Suggestion for reports to show cost basis and capital gains information with "Lot Matching" details

magellan

21 Aug, 2019 11:52 PM

Hello,

Unless I'm missing something, there doesn't seem to be a way to get a report on all currently open tax lots or to see the specific lots that were used to generate the cost basis information shown in the built-in cost basis and capital gains reports. Again, maybe I'm confused, but I don't see how one could fill out tax returns for lot matching sales given the built-in reports that are provided.

Fortunately, someone did a fantastic job creating a way to for users to interact with moneydance data using python. Really nice job on that, btw. The Moneybot console allowed me to create 2 python scripts to get the reports I think I need to plan tax sales and to do my taxes.

I may try building an extension to create these reports, but just in case something like this is on your roadmap, I thought I'd post the python scripts so you'll have an example of what at least one customer thinks would be useful to have in these reports.

1. 1 Posted by kepler on 26 Aug, 2019 03:22 PM

Hi magellan

Thanks for the great python script for open lots. It has been very helpful. It certainly is something MD could use.

I've been thinking of learning a little bit about python and have used your script to help me. Changing things and seeing what the results are.

Just curious, what resource did you use to learn the interface with MD?

kepler

2. 2 Posted by magellan on 26 Aug, 2019 04:39 PM

My main source of info on the MD api was their docs from here:
      https://infinitekind.com/dev/apidoc/index.html

There were cases where I got stuck and I had some success just googling MoneyDance API class names. This usually pointed me to various contributors' public repos on places like bitbucket or github.

I also did various google searches for things like "moneydance python" and moneydance extensions" and that brought up a bunch of example code also, although a lot of the code examples are in Java (which I already know fortunately).

3. 3 Posted by kepler on 27 Aug, 2019 12:55 PM

Thanks for the info.

4. System closed this discussion on 26 Nov, 2019 01:00 PM.

Comments are currently closed for this discussion. You can start a new one.

Keyboard shortcuts

Generic

? Show this help
ESC Blurs the current field

Comment Form

r Focus the comment reply box
^ + ↩ Submit the comment

You can use Command ⌘ instead of Control ^ on Mac