Incorrect Back Up

graham kerr

24 Nov, 2021 03:53 PM

I have been updating my accounts in Moneydance regularly this month - having opened up to do my next update I seem to have lost everything since August this year - how is this possible? Can you help me restore my data to my last update (last week!)?

1. Support Staff 1 Posted by Maddy on 24 Nov, 2021 04:37 PM

Hi Graham ,

We are sorry to hear about the problem you have encountered.

Firstly, please ensure that your register is sorted by date as outlined here.

Secondly, if you have opened an older file in error, to find your previous data file, open Moneydance and click on File > Open, you will see a list of all recently opened data files.

If you cannot find your data file there, then click on Help > Show Document Folder, this will open your default data file location, where all of the data files are located.

Another option is to click on Help > Show Archive Folder, this will open the default backup file location and you can choose to restore a backup.

I hope this information is helpful. Please let us know if you have further questions or need more assistance.

--
    Maddy, Infinite Kind Support

2. 2 Posted by Graham Kerr on 24 Nov, 2021 05:22 PM

Dear Maddy

Many thanks for your prompt response; I have found the right link in File-Open … however I can ensure that this file opens as my default in future? I could not find it in either Help – Show Back Up or Help – Show Document Folder; this was when I searched there prior to contacting you. Interestingly I am not seeing ‘Show Archive’ when looking in Help. I may need further advice on ensuring that my Moneydance data is being stored in the correct place. At the moment I have a file in My Documents on my C Drive; my backups and archives seem to be on my F Drive. Can we discuss this issue?

Thanks for your assistance

Graham

3. 3 Posted by sth on 24 Nov, 2021 10:26 PM

What version of MD are you using?
    On the File Open page at the bottom is the check box to have MD open the last open file when it restarts.
    Check your preferences as to where the backup files are kept.
    Make your own backup copies occasionally using File -> Export Backup Archive
    (NOT IK Support)

4. Support Staff 4 Posted by Maddy on 25 Nov, 2021 10:43 AM

In addition to sth suggestion, I would like to confirm that you are entitled to a free upgrade to Moneydance 2021.1 (3069) and if you haven't already, I would recommend downloading and installing this version.

Then after launching Moneydance, from the register view, you can navigate to Window->Welcome to Moneydance->When Starting->Re-open Last File.

Finally, you can find the backup file settings, by navigating to Moneydance --> Preferences, then select the 'Backups' tab, as outlined in this article of the Knowledge Base.

From this window, you can amend the backup location, and choose the maximum number of backups to be stored.

--
    Maddy, Infinite Kind Support

5. 5 Posted by Graham Leslie K... on 25 Nov, 2021 10:45 AM

Thanks Maddy for your continued advice and support. I shall be away from my main pc until mid December but will follow through with your instructions post 15 Dec.

Best wishes

Graham

6. System closed this discussion on 24 Feb, 2022 10:50 AM.

Comments are currently closed for this discussion. You can start a new one.

Keyboard shortcuts

Generic

? Show this help
ESC Blurs the current field

Comment Form

r Focus the comment reply box
^ + ↩ Submit the comment

You can use Command ⌘ instead of Control ^ on Mac