Importing OFX files in chromebook

Karen

07 Jan, 2022 01:25 AM

Hello- I have loaded moneydance onto my chromebook and have successfully been making progress with this tool, however whenever I attempt to import an OFX file I am sent to a page that has nothing that looks at all like the file I want to import and I cannot figure out how to access the download. This may be due to the Linux platform that moneydance relies on for chromebook. Any suggestions? Thanks for the help!

1. 1 Posted by dwg on 07 Jan, 2022 01:57 AM

I'm a fellow user.

How are you trying to import the file, in other words what steps are you taking.

2. 2 Posted by Karen Russo on 07 Jan, 2022 02:45 AM

I am downloading an OFX file from my bank’s site. This file shows up in the downloads section of my chromebook’s File folder.
    Then I am going within the Moneydance program to the “file” drop down menu and selecting “import”… which takes me to a window that offers several options (moneydance, as well as “other locations”)— none of which seem to have my downloaded OFX file.
    I’m clearly missing a step.

3. 3 Posted by dwg on 07 Jan, 2022 04:35 AM

I could be wrong but I have a vague recollection that the Linux subsystem on a chromebook is in a container, hence I am wondering if you need to move the file to inside the container.

4. 4 Posted by Karen Russo on 07 Jan, 2022 05:17 AM

Thank you— I will try to figure out what that might look like and see if I can drag and drop the downloaded file into the correct location.
    Too bad I’m not more familiar with how Linux is set up Again, thanks!

5. 5 Posted by dwg on 07 Jan, 2022 05:40 AM

Linux itself is not too hard, it's setup under Chrome is where the complication comes in.

6. 6 Posted by Karen on 07 Jan, 2022 06:41 PM

I’m wondering if someone from MD support could weigh in on this issue.
    When I go to the file drop down menu and select import on my chromebook, I am taken to a window with subcategories including “recent”, “Home”, “desktop”, “moneydance”, and “+other locations.”
    I’m guessing I will need to drag my OFX downloads out of the chromebook’s download location, but the question is WHERE? And then how do I locate the file for importing.
    I cannot be the only person who needs to do this. Thanks for your help.

7. 7 Posted by Stuart Beesley ... on 07 Jan, 2022 06:42 PM

What happens if you find the file in Chrome (outside of MD) and double-click it?

8. 8 Posted by Karen Russo on 07 Jan, 2022 06:54 PM

Hooray!!
    I think I found the answer.
    If after I download the OFX file, I go to the download section of my chromebook “my files” in the file folder and drag it to the “Linux files”…. THEN it shows up as an importable option.
    I don’t know if this is super obvious (probably), or if one more line of instruction is needed in the articles about importing financial docs into different platforms.
    In any case, thank you both for your suggestions and feedback as I engage in all the pre-work involved in doing the actual work of tracking our expenses.
    Whew!

9. Support Staff 9 Posted by Ethan on 09 Jan, 2022 05:00 PM

Thanks for reporting back with this great information! I've created a section on our Installing on ChromeOS page about what you describe, so hopefully other users will be able to benefit from what you sorted out. I added some language about how this may look differently depending on which version of ChromeOS one is using based on additional web searches, but please let me know if the language could be clearer.

Ethan
    Infinite Kind Support

10. System closed this discussion on 10 Apr, 2022 05:10 PM.

Comments are currently closed for this discussion. You can start a new one.

Keyboard shortcuts

Generic

? Show this help
ESC Blurs the current field

Comment Form

r Focus the comment reply box
^ + ↩ Submit the comment

You can use Command ⌘ instead of Control ^ on Mac