Confusing behavior for downloaded transactions

Michael Schechter

02 Jan, 2022 08:21 PM

I am using Moneydance 2022.2 on Fedora 35. I am seeing non-deterministic behavior for downloaded transactions.

Sometimes the downloaded transactions act as they have in previous versions, showing up as "duplicate" entries in the register with the solid blue dot. When I click on the downloaded transaction, the right-hand pane pops up, and I can merge it with the appropriate register transaction. The resulting transaction has the blue circle. This is my expectation of behavior for all downloaded transactions based on several years of experience with Moneydance.

Sometimes the transaction will download and pseudo-merge - there will only be one entry in the register, it will have the blue dot, and I will be able to merge or confirm via the right-hand pane. If I choose "Confirm" (for which the mouseover text refers to reverting the transaction to the downloaded state), sometimes it will split the transaction back into two register entries (my original hand-entered one and the downloaded one), and I can merge as above. Sometimes it will just confirm the transaction, and there will be no blue dot or circle. I think this is related to whether or not there is a potential merge target, but I cannot experiment on this without creating significant tracking issues in my accounts. The only hint I have is if the hand-entered transaction has splits; if I see a downloaded transaction with splits, I know what to do.

The latter scenario (no dot or circle after "Confirm") also appears for transactions that I have downloaded that do not yet have a corresponding entry in the register. The mouseover text still indicates the "Confirm" button will revert, but it does not; the transaction is added to the register without a blue circle or dot.

This overall behavior is very confusing and counter-intuitive:
- The function of the "Confirm" button should not be overloaded; I should not have to guess what it will do - Downloaded transactions should behave deterministically (always do the same thing) - Downloaded transactions should not lose the indicator (blue dot or circle)

Could you please let me know how I can disable this behavior? This is the first change made since I first purchased Moneydance (over 10 years) that has me reluctant to use your product.

1. System closed this discussion on 03 Apr, 2022 08:30 PM.

Comments are currently closed for this discussion. You can start a new one.

Keyboard shortcuts

Generic

? Show this help
ESC Blurs the current field

Comment Form

r Focus the comment reply box
^ + ↩ Submit the comment

You can use Command ⌘ instead of Control ^ on Mac