Printing checks upside down

Huston Keith

04 Jan, 2022 06:19 PM

Since upgrading to the newest version, checks are printed so I have two insert the paper from the bottom, not the top. All my settings are off. How can I correct it?

1. Support Staff 1 Posted by Maddy on 05 Jan, 2022 12:03 PM

Hi,
    Thank you for contacting Moneydance support.

Which version and build of Moneydance are you using?
    To check, open Moneydance and select Moneydance --> About Moneydance
    e.g Moneydance 2022.2 (4060) or Moneydance 2022.3 (4063)

Can you let me know which operating system you're running on your computer/s?

Would it be possible to see a screenshot of you Check Printing settings (from Preferences)?
    You can read instructions for taking a screenshot here:
    https://www.take-a-screenshot.org/

Finally, you could check your printing settings for an option that inverts page order, in your printer itself, as well.

Thank you

--
    Maddy, Infinite Kind Support

2. 2 Posted by Huston Keith on 05 Jan, 2022 05:39 PM

I am running 2022.2 (4060) on MacBook Pro Big Sur 11.6. I just upgraded Moneydance. I’m printing on Epson WF-3640. I looked for page inversion on Setup but did not find. The test page was printed inverted.

3. Support Staff 3 Posted by Maddy on 06 Jan, 2022 09:45 AM

Firstly, for an optimal performance your operating system - Big Sur requires the latest preview version Moneydance 2022.3 (4063). This is available to download from this page.

Secondly, I believe there is a setting within your Epson printer set to printing as a mirror image. This might be causing your printed image to be inverted. You could try these solutions:

I hope this information is helpful. Please let us know if you have further questions or need more assistance.

--

4. 4 Posted by Huston Keith on 07 Jan, 2022 10:01 PM

Maddy,

Thanks for your prompt suggestions, all of which I checked. Unfortunately, I have not been able to solve the problem. In the Mac OS print dialog, the mirror image and reverse page orientation were unchecked, so I checked both one at a time. It did not correct it. There are no such options in my printer setup, and they are not discussed in the manual.

Unless I can figure out the bug, I will have to change the print layout settings, which is pretty tedious, and may not work for printing one or two checks on the page.

Huston Keith
    770/579-5979

5. Support Staff 5 Posted by Maddy on 10 Jan, 2022 09:48 AM

Could you send us the contents of your error console?  Here's how to get the logs:

1)  In Moneydance, click on the Help menu and select the Console Window option.  This will open the console messages window.
    2) While the Console Window is open, attempt to print a check to e.g PDF or similar.  Any error messages should be recorded to the Console.
    3) Select all of the text in the Console and use the "Copy to Clipboard" button at the bottom to copy the text.
    4) Paste the text from the message window into a text file (preferably saved with a .txt extension) and attach that file to your response here.

Thank you

--

6. 6 Posted by Huston Keith on 11 Mar, 2022 08:35 PM

Attached is text log and PDF of check

7. Support Staff 7 Posted by Maddy on 14 Mar, 2022 10:09 AM

Thank you for the additional information.

Can you try resetting your Moneydance preferences and see if that fixes the issue that you're seeing? To do this, you have to rename your config.dict file.

Please take note of your license key and save it, separately as you will need to re-register later.

As you're using Mac OS X, the file should be located at one of these locations within your Home folder:

~/Library/Containers/com.infinitekind.MoneydanceOSX/Data/Library/Application Support/Moneydance/config.dict

or:

~/Library/Application Support/Moneydance/config.dict

If you have any trouble finding your Home Library folder, open Finder and select Go --> Go to Folder --> and copy and paste in exactly the following:

~/Library

This will pull up your local Library folder, and you can navigate to the locations above.

Once you've found your config.dict file, close Moneydance, ensure it's closed fully. Then rename the file to config2.dict

Once you've done this, open Moneydance again. It will appear as though you've just installed the program for the first time, so you'll see the Welcome window.
    Your data file should be listed on the right of the window. If not, choose 'Open Other' and navigate to your data file.
    When you're viewing your data file, choose Help --> Register Moneydance and input your license key.

If you run into any problems, you can simply close Moneydance and rename the original file back to config.dict. Then open Moneydance again to restore your original settings.

Finally, set your printer as "default" and try printing again.

Please keep us posted on your progress, Thank you!

--

8. 8 Posted by Huston Keith on 14 Mar, 2022 06:07 PM

Thanks very much for your response. I could not find the locations you described, but I found config.dict in two places:

McIntosh HD/Users/Huston/Library/Containers/Moneydance/Data/Library/Application Support/Moneydance/config.dict

iCloud Drive/Financial/Moneydance/config.dict

Which do I use? Is Moneydance installed correctly?

Also I printed the PDF I sent you and checked "Reverse page orientation" and it printed correctly on check stock.

Huston

9. Support Staff 9 Posted by Maddy on 15 Mar, 2022 10:12 AM

This is the correct location:
    McIntosh HD/Users/Huston/Library/Containers/Moneydance/Data/Library/Application Support/Moneydance/config.dict

However it seems that choosing "Reverse page orientation" has resolved the issue, is that correct?

--

10. 10 Posted by Huston on 26 Mar, 2022 07:53 PM

I just tried renaming config.dict and re-opened. It opened normally without asking for the key. And it still printed upside down, even when I checked "reverse page orientation". So that does not solve the problem, but it provided a workaround. I checked, saved as pdf, then printed normally.

Thanks

Reply to this discussion

Internal reply

Formatting help / Preview (switch to plain text) No formatting (switch to Markdown)

Attaching KB article:

»

Attached Files

You can attach files up to 10MB

If you don't have an account yet, we need to confirm you're human and not a machine trying to post spam.

Keyboard shortcuts

Generic

? Show this help
ESC Blurs the current field

Comment Form

r Focus the comment reply box
^ + ↩ Submit the comment

You can use Command ⌘ instead of Control ^ on Mac