Report improvements

IanR

23 Aug, 2020 03:58 PM

Hi
I'm just coming to MD from another mac finance applications and am generally very pleased with it so far.

I have been trying out the reports and noticed a few things that could be improved:
- for the Income & Expense Detailed report, the OK/Cancel buttons are not in consistent positions in the Edit & Select Accounts dialog boxes and the title of the account selection dialog box is "Selected Categories".

- in the Income & Expense Detailed and the Cashflow Detailed reports, I have been drilling-down into transactions to clean-up comments, etc and then close the transaction list with Command-W, but the report doesn't refresh (as it's in a separate window I presume) so I have to press Edit then OK to refresh the report parameters and see the changes I made. It would be great to have a "Refresh" button on the report toolbar to do this more easily.

- Tag Summary report - don't see much use for this summary without being able to drill-down into underlying transactions. Can this be added please ? Actually this is what the Tranactions report seems to be - a detailed tag listing.

- Transaction Filter report - selection parameters seem confusing to me. Can only select All accounts or a single account. Why not allow multiple accounts to be selected ?

Thanks

1. 1 Posted by mhoggie on 23 Aug, 2020 04:41 PM

just a user,

The reports have not changed much over many years. I do know that the Transaction Filter report has some issues, but the rest is just a matter of having the reports work the way you need. I wish they would just create a fully customizable report like you would have on any database. You would need to learn a bit about syntax and database structure, but many of us would enjoy that challenge.

Just a suggestion because you are new to MD and may need to restructure your imported transactions to fit your needs on MD. I found the "Find and Replace" extension very useful to cleanup and rearrange all my transactions. Check it out.

Mike

2. 2 Posted by IanR on 23 Aug, 2020 04:56 PM

Thanks for the feedback - I am using the Find & Replace extension but have found the ability to select multiple transactions and right-click / batch change to be very good as well to get Payees, etc consistent.

I agree on having a single report all-encompassing report - I just found that the Income & Expense Detailed Report is just about that - allows me to select one or more accounts, one or more categories, one or more tags, for a date range, with drill-down. Just need refresh option!.

Ian

3. 3 Posted by Ben on 24 Aug, 2020 07:50 PM

Ian, you might like the Advanced Search (on the menu at Edit > Advanced Search, or from ordinary Search results by clickin Adbnced Search at top right). It allows Batch Change after a search that can be even more specific than in Find & Replace.

4. 4 Posted by IanR on 26 Aug, 2020 09:28 AM

Thanks Ben, I'll take a look!

5. 5 Posted by IanR on 31 Aug, 2020 05:01 PM

Flagging my original post for consideration by IK to improve reports.....

6. System closed this discussion on 30 Nov, 2020 05:10 PM.

Comments are currently closed for this discussion. You can start a new one.

Keyboard shortcuts

Generic

? Show this help
ESC Blurs the current field

Comment Form

r Focus the comment reply box
^ + ↩ Submit the comment

You can use Command ⌘ instead of Control ^ on Mac