Unable to transfer saved files to programme after new computer installed

Susan Gough

14 Dec, 2021 01:10 PM

I have used your programme for a few years now. I have purchased a new computer with Windows 11 I am unable to transfer my saved files to your programme. Another problem , Ive no idea what happened, but the files have disappeared from my flash drive. I have a copy of them on the desktop but still cannot transfer to the moneydance programme.
I am totally at a loss as to what to do now. Please help or give advice a s a.p please please.

1. 1 Posted by Susan Gough on 14 Dec, 2021 01:11 PM

PS. I have an account with yourselves and Licence Key.

2. Support Staff 2 Posted by Maddy on 14 Dec, 2021 01:26 PM

Hi Susan,

We are sorry to hear about the problem you have encountered.

Firstly, in order to safely move your data from a computer to another you should follow the steps outlined here.

Also, which version of Moneydance did you install on your new computer?
    According to our records you own a license key suitable for registering Moneydance 2017 and Moneydance 2020.
    If you haven't already you could download and install Moneydance 2020.2 (1929).

I hope this information is helpful. Please let us know if you have further questions or need more assistance.

--
    Maddy, Infinite Kind Support

3. 3 Posted by castlegough on 14 Dec, 2021 01:37 PM

Hi Maddy

Thank you for your response.

I have decided to purchase the new version which has cost me £23.08 as I already had a licence.

I will let you know how I get on.

I have saved the instructions you sent.

Regards

Sue

4. Support Staff 4 Posted by Maddy on 14 Dec, 2021 01:44 PM

Thank you for your purchase, Sue!

That's great! Please keep us posted on your progress, Thank you!

--

5. 5 Posted by castlegough on 14 Dec, 2021 04:56 PM

Hi Maddy

I am totally unable to transfer my backup files to the Moneydance Programme. Unless you are able

To tell me where I’m going wrong, its looking as though I am going to be forced to enter everything

Again for about the last 10 years.

One very unhappy customer

Sue

6. Support Staff 6 Posted by Maddy on 14 Dec, 2021 05:20 PM

Don't worry Sue, let's try again!

In the older computer you should search for a .moneydance file (your data file format) or a FileName.Date.Moneydancearchive (your backup file format) and copy it to your flash drive.

In the new computer you should download and install Moneydance 2022.3 (4063).

Copy the file (.moneydance) from the flash drive to the default location:
    C:\Users<username>.moneydance\Documents
    Finally, the new version should detect it automatically. If not, choose Open other from the Welcome to Moneydance window.

Alternatively, if you are going to restore from a backup, you can copy the FileName.Date.Moneydancearchive in a location of your choice.

Then choose Import New Account Set from the Welcome window and navigate to and select the backup file.

Please let us know how you get on or if you need further assistance.
    Thank you

--

7. 7 Posted by castlegough on 15 Dec, 2021 12:43 PM

Hi Maddy

Thanks for your email and instructions.

I am totally at a loss as to why I am unable to transfer my files to the new Moneydance programme.

I haven’t had a problem before with this and have tried your suggestions, plus all sorts of alternative ways but

Nothing works.

I am just about at the end of my tether.

Sue

8. Support Staff 8 Posted by Maddy on 15 Dec, 2021 01:03 PM

Could describe the steps you have followed to move your data, please?

1) Which version and build of Moneydance are you using on both the new and the old computer?
    To check, open Moneydance and select Help --> About Moneydance (or Moneydance --> About Moneydance on a Mac) .

2) Can you let me know which operating system you're running on your computers?

3) What is the name of the file you have copied on your flash drive?

To clarify your data and the actual software are two separate entities, is it possible that you have copied the installer for the software rather than the data set?

Could send us a screenshot of what you're seeing in your new system?
    You can read instructions for taking a screenshot here:
    https://www.take-a-screenshot.org/

Thank you

--

9. 9 Posted by castlegough on 15 Dec, 2021 03:05 PM

Hi Maddy

I have a new Computer, the old one has gone.

I now have the latest version of Moneydance which I purchased yesterday.

Version 2021-12-14

The name of the file is

C:\Users>Ron Gough>.moneydance/Documents

I don’t have the installer as far as I know

As this is a desktop computer I couldn’t screen shot but managed a photo

Thanks

Sue

10. Support Staff 10 Posted by Maddy on 15 Dec, 2021 03:12 PM

To find your previous data file, open Moneydance and click on File > Open, you will see a list of all recently opened data files.

If you cannot find your data file there, then click on Help > Show Document Folder, this will open your default data file location, where all of the data files are located.

Another option is to click on Help > Show Archive Folder, this will open the default backup file location and you can choose to restore a backup.

--

11. 11 Posted by castlegough on 17 Dec, 2021 08:04 AM

Hi Maddy.Firstly thanks for all your help with my problem.Good news. I suddenly remembered an older back up system I used to use a couple of years ago .  I decided to try it and it worked.  So instead of having to re enter around 7 years of transactions,  I now only have to enter around 2. Thanks again Sue xSent from my Galaxy
    -------- Original message --------From: Maddy <[email blocked]> Date: 14/12/2021 17:23 (GMT+00:00) To: [email blocked] Subject: Re: Unable to transfer saved files to programme after new computer installed [Problems #75732]

12. System closed this discussion on 18 Mar, 2022 08:10 AM.

Comments are currently closed for this discussion. You can start a new one.

Keyboard shortcuts

Generic

? Show this help
ESC Blurs the current field

Comment Form

r Focus the comment reply box
^ + ↩ Submit the comment

You can use Command ⌘ instead of Control ^ on Mac