you acknowledge. You are asking a separate question and should start a new thread and not interfere with Alexandre getting help/

That being said, if you use the Apple migration tools you should have your old data files moved to the new computer along with the MD application. I believe MD runs fine on the M1 using Java and Rosetta 2 to run the java engine under "emulation" mode. At some time in the future Java will be available for the ARM processors and MD will then run natively.

4. Support Staff 4 Posted by Maddy on 23 Nov, 2021 01:32 PM

Hi Alexandre ,

We are sorry to hear about the problem you have encountered.

Which version and build of Moneydance are you using on the current computer and which were you using on the previous machine?
    To check, open Moneydance and select Moneydance --> About Moneydance where the version and build number will be displayed.
    Did you move your data over following the steps outlined here?

Generally, if your data file is in the format FileName.moneydance, it can be opened choosing ‘Open Other’ from the Welcome window.
    If it is a backup file (.moneydancearchive) it can be opened either using File —> Restore from Backup or ‘Import New Account Set’ from the Welcome window.

I hope this information is helpful. Please let us know if you have further questions or need more assistance.

--
    Maddy, Infinite Kind Support

5. 5 Posted by davet65 on 23 Nov, 2021 02:24 PM

Sorry for the sort-of hijack; I'll be more careful. But thanks for the information.

6. System closed this discussion on 22 Feb, 2022 02:30 PM.

Comments are currently closed for this discussion. You can start a new one.

Keyboard shortcuts

Generic

? Show this help
ESC Blurs the current field

Comment Form

r Focus the comment reply box
^ + ↩ Submit the comment

You can use Command ⌘ instead of Control ^ on Mac