Scheduled/Periodic Export Backup

dts

18 Jan, 2020 01:53 PM

One feature that I had in Quicken that appears to be missing in Moneydance (or I just cant find it) would seem to be easy to implement.
With Quicken one could select to perform a timestamped manual backup (in moneydance terminology "Export Backup") periodically, say every fifth automatic backup.
This backup can be configured to a different location as part of the process which means that if directed to a different drive or protected location, it establishes a separate group of backups that can be used should there be a file corruption or a drive failure.

I realize I can do this manually and do now, and I do perform a rigorous offline backups that would also potentially save my data, but having the backup of this vital data happen automatically without having to resort to Task Scheduler or file recovery or other work arounds is something that has value should there be an issue.

Perhaps consider an automatic periodic Export Backup with the ability to direct it to a separate locations from the normal backups.

1. 1 Posted by TonyRI on 18 Jan, 2020 03:15 PM

Hi dts,

To save backups automatically, go to:

File > Preferences > Backup Tab

Automatic Backups default to C:\Users\username\moneydance\archive\backups (in windows), but you can choose a different folder. It will save backups automatically upon closing the app. You can select the number of automatic daily backups to save (default is 5).

I have automatic backups set to store on my computer, however I keep my manually exported files on my external drive. However you decide to store the backups, the last folder selected for a manual export will be chosen the next time you export.

Hope that this helps,

Tony (NOT from Moneydance Support)

2. 2 Posted by davet65 on 22 Jan, 2020 08:34 PM

I don't think the existing Automatic Backups fully addresses the issue. I don't routinely close MD, so even though I have Automatic Backups turned on, it doesn't back up unless I Export Backup [or close] !

How about Automatic Backups having a choice to back up every X days? And when closed, MD creates a separate "archive" back up? Kind of like it does now - the Export Backup files have different format file names than the close app backups.

3. 3 Posted by dts on 22 Jan, 2020 08:42 PM

Agreed the automatic backups don’t really address the request.
    Every X days would work. I was thinking every 5th close, but your idea actually covers your example of never closing the app and meets the same concept which is a different file format from the automatics.
    Even better would be to be able to specify the location for these specific time based backups separate from the automatic location. That gives a redundant backup in new location if desired, if not desired simply choose the default backup location.

4. System closed this discussion on 22 Apr, 2020 08:50 PM.

Comments are currently closed for this discussion. You can start a new one.

Keyboard shortcuts

Generic

? Show this help
ESC Blurs the current field

Comment Form

r Focus the comment reply box
^ + ↩ Submit the comment

You can use Command ⌘ instead of Control ^ on Mac