Can't open moneydance files on new MacBook Pro

Vance

20 Dec, 2021 05:48 AM

I've used MoneyDance for many years. I bought a new MacBook Pro 14 and want to use MoneyDance on it also. I use 3 different computers and store my MoneyDance files on Google Drive. I don't use the mobile version of MoneyDance. But on these 3 other desktop computers I have successfully sync'd with Google Drive for a few years. I use the 2022 (4060) version of MD. I installed MD on the new computer. I select Open Other to open my files on Google Drive which syncs to my new hard drive. But the files are faded (grayed out) and I can't select them. I've tried everything I can think of and they are not selectable to open. Please help. Thanks

1. 1 Posted by Stuart Beesley ... on 20 Dec, 2021 06:34 AM

I would strongly advise you do NOT store your data set on a cloud service (e.g. google drive). At some point it will corrupt. You should store your dataset locally and then use MD sync to point sync data to a common shared sync folder on google drive. Each extra MD should use file / new / open sync copy, and pick up this sync data.

Assuming you ignore the above warning…. Try finding the dataset in Finder and then right click, open with, Moneydance. Then it will remember this file and open automatically.

2. 2 Posted by Vance Cook on 20 Dec, 2021 04:52 PM

Thank you very much for the reply, Stuart. When you say it will corrupt at some point, do you mean the file will be scrambled and broken and unreadable or do you mean that I’ll eventually make a synchronization mistake and lose my data?

Regardless, I will probably follow your MD sync advice. Just need to know how urgent to prioritize it.

Vance

3. 3 Posted by Stuart Beesley ... on 20 Dec, 2021 05:41 PM

Did you get your file open now?

Your MD dataset is not one file... It's a 'Package' which is actually a hidden folder containing possibly 1000s or 10,000s of files. The way that cloud sync works is that it might decide not to download some files to your computer.. At this point, god knows what will happen. As for what type of corruption, who knows... Random.. You have been lucky, some are always lucky, some are not...

Up to you... When you get a free few hours and a cool head, then I would do the change....

4. 4 Posted by Vance Cook on 21 Dec, 2021 05:34 AM

Thanks Stuart,

I’m persuaded to use the suggested Sync feature, but I’d like to get this working now to buy me a few days. I tried the Right-Click Open With idea and I get this error…

Vance

5. 5 Posted by Stuart Beesley ... on 21 Dec, 2021 06:17 AM

Can you find and post this file:

/Users/XXXXXXXX/Library/Containers/com.infinitekind.MoneydanceOSX/Data/Library/Application Support/Moneydance/errlog.txt

6. 6 Posted by Vance Cook on 22 Dec, 2021 04:37 AM

I don’t seem to have the com.infinitekind.moneydanceOSX folder. See below the Containers folder.

Thanks again for your help.

[Graphical user interface, text, application, email Description automatically generated]

7. 7 Posted by dwg on 22 Dec, 2021 04:47 AM

see if the error log is at:

~/Library/Containers/Moneydance/Data/Library/Application Support/Moneydance/errlog.txt

8. 8 Posted by Vance Cook on 22 Dec, 2021 05:03 AM

Yes, it was there. Here you go…

9. 9 Posted by Stuart Beesley ... on 22 Dec, 2021 05:55 AM

This file would appear to be corrupt:
    tiksync/processed.dct

Did you say you have any other MD computers reading the same dataset OK?

Do you have a backup?

10. 10 Posted by Vance Cook on 22 Dec, 2021 06:45 AM

Yes and yes.

11. 11 Posted by Stuart Beesley ... on 22 Dec, 2021 06:51 AM

I fear you have hit the 'don't store your data on a cloud service' problem.

I would do the following go to one of your known good computers and in MD do a file/export backup.... Save this xxx.moneydancearchive file somewhere safe.

Install dropbox client on all computers and make sure all are logged into it and syncing OK.

Decide which computer is going to be your master/primary dataset.. On this computer, do File/Restore from backup and select the backup you just created. This will put the dataset in an internal, safe, non-cloud location.

Now do file/syncing/dropbox FOLDERS, select a good password (remember this)... wait for a few minutes for sync to complete. Restart this MD.

Now on the next computer, launch MD, file / NEW / Open Sync'd copy. Select dropbox folders, and select the dataset name you just sync'd. Wait for a few minutes, restart MD. confirm it all looks good.

Repeat on the next one and so on...

?

12. 12 Posted by Vance Cook on 23 Dec, 2021 11:42 PM

OK, I’ll go through this process. I think the data is fine. It’s just not working on this new computer. I’ll setup the syncing process you guys recommend.

BUT you guys should fix your bugs that make cloud services not work. Blaming this on your customers is a cop-out. There is no fundamental reason it shouldn’t work reliably. And I loathe DropBox. I’ve had so many problems with it that I banned it from my life and my businesses. I really hate going back to it.

Thanks,

Vance

13. 13 Posted by dwg on 24 Dec, 2021 01:23 AM

I'm a fellow user.

You don't like Dropbox fine, as you are not using a mobile device you can use the shared folder method with an iCloud share.

It is not a bug. Moneydance writes data in a way that facilitates syncing using the internal syncing engine. This facilitates multi user simultaneous access to the data. The file manipulation that services like iCloud uses like for example moving the files to a shared location but seemingly making them appear local is not compatible with how Moneydance syncing works.

14. 14 Posted by Vance Cook on 24 Dec, 2021 02:02 AM

I owe you an apology then. But it is a bug or a design flaw. There is nothing about how it works that should result in corrupt files.

So I should use a shared folder then? Just a standard shared folder supported through Mac OS?

15. 15 Posted by dwg on 24 Dec, 2021 03:09 AM

A standard shared folder is fine. I've used shared folders on both Windows and Linux.

FWIW Dropbox folder is just a specific instance of a shared folder, it is Dropbox Connection that uses an API.

We have seen some very strange things over the years when the data has been stored on Dropbox. These services can and do copy files around so we have seen things like deleted transactions reappearing.

16. System closed this discussion on 25 Mar, 2022 03:10 AM.

Comments are currently closed for this discussion. You can start a new one.

Keyboard shortcuts

Generic

? Show this help
ESC Blurs the current field

Comment Form

r Focus the comment reply box
^ + ↩ Submit the comment

You can use Command ⌘ instead of Control ^ on Mac