Don't Have Permission to Access MD

Robert

21 Dec, 2021 03:08 PM

Recently updated to Big Sur 11.6.2. I already had Big Sur, I only updated to the most recent version. Since doing that I can't open numerous apps. One by one, to fix this, I have been uninstalling and reinstalling apps. However, I'm leary about uninstalling Money Dance because I'm afraid I will somehow not be able to get back the years of data I have entered into it. What should I do? Seems like there should be a backup file on my comp somewhere. (I also have a cloud back up and a backup to an external hard drive. However, the external HD backup is about two months behind.)

If I uninstall and reinstall, will it prompt me to identify and select the backup data file for import. Is there an easy way to ID this file. It's not obvious to me which one it is.

Any other suggestions?

1. 1 Posted by Robert on 21 Dec, 2021 03:13 PM

Forgot to mention that when I try to open MD I get the following message: "You do not have permission to open the app Money Dance."

2. 2 Posted by jeff_l on 21 Dec, 2021 03:29 PM

Normally when apps can’t be run & need permission to load, as a first step, the user can do this by going to Finder-> Applications then right clicking the app in question & selecting open. There will then be a confirmation screen to click before the app runs. Maybe you’ve already tried that?

Moneydance data file is NOT stored with the app, so will still be where you left it, there is no need to panic!

Fellow user

3. 3 Posted by Robert on 21 Dec, 2021 04:41 PM

Thanks. Yes I’ve tried that. I feel like if I could find the back up file in finder I could fix the problem, but it’s not obvious which file it is. I’ve done a lot of looking and I’m starting to think I don’t have it on my computer. Maybe my cloud backup service could provide it, but was hoping I wouldn't have to go thru all that.

4. 4 Posted by Stuart Beesley ... on 21 Dec, 2021 05:39 PM

Your backups are called *.moneydancearchive and your datasets are called *.moneydance

5. 5 Posted by Robert on 21 Dec, 2021 05:58 PM

Thanks for the info. I searched using your information and found it. Unfortunately, when I tried to open it I got the same message mentioned above, "You do not have permission to open Money Dance." That is the reason I'm uninstalling and reinstalling almost all of my apps. That's the only way I know to get them accessible again. What an ordeal, and all happened after simply updating from OS 11.6.1 to 11.6.2. And Apple won't help me get third party apps accessible again.

6. 6 Posted by Stuart Beesley ... on 21 Dec, 2021 06:20 PM

Settings, Security & Privacy. Select App Store and identified developers.

Then right-click the application and select open.

7. 7 Posted by Robert on 21 Dec, 2021 06:31 PM

Thanks for your effort Stewart. I checked, and I already have it set up like that in Security and Privacy.

8. 8 Posted by Stuart Beesley ... on 21 Dec, 2021 06:41 PM

Try this:

Launch terminal

sudo xattr -rd com.apple.quarantine /Applications/Moneydance.app

9. 9 Posted by Stuart Beesley ... on 21 Dec, 2021 07:48 PM

PS. If you do this first, it will tell you what extended attributes are attached to the file(s):

sudo xattr -r /Applications/Moneydance.app

a flag of 'com.apple.quarantine' is gatekeeper quarantine

the -r means recurse through all files and folders within the Moneydance.app file (package)..

the 'd' means delete the quarantine flag...

10. System closed this discussion on 22 Mar, 2022 07:50 PM.

Comments are currently closed for this discussion. You can start a new one.

Keyboard shortcuts

Generic

? Show this help
ESC Blurs the current field

Comment Form

r Focus the comment reply box
^ + ↩ Submit the comment

You can use Command ⌘ instead of Control ^ on Mac