Duplicated international currency issue - Moneydance

blitheo

25 May, 2022 12:40 PM

My base currency is the Euro. I also maintain accounts in British pounds.

My problem is that on the Summary Page under 'Exchange Rates,' there are two entries - British Pound and GB Pound. And on my Categories list, some categories show the currency type as GBP and some as GB Pound. I would like to use just one British pound category. Is it possible to consolidate to one of these currency types? Which one should I use?

Also, for many of the categories (but not all) I am not able to change the currency type in the box that appears on the pop up showing the details for each category. Can this be fixed?

Hoping someone can help,
Nick

1. Support Staff 1 Posted by Maddy on 25 May, 2022 01:12 PM

Hi Nick,

We are sorry to hear about the problem you have encountered.

Firstly, in order to verify which accounts have which currency, navigate to Tools->Accounts, as well as Tools->Categories from the menu.

You should have only one GBP, British Pound, £ under Tools->Curencies.

Then, you should navigate to "Extensions->Manage Extensions" and install the "Toolbox".

• Launch "Toolbox", navigate to Toolbox Options (on top left corner) and select -

Update Mode->Yes->Do Back Up Now

• Navigate to Menu: Currency & Security Tool In the resulting window, under "Update Functions" you should select:

"Fix: Force Change An Account Currency (force_change_account_currency.py)". (second last down option)

Finally "Proceed" to select the relevant account.

Restart Moneydance.

--
    Maddy, Infinite Kind Support

2. 2 Posted by blitheo on 25 May, 2022 01:47 PM

Hi Maddy,

Thanks for your swift response.

Going to Tools->Accounts, some of my accounts show GBPound as the currency and some show GBP.

Do you mean by ‘in order to verify which accounts have which currency’, you want me to list these?
    Here they are:
    GBP: 14 Banks, 1 Credit card, 2 Assets, 16 Liabilities
    GB Pound: 0 Banks, 3 Credit cards, 3 Assets, 0 Liabilities

Going to Tools-> Currencies, I have three entries for British Pounds:

- British Pound €1.16
    Last updated 01.10.2022 (curious date…)

- GB Pound. €1.16
    Last updated 28.09.2022

- GB Pound €1
    Last updated 01.02.2022

Are you suggesting that I should chose one of the above currencies and delete the other two? Is this safe? I am worried that this might delete transaction in the currencies I choose to delete. Can you confirm if this okay to do?

I feel I need answers from you before I go ahead and delete anything and launch Toolbox.

Best wishes,
    Nick

3. Support Staff 3 Posted by Maddy on 25 May, 2022 03:21 PM

Firstly, we would recommend upgrading to the latest preview version.
    Moneydance 2022.4 (4080) is now available to download from this page.

Then, you should launch Moneydance and navigate to Extensions->Manage Extensions and update the Quote and Exchange Rate Updater to version 1032.

We would recommend creating a backup before proceeding (and save it to e.g.your desktop), then follow the steps in post 1.
    The objective is to change the two incorrect currencies to the one which is correct, you shouldn't delete anything (yet).

--

4. 4 Posted by blitheo on 25 May, 2022 04:01 PM

Hi Maddy,

I have updated to Moneydance 2022.4 (4080) as recommended.

I also navigated to Extensions->Manage Extensions and clicked on the update button. There was no indication that anything happened and the screen shows strangely out of date information.

Here is a picture of the settings box, after I supposedly updated - this can’t be right, can it?

Regarding the steps in Post 1, you did not address any of my comments/questions in my reply to your email. Yes, I realise 'the objective is to change the two incorrect currencies to the one which is correct’, but which is the correct one?! I need to know this surely before can change anything.

Best wishes,
    Nick

5. Support Staff 5 Posted by Maddy on 27 May, 2022 02:36 PM

Firstly, please accept my sincere apologies for the delay in responding to your query.

In post 1 of this thread I've mentioned:

You should have only one GBP, British Pound, £ under Tools->Curencies.

It seems - British Pound €1.16 is the correct one
    However, the" last updated" dates shown aren't current
    This is why I suggested updating the Quote and Exchange Rate Updater to version 1032.

If you have not tried the Toolbox fix to change the "unwanted" currency to British Pound yet, please send us your Moneydance error logs? We will double check the information in your logs to ensure there aren't any more issues involved.

They are saved on your computer as an errlog.txt file.

You can get to your error logs as follow:

1) navigate to Help->Console Window to show the console log in a window

or

2) in the Finder, press ⌘⇧G and then copy and paste ~/Library/Containers/com.infinitekind.MoneydanceOSX/Data/Library/Application Support into the field and press enter/return.

At that point the finder will show an internal folder which contains the errlog.txt file which contains the log.

Finally you can paste the full content to your next reply.
    To add an attachment to this thread, please click on the "Browse" button.

Thank you

--

6. 6 Posted by blitheo on 27 May, 2022 03:04 PM

Hi Maddy,

Thanks for your reply.

I have moved no further forward, so am sending you my error logs as requested. I hope you can work out and fix the problems I have already outlined before.

Logs attached.

Best wishes,
    Nick

7. 7 Posted by Stuart Beesley ... on 27 May, 2022 03:05 PM

In simple terms:
    - supply the help/console log to check for errors

• backup first (file/export backup)

• run toolbox, currency tools, Can I delete a Currency, to see where used

• go to tools/currencies and edit all the GBPs. Set name to GBP KEEP ME on one and then GBP DELETE ME on the others.

• go to tools/securities. Edit each and change to GBP KEEP ME where using GBP. Do one and check the value of your investment is still ok. If ok, do the rest.

• now toolbox, and use the force change currency option on accounts/categories. Do one first and confirm it’s ok. Then continue.

• rerun toolbox. Can I delete a currency. Check the DELETE MEs are clear.

• check all your data and reports.

• delete the DELETEMEs.

(Not support, just a fellow user)

8. 8 Posted by Stuart Beesley ... on 27 May, 2022 03:07 PM

Ps. You have Dropbox sync errors. I would switch to Dropbox folders. But I see nothing preventing you proceeding to change the currencies.

9. 9 Posted by Stuart Beesley ... on 27 May, 2022 03:10 PM

Pps. I just edited my post to make the formatting better. Read it online to see updated version.

10. Support Staff 10 Posted by Maddy on 27 May, 2022 03:20 PM

@Nick

Stuart Beesley is the Toolbox developer and his tip of making the "unwanted" currencies more noticeable (easier to remove later) is absolutely spot on.

Please let us know if you encounter any problem during the process or if you require further assistance.

Thank you

--

11. 11 Posted by blitheo on 28 May, 2022 08:41 AM

Thanks Stuart for your input, I will follow your instructions and report back!

Best wishes,
    Nick

12. 12 Posted by blitheo on 28 May, 2022 11:01 AM

Hi Stuart,

I have reached this step in your instructions:
    - now toolbox, and use the force change currency option on accounts/categories. Do one first and confirm it’s ok. Then continue.
    However, I am faced with the yellow box seen in the attached picture. I don't know how to respond to this and if I do need to convert to Primary Mode, where is Update Mode that I would need to select?

Thanks again,
    Nick

13. 13 Posted by Stuart Beesley ... on 28 May, 2022 11:19 AM

It’s not a problem. It implies you are syncing to another computer. Are you? If you are, it doesn’t really matter, it should still work. But pls confirm your syncing is working ok? Of course, make all the changes on one dataset and it should sync to the other. If this is your only computer/dataset then why is syncing on?

Update mode is on the top left options menubar.

14. 14 Posted by blitheo on 28 May, 2022 02:59 PM

Hi Stuart,

Regarding syncing, I was syncing to a Macbook from the iMac that I consider as my primary machine. Curiously, the MD alert suggested that the iMac was secondary for MD purposes. Anyway, I have now cancelled the syncing (given you'd mentioned I had Dropbox errors before) and will resume syncing later, once the currency problem is fixed.

Using the Update tool, so far so good - I have changed the accounts GB Pound DELETE ME to GBP KEEP ME and all is well. However, I have not deleted the two GB Pound DELETE ME currencies as these are associated with numerous Categories (51 to be exact) and I am worried this would affect, maybe delete, these categories. Do you have a solution for this? Incidentally, the Category Type information for each of these is greyed out.

Hoping you can offer further guidance,

Nick

15. 15 Posted by Stuart Beesley ... on 28 May, 2022 04:54 PM

Correct. Do not delete until you have changed the categories.

I thought toolbox allowed you to change categories too but I see it doesn’t

If you give me a day, I’ll add that feature.

Can you wait?

16. 16 Posted by Stuart Beesley ... on 28 May, 2022 05:19 PM

17. 17 Posted by blitheo on 28 May, 2022 07:17 PM

That would be great Stuart, thanks very much! yes, I can certainly wait!

Nick

18. 18 Posted by Stuart Beesley ... on 29 May, 2022 07:44 AM

19. 19 Posted by Stuart Beesley ... on 29 May, 2022 11:39 AM

All, FYI. I have improved Toolbox as follows:

• 'Can I delete a Currency' feature to also show where used on Securities.

• Force change Account's currency and force change all Account's currency to now include categories too.

• Added new feature: FORCE Change Accounts / Categories [& Securities] FROM Currency TO Currency. To allow a single one-shot select the from and to and Toolbox will change all relevant accounts, categories, securities in one go...

PREVIEW has been uploaded to my site.

20. 20 Posted by blitheo on 29 May, 2022 12:01 PM

I'm delighted to report that the new improved MD Toolbox from Stuart has resolved my multiple GBP currency problems.

Thanks for this Stuart and thanks Maddy for coordinating the fix.

All is well!

Nick

21. 21 Posted by Stuart Beesley ... on 30 May, 2022 06:03 AM

A signed version of toolbox (1050) with these changes is now available from Manage Extensions.

22. Support Staff 22 Posted by Maddy on 30 May, 2022 09:50 AM

You are welcome!

I'm very pleased to hear that all is well now, Nick!

I'll close this discussion for now, but do not hesitate to contact us again, if you need further assistance.

--

23. Maddy closed this discussion on 30 May, 2022 09:50 AM.

Comments are currently closed for this discussion. You can start a new one.

Keyboard shortcuts

Generic

? Show this help
ESC Blurs the current field

Comment Form

r Focus the comment reply box
^ + ↩ Submit the comment

You can use Command ⌘ instead of Control ^ on Mac