Transaction Reminder that can have a different value on different months

Rich W

22 Jul, 2020 05:53 PM

I have a direct debit that comes out of my account each month, but the values can be different. I am provided a foreword schedule of the payments for the Upcoming 12 months and I Want to add that schedule into the corresponding recurring Transaction Reminder. It’s not possible to date.
I don’t particularly want to create 12 individual reminders so I would request the facility added to enable individual reminder calendar dates to have a different value added. MSMONEY was able to do this and it would be awesome if MD could have this feature adding please?

Thanks
Rich

1. 1 Posted by dtd on 22 Jul, 2020 11:34 PM

just a user here

I'm not going to vote "yes" to this suggestion, but I understand the quandary.

For example, my rent is based on rent+utilities, so it does vary a bit each month. As was said in your other thread, I adjust the amount each month. (since I don't know the actual utility value for the next 12 months)

I personally don't have a "12 month aperture" to any of my bills. In your case how big should the table be? Obviously 12 months, but what about 3, 6, 12, or even 24? What works?

My personal "biggest issue" with reminders is credit card billing. It always says ZERO (or whatever arbitrary fixed amount I place in it). I pay in full every month, so it would be nice if the variable (but known) balance would be placed into the reminder field. Sure, someone else might not pay in full, but the suggestion of pay the balance will always be better than simply zero.

So I get your request - I'm just curious as to the design that would work for the most people.

2. 2 Posted by dwg on 22 Jul, 2020 11:50 PM

I only have the one bill where I know the amount for each month for the next 12 months, but I have a situation where I have to have two different categories - one for 9 months and the other for 3 months, its a taxation things with reporting requirements, so have found that having a reminder where I select the correct category when posting is a reasonable compromise.

The problem I have with the pay the credit card in full idea is that in my case it is the balance around a specific date that is paid, not necessarily the exact same date, and certainly not the balance on the day it is due.

3. 3 Posted by derekkent23 on 23 Jul, 2020 07:35 AM

I migrated for MS Money and that did allow you to enter different amounts and dates for scheduled transactions.

In Moneydance terms this would mean when you clicked on Reminders in the side bar to open the calendar you could click on any of the item in the list on the right. This would open a selection which read EDIT SERIES or EDIT SINGLE OCCURRENCE. Clicking EDIT SERIES would open the existing EDIT TRANSACTION REMINDER window. Clicking EDIT SINGLE OCCURRENCE would open a window listing the next 12 occurrences. Selecting one of these would open the same EDIT TRANSACTION REMINDER window but for the selected occurrence which you could edit the amount, date etc. Dependant on the frequency of the transaction the 12 would be 12 weeks or 12 months etc. This feature I miss.

I also think the credit card pay in full reminder is a good idea with the one draw back that two dates are involved. The statement date and the payment date and for me at least these vary by a few days each month if they occur at the weekend.

The first suggestion I put to Sean on this Slack site and he thought was a great idea and said he would put it on his to do list, but that was some years ago.

4. 4 Posted by Rich W on 23 Jul, 2020 04:14 PM

To be clear all - 12 months was an example not a direct requirement. Let me say if this suggestion aligned to derekkent23, would that be more acceptable

5. 5 Posted by Rich W on 19 Aug, 2020 05:31 PM

Hi - I haven’t seen an update for this. Is there a way this could be considered as a suggestion?

6. System closed this discussion on 18 Nov, 2020 05:40 PM.

Comments are currently closed for this discussion. You can start a new one.

Keyboard shortcuts

Generic

? Show this help
ESC Blurs the current field

Comment Form

r Focus the comment reply box
^ + ↩ Submit the comment

You can use Command ⌘ instead of Control ^ on Mac