Improvements to Moneydance Transaction Matching

Randy

06 Jul, 2009 10:30 PM

Forgive me if this has already been requested, but I searched Trac and couldn't find an entry for it.

Again, my experience is with Microsoft Money, so I guess I am looking for functionality in Moneydance to get closer to that.

When new transactions came in from my financial institutions in Money, it tried to match them as best it could, but it gave me the option to "edit" the transaction and select any existing transaction already in the register to match it to, just in case it guessed wrong. I could just check a box next to the existing transaction and it would match the two, even if the description or amount, etc was different.

The existing transactions already in my register were cases where I entered checks or other charges prior to downloading from the financial institution. Money would update the transaction date, and the status, but would leave my splits (if any), and my description.

Is something similar planned for Moneydance 2010?

1. 1 Posted by Randy on 08 Jul, 2009 02:12 PM

I haven't heard from anyone about this, so I been experimenting more with Moneydance.

One thing that is different in Moneydance is the "delete" button available in the window for incoming transactions to be matched. At first I was reluctant to use this, my fear was that it would delete the transaction in my register, as well as the one coming it. With further testing, it now appears that it only deletes the incoming transaction, and leaves the one in the register intact. It also appears that deleting updates whatever flag is used for last downloaded transaction, so the incoming downloaded transaction doesn't appear again in the next download.

So I guess the intention is that if Moneydance matches an incoming transaction to the wrong one in the register, you just delete it in the transaction matching window, and edit the correct one in the register, if you need to update the status, or correct the date, etc.

While this isn't as good as offering a manual matching capability, (more editing required by the user), it is better than nothing.

Is that the intent? The help file isn't detailed enough on this. If you have other documentation I should be looking at, please let me know.

2. 2 Posted by Ben Spencer on 28 Jul, 2009 06:01 PM

Hi Randy

I am sorry for not responding sooner, the forum has been quite lately.

You are correct I do not believe it is currently possible to match to a transaction that has not been identified as a possible match by Moneydances matching algorithm.

Typically what I do in a situation where I have a slightly incorrect transaction in my register that I know should be a match with a downloaded transaction that is not listed as a match, is to recorded the correct incoming transaction as form the bank as "New Transaction (No Match)" and then select the incorrect transaction in the register and hit delete on my keyboard. This can be done without exiting the import process.

I am in agreement with you that this is not ideal and it would be less time consuming for the user if they could override the possible match list and select which transaction to match to in the register. To that end I have created a suggestion ticket in our issue tracking system. Here is the link:

http://moneydance.com/trac/ticket/2017

If you register and log into trac you can vote on this ticket. The more votes a ticket gets the more likely it will be implemented.

Sincerely

Ben Spencer

3. Angie Rauscher closed this discussion on 24 Jul, 2011 06:51 PM.

Comments are currently closed for this discussion. You can start a new one.

Keyboard shortcuts

Generic

? Show this help
ESC Blurs the current field

Comment Form

r Focus the comment reply box
^ + ↩ Submit the comment

You can use Command ⌘ instead of Control ^ on Mac