Edit Category View/Window Improvement

avp2

19 Jun, 2009 02:40 AM

I would like to see the total for a parent category show in the "balance" column, instead of in the "total" column as it does now, and the "total" column show a category running total.

I realize some may be use the parent category zero balance for hiding. However, that function could be handled much better with user settable "hide" selectors. Seems like one, or more, such selectors (income, expense, blue, red, green, etc, accounts for instance) used with a screen print could be a straight forward way to make a real improvement in MD's reporting capability.

1. 1 Posted by Ben Spencer on 22 Jun, 2009 07:29 PM

Hi avp2

I am not sure I understand your suggestion. It is quite possible to post a transaction to a parent category as well as to it children. This means that parent categories can have balances as well as the sub categories. Please see the attached screen shot.

In the screen shot you can see that there are balances for Automotive and balances for the sub categories of Automotive. The total column shows the sum all all transactions posted to Automotive and all of its children.

Sincerely

Ben Spencer

2. 2 Posted by avp2 on 22 Jun, 2009 07:59 PM

I realize that a parent category could have transactions itself. However, that does not make seem very useful to me. To me, the only reason for a parent is to organize its sub-categories into sub-totaled groups. My suggestion is to show the parent subtotal in the now unused/zeroed balance column (if you do not have transactions posted to the parent itself of course) and thus allow the total column to be used for a running total, possibly with an automatic income and expense subtotal.

I could be missing something, but it seems to me the only reason one might post to a parent (vs one of its sub's) is due to mistake or because the parent was made from a category with existing transactions and it was too much trouble to move them to the proper sub/s (understandable given the existing dysfunctional category batch change which means you would have to do it one at a time from account views).

3. 3 Posted by Alexander Mille... on 07 Jul, 2009 09:31 PM

AVP2: "it seems to me the only reason one might post to a parent (vs one of its sub's) is due to mistake......."

Not so. I frequently find expenses occurring that don't fit in any existing sub-category but aren't important enough to go to the trouble of creating one. If I did that my list would get far too long & nit-picky for my liking. So those just get popped into the parent - nice & handy.
    Admittedly, otherwise I could have a sub-category "other" or "miscellaneous" within every parent, but I prefer not to duplicate any name if I can avoid it.

4. Angie Rauscher closed this discussion on 24 Jul, 2011 06:49 PM.

Comments are currently closed for this discussion. You can start a new one.

Keyboard shortcuts

Generic

? Show this help
ESC Blurs the current field

Comment Form

r Focus the comment reply box
^ + ↩ Submit the comment

You can use Command ⌘ instead of Control ^ on Mac