Show individual lines on account balance graph with sub-accounts

jkosa

01 Mar, 2020 03:39 AM

Hello - I'm only 1mo into using Moneydance - switched from Quicken 2017 & a manual spreadsheet for certain asset accounts. Been spending a bit of time lately on reports. Here's one I don't believe I can produce in MD, any suggestions on how I can achieve it?

Short version: a graph that shows multiple lines with the Account Balances of several Assets over many quarters, I'm willing to make a parent account with sub-accounts for each.

Longer version: I have several accounts I think should be set up as Assets. They are investments like IRAs, Annuities and 529s that are with banks with no ofx integration. I have been tracking the quarterly account balances in an excel spreadsheet just to see how they have been performing over the past 15+ years. I've already determined that I can take my excel data and with a minor effort create csv files to import into MD so I'd have the data in Money Dance - each quarter there's a xan for the "change in value" of each account's balance. I'm willing to setup a parent account, i.e., IRAs, and then sub accounts under that for each one. Then I want to graph these to see several lines on one graph showing the ups and downs of the account values.

Related: would be nice to do this for Investment type accounts too but since you can only select 1 account (with or without sub accounts) I have no way to compare my investment performance in a graphical way.

1. Support Staff 1 Posted by Ethan on 01 Mar, 2020 05:41 PM

Hello,

You're correct that Moneydance doesn't have this function in graphs. Only one account balance or asset is graphed at a time for those graphs. In these situations, I usually recommend that people export their data from a relevant report to a spreadsheet to make the desired graph, although it sounds like you're already starting from a spreadsheet.

Ethan
    Infinite Kind Support

2. 2 Posted by jkosa on 02 Mar, 2020 08:37 PM

Yes, Ethan, I've already got all the data in a spreadsheet, so without this graphing function in Moneydance I'll probably not setup these accts in MD. Is there a set of suggestions or features that the dev team is working on regarding graphs? Or, is there anyone working on an extension for more robust graphs?

3. System closed this discussion on 01 Jun, 2020 08:40 PM.

Comments are currently closed for this discussion. You can start a new one.

Keyboard shortcuts

Generic

? Show this help
ESC Blurs the current field

Comment Form

r Focus the comment reply box
^ + ↩ Submit the comment

You can use Command ⌘ instead of Control ^ on Mac