Upgrading the Windows 64bit version

Ron Vanderveer

14 Aug, 2022 10:07 PM

I am getting the Java runtime error again when trying to open the update executable. I remember this happening before and I thought there was an easy fix (or it didn't work for me and I didn't bother with the upgrade? :-) ).
Here is the first line of the error log file:
java.awt.AWTError: Assistive Technology not found: com.sun.java.accessibility.AccessBridge
I am running Moneydance version 2022.3 4077 on a Windows 11 home 64 bit OS.
Would appreciate any suggestions.

1. 1 Posted by Stuart Beesley ... on 15 Aug, 2022 04:38 AM

2. 2 Posted by Ron Vanderveer on 20 Aug, 2022 02:54 PM

Yes, Stuart, that did help, thank you.

I am running Windows 11 home 64 bit.

It took a bit of detective work to find that dang file because it wasn't in the user folder named for the user I was logging in with (apparently because I had changed the root administrator login a while back) and then Windows 11 home didn't want to open it until I changed its properties to open with Notepad. Sheesh, it's all the little crap that drives you crazy, right?

But once I found it I just hashtagged the two lines, saved it, restarted, and ran the upgraded to Moneydance. Probably wasn't worth the trouble but now I feel better. :-)

#assistive_technologies=com.sun.java.accessibility.AccessBridge
    #screen_magnifier_present=true

So to recap:
    1) search for the file name .accessibility.properties in the C:\Users folder (and do include that first period in the file name)
    2) open it with Notepad or any other text editor. If you can't, then go to the properties of the file itself and where it says Opens With change that to a text editor application.
    3) open the file with the text editor you chose
    4) put the hashtag symbol in front of the lines as shown above with no spaces
    5) save the file with the changes, do not change the name or location
    6) restart the computer to reload Java

Thanks to Stuart and everyone else who posted about this error.

3. 3 Posted by Stuart Beesley ... on 20 Aug, 2022 02:55 PM

👍

Reply to this discussion

Internal reply

Formatting help / Preview (switch to plain text) No formatting (switch to Markdown)

Attaching KB article:

»

Attached Files

You can attach files up to 10MB

If you don't have an account yet, we need to confirm you're human and not a machine trying to post spam.

Keyboard shortcuts

Generic

? Show this help
ESC Blurs the current field

Comment Form

r Focus the comment reply box
^ + ↩ Submit the comment

You can use Command ⌘ instead of Control ^ on Mac