If there is a "transfer to", it is the only correct to have a "transfered from" on the other side

Moneyman

06 Aug, 2009 03:24 AM

Dear Brian & MD team,

I've been using moneydance for a short period of time and there are 2 suggestions i'd like to make:

1.Since the double entry system is introduced into the program, then if I make a transfer transaction BETWEEN a bank account(for example, checking) to an asset account(like cash), then if there is a "transfer to", it is only correct to have a "transfered from" on the other side of the same transcation.
But what I've found in the program is "the other side" shows the same description with the entry's you've made from your side.
Would you fix it? I think if acemoney can do it, you of course can too.

2.Would you please add a third option after clicking on creating a new file? It'll let us choose the number of decimal point and date format for us. Some countries don't use units less than a dollar.

Thank you.

Best regards,

Moneyman

1. 1 Posted by Ben Spencer on 07 Aug, 2009 09:09 PM

Hi Moneyman

Thank you for your suggestions. Perhaps I am misunderstanding your suggestion. The way I think of double entry book keeping is not that money is transfered between accounts rather transactions exist where there is a debit and a credit and the debits match the credits. All transactions have two sides. It is not clear to be where you are suggesting the words "transfer to" and "transfered from" would fit into the program and what function they would perform.

With regards to creating a new file you can set the date from at by selecting File->Preferences. And the number of decimal paces used is determined by the type of currency selected as the base currency.

Sincerely

Ben Spencer

2. Angie Rauscher closed this discussion on 24 Jul, 2011 06:51 PM.

Comments are currently closed for this discussion. You can start a new one.

Keyboard shortcuts

Generic

? Show this help
ESC Blurs the current field

Comment Form

r Focus the comment reply box
^ + ↩ Submit the comment

You can use Command ⌘ instead of Control ^ on Mac