Add an option to Categories or Transaction Reminder so that they do not appear in the Reminders list

Rich W

17 May, 2020 08:07 AM

Hi
I really like using the Reminders options, but there are some recurring transactions that I have set up but I do not want them to appear in the reminders list on the summary page - I do not auto-commit them so they also go in as Overdue Transactions and I have to SKIP each transaction. I was wondering if there is a way of adding a flag to the Transaction Reminder or the Category so that it does not appear in the reminders lists on the summary page.

An alternate method to effect this same out come would also be ok if there is one, but I cant find one - the unchecked auto commit does not do this and it still shows in the reminders list, so this does not meet what I am looking for.

Thanks for all advice

1. Support Staff 1 Posted by Ethan on 17 May, 2020 06:29 PM

Hello,

There is currently no way to do this. I can run this by our development team for their consideration, but I'm wondering if you could explain in more detail why this would be a good function to have? It sort of sounds like you want to have a reminder, but not be reminded about it? Or not be reminded about that one as much as others? The main point of reminders are to let users know that something is due, and they have to take some minimal action to indicate that specific reminder is taken care of or should be skipped.

Maybe if you gave a specific example of a reminder that you didn't want to be reminded about, it would make this suggestion more clear?

Ethan
    Infinite Kind Support

2. 2 Posted by Kevin Stembridg... on 17 May, 2020 08:12 PM

Hi Ethan,

Rich and I have been discussing this in another thread. The scenario we're interested in here is where you have a transaction reminder set up for an expense that is variable. Groceries, for example.

When this is the case, there is always some extra work to do. If the reminder is auto-commit you have to edit the transaction to adjust the the date and/or amount. If it is not auto-commit you have to enter the transaction some other way and then Skip the reminder.

I would still like to see overdue reminders on the summary page but I think it would help if it were a little easier to skip them. If it were a mobile app I'd like to swipe them off the screen. Since its a desktop app, maybe a Skip button displayed on each row of the Overdue Reminders section.

Regards,
    Kevin

3. 3 Posted by Rich W on 18 May, 2020 09:01 AM

Ethan
    In addition to what Kevin was saying, which I agree would be a great option - if that is deemed not possible by the developers - then another option I would like to explore as a potential would be just to be able to exclude some categories or reminders from the Summary Reminders List. As you can see in the attached screenshot I have added some forecast transactions in the Reminders Summary - the ones that are obfuscated are the ones that I would like to see in the list (obfuscated because they are more personal). These obfuscated ones Auto commit are are real transactions and so it good to see what i have upcoming. The ones that I have named as Budget Forecast align to the point Kevin mentioned earlier - they are guides, but when the real transaction appears it is added automatically or downloaded from the online bank transactions, so these are no longer relevant for that day. These Budget Forecast entries I don't really need to see in this Summary page but are used in reports I use, so it would be good if these categories could be excluded from the list. I have set these categories as Inactive in the Categories option so I thought it may be easy to just say if the Categories are Inactive they don't appear in the Summary reminders list as there is already a flag in place which is used in the tool (this is at the top level so all subcategories are excluded by default) - see screenshot. I am aware that thIs clearly doesn't address the point of Skipping Multiple Overdue transactions which is a problem. I am aware that Kevins option is potentially a more complex one, and maybe that would take longer to introduce - another option for Kevins point could be a batch change option to Skip all Overdue transactions in one go as well

I am aware that there are two points being discussed here so if you would prefer them to be split into two separate tickets let me know, but I am trying to help by looking at options as well as just the problem - as is Kevin I see.

4. 4 Posted by Rich W on 16 Jul, 2020 08:12 AM

Hi Ethan
    I was wondering whether either of the options put forward by Kevin or myself are being considered for a future version of Moneydance and would appreciate your thoughts and advice?
    If you need me to I can change whichever you suggest into a Request for Enhancement ticket ?

Reply to this discussion

Internal reply

Formatting help / Preview (switch to plain text) No formatting (switch to Markdown)

Attaching KB article:

»

Attached Files

You can attach files up to 10MB

If you don't have an account yet, we need to confirm you're human and not a machine trying to post spam.

Keyboard shortcuts

Generic

? Show this help
ESC Blurs the current field

Comment Form

r Focus the comment reply box
^ + ↩ Submit the comment

You can use Command ⌘ instead of Control ^ on Mac