Migrating from AceMoney

dwg

12 Mar, 2020 01:49 AM

Hi,

I recently wanted some simple data to use in some testing so I used AceMoney and its sample data base to provide it. To provide some information on migrating from AceMoney to Moneydance I made the following notes on what I found, I wrote as if I was writing a document on the process.

----

AceMoney provides the capability to export data on an account by account basis only, there is no ability to export everything into one file. We successful exported AceMoney non-investment data using the following procedure and imported the resultant QIF files into Moneydance.

During our testing Moneydance was able to successfully de-duplicate transfers, and initial balance entries were set up correctly in Moneydance (build 1904)

Testing of this functionality was done using the sample file provided along with a some manually entered transactions.

The following procedure was used to export each account. We created a new folder called AceMoney_migration to hold all of the data.

1. Open the register of the account.
2. Select menu item File → Export.
3. Navigate to the directory where you wish to save the exported QIF file to.
By having the account register open AceMoney will set the export file name to match the account name.
4. Change the file type to QIF.
5. Ensure the correct account to export is selected and enter appropriate start and end dates.

Repeat the above procedure for each account.

Investment Accounts

We looked at various exports from Investment accounts. QIF exports were disappointing, the only type of transaction that we could detect as being close to useful were transfers, however even for these there was no Action, other transactions were nothing more than a date and an amount.

In looking at a CSV file from an Investment account, it read as you would expect a statement to read like, not something that you could expect to be imported into Investment Accounts in financial software, much, but not all, of the data was there but not in a useful structure.

We also looked at a CSV file of Investment Transactions and while initially this did look promising (we were thinking of using a QIF converter) on closer examination the data is incomplete. Specifically it uses the Ticker rather than the Security Name, there are no transfer transactions and there are no categories. The action given also does not match to what is normally accepted and the data lacks descriptions.

To somehow get something that is useful you would have to somehow bring both CSV files together as well as reformat and derive some data. Not a simple undertaking.

To see for yourself what data there is open the Investment Account register and use the instructions given above except select the CSV format. To generate an Investment transaction CSV Select the Portfolio Icon, then select the Investment Transaction tab, ensure the specific account in question is selected in the side bar, and then use the File → Export menu item as you did before, you will only have selections like CSV, TXT and HTML, choose CSV. It is best to view these files in a spreadsheet.

At this time we do not see a ready way of migrating Investment accounts/transactions from AceMoney to Moneydance.

1. dwg closed this discussion on 21 Mar, 2020 08:26 PM.

Comments are currently closed for this discussion. You can start a new one.

Keyboard shortcuts

Generic

? Show this help
ESC Blurs the current field

Comment Form

r Focus the comment reply box
^ + ↩ Submit the comment

You can use Command ⌘ instead of Control ^ on Mac